#pergtrip - North Coast 500 + Isle of Skye and Cairngorms

Soldato
So a few of us have just got back from Scotland after an amazing week driving round the highlands. We've probably got combined 1TB of videos and pictures so thought it would be worth sharing some of the sights, video clips and information for anyone wanting to visit Scotland themselves.

Attendees were myself, mrk, JanesyB, InvaderGIR and Clown.

Quite a few pictures are already online on our Instagram accounts.

@peterattheboro
@robbiekhan
@janesyb
@rsbarton87
@andrewdashb

The Route

nc500route.jpg

The standard route runs from Inverness over to the west towards Gairloch and then clockwise around the coast. We did it in reverse, anti-clockwise from Inverness, upto John O Groats and all the way round to Gairloch. This is where we created our own route and included the incredible but slightly busy Applecross Pass (Bealach na Ba) and then over to the amazing Isle of Skye.
We then went back on ourselves, down towards Fort William, over to the Cairngorms to drive the Old Military Road (A939) and also ride the funicular to the top of the mountain!

From there we did the final leg to Edinburgh where we ended the trip.

Anyway, some pics.

20160821_132711.jpg

20160822_162947.jpg

We also had a stop off at Dunrobin Castle on the way to JOG.

20160822_114618.jpg

20160822_115106.jpg

We of course had a go of each other's cars.

20160822_170615.jpg

Called into Cocoa Mountain in Durness for one of the best hot chocolates ever :)

20160823_103759.jpg

This bridge will look familiar if you read Evo mag.

20160823_120814.jpg

I'll leave that there. There's so much more to the holiday and the other guys have far better pictures than me :D

Just have to say that JanesyB organised it all and did a fantastic job. All of the accommodation and food has been spot on and we can recommend all the places we stayed at.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
And your reason for not inviting me to this is......? ;)

I didn't organise it :p

[TW]Fox;29948707 said:
So close to Glencoe without swinging past :(

Need to save something for next time ;)

I'm definitely going again but will avoid JOG and Durness and just stay further south as the roads are better. Isle of Skye was absolutely amazing and can include Glencoe next time :)

Soldato
OP
Saying I'd miss out the north coast next time and just stay around Skye and Cairngorms, Kyle of Tongue is absolutely stunning. Just a massive causeway with a road through the middle. The views are breathtaking. Was actually jealous of the camper vans who were pitching up there for the night.

20160822_200720.jpg

Also had a play with a Clio 200 up to that point. We turned off to stop for pictures behind him and he turned round and came back for a chat and just talked about the roads around Scotland and where we were heading :cool:

Soldato
OP
WARNING

When chasing down slow M3s in your 200bhp hot hatch, try not to sit on his arse ;)

20160828_200018.jpg

Seriously though, there's a lot of loose stones and if you're up there in convoy, try and keep a good distance from the car in front.. no matter how slow they are going :p

Soldato
OP
This wasn't an OcUK meet. We all met through the forum but we've been chatting privately for a few years now and this trip was 2 years in the making. Was hard enough for Bryan organising us loonies let alone anymore :p

This would be great with more people and perhaps we can sort something out but people would need to organise accommodation themselves and we'd just share the route and stick to a schedule.

With more cars we would need to split up down the single track roads as the locals can get frustrated with a load of cars coming past in convoy.

Soldato
OP
Great route, great location, great cars

Not jealous at all :p

Great food?

All the food was fantastic apart from one place in Dunvegan which was a bit average.

The stand out meal for me was the Fish and Chips at Kylesku Hotel.

20160823_131912.jpg

With this view outside...

20160823_124657.jpg

http://www.kyleskuhotel.co.uk/

We didn't stay over at the hotel but I think that's going to be on the agenda for next time.

Soldato
OP
The only issue I had when things got a bit spirited is when people start taking racing lines, the stones and lose chippings getting kicked up is a lot, but either don't follow so close or tell your colleagues in front of you if they want to drive fast then great, but either drive fast enough so they do not hold you up or at least stay on their side of the road. :D

Yeah cos this happens :p

Soldato
OP
Regarding the places we missed. We did A LOT of driving and I already do 30,000 miles a year through work. By the end of the week I was starting to feel tired and was a bit sick of all the driving.

We (Bryan) timed it perfectly where I felt completely satisfied with what we achieved. If we did anymore than I would probably not have enjoyed it.

I'm happy that we've missed stuff because that means we are going back (or at least I am) and can experience Glencoe etc.

Back
Top Bottom