petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Man of Honour
My brother let his car get right down - just over 30 miles or so - he popped out to get a haircut in the town the opposite side to where I work and not a single fuel station had any - I went out the other way on my way to work and had a look around for him - pretty much nothing - one garage had had a delivery a 3pm but it had all gone by 5.30. Not sure what he is going to do as he needs to do a long distance drive for work :s

Hopefully some places have a delivery overnight/Sunday morning.

Soldato
Associate
I've been trying to fill my motorcycle up since Friday morning, my usual fill up time. Out of the 4 stations I go past on the way to work, the first had a queue of 20 - 30 cars on the road blocking access to a roundabout, the second had queues for over a mile, I doubt they were all queueing for the station, but they had caused such a tailback of standstill traffic, the third was closed, and the fourth had the smallest queue, but is on the opposite side of the dual carriageway. On the way home from work, nothing had changed, tried again on the way in on Saturday morning, same thing. Nothing changed by Saturday afternoon, other than the one closest to home, and my usual station was now closed too.

Got up early this morning as I'm completely empty now, and can't even get to a station further than my usual stop, and they were queuing but only 6 or 7 cars waiting for the pumps, I hopped off to check the pumps, nothing but E10. No diesel, and no VPower unleaded. I can't use E10. Great.

Every time I fill up normally there are at most 2 - 3 other cars at the station. Yet no one is panic buying, oh no. Just being prepared, or buying fuel they actually need... It's ridiculous.

Associate
I filled up at my local Morrisons yesterday afternoon and there was no queue. Drove past 3 petrol stations on the way and all 3 were quiet so doesn't seem like much of a problem near me.

Soldato
Someone on our local neighbourhood Facebook group just posted a short video of the huge queue they were sitting in to get fuel at the local Asda. As she pans the camera past her own dashboard, you can clearly see her fuel gauge showing 3/4 full :/

Associate
Someone on our local neighbourhood Facebook group just posted a short video of the huge queue they were sitting in to get fuel at the local Asda. As she pans the camera past her own dashboard, you can clearly see her fuel gauge showing 3/4 full :/

Hah, same as most others.

There was a lot of traffic last night, several asshats doing way below the speed limit. One chap doing 50 on the motoway.

Soldato
I sat behind a lorry on M11 and A14 the other week as couldn't be bothered constantly switch lanes - never seen such good mpg my trip on dash showed 50 average (it's possibly slightly optimistic) never seen it so high

That's on a Petrol 182hp version of a 1.6 Focus Ecoboost

I'll be doing it more often cheaper and to be honest less stress for what 10 min longer journey ?

Soldato
Looks like almost the whole country is dry right now according to this map!
Motorway Fuel Closures - Motorway Services, Fuel Shortage | service station info (motorwayservicesonline.co.uk)

Spent the last hour trying to find some petrol in London lengthy queues but almost every single forecourt I visited is bone dry apart from a small amount of diesel! The government are way out of touch 100 stations only empty its way more than that !!

It's not because of the government though...they haven't bought all the fuel. It's the panic buying spazzers who have caused this, egged on by the media. If everyone just got on with their lives as normal there'd be very few problems.

Soldato
Filled both cars yesterday. Took ages to find fuel.

Why did I do this?

Because... somehow.. both were on the fuel light and we both need cars for work Monday...

Was odd that we're both ran empty on the same day.... I bet that's the case for everyone hahaha

Soldato
can you syphon petrol from modern cars ?
had been planning trip today, but only enough to get there, where one of family members has a full tank

Caporegime
A big part of the problem running stations dry is the supply chain is geared to keep stations topped up, not filled from empty.

One tanker usually visits numerous sites, instead, you'll need more than one to fill a dry site, the chain can't do this without serious knock on effects..

And I'm reading this morning its the Road Haulage Association who leaked the "problem" to the media - and said media stirred up the panic , no surprise there, an organisation about as much use to my industry as an empty fuel tank....

This is not going to resolve anytime soon alas.

But hey, don't worry, 5000 foreign drivers will rock up next week and save the day..../ after the debacle of them being stranded last Christmas? Really? and, its a 3 month scheme, just how many are going to look at our offer of "Come over and save us for 3 months then **** off back home" and think "Great, I'm on my way"....

Laughable.

can you syphon petrol from modern cars ?
had been planning trip today, but only enough to get there, where one of family members has a full tank
Not easily, modern cars are designed to prevent this.

Caporegime
Hgvs have been able to do 60mph since 2015, as long as they are newer than that.
Older hgvs can't have their limit increased from 56mph.
The legal minit is 60MPH,and has been for a very long time, Hgv's are all speed limited to 90Km/h which equates to 55.9 mph, the variance is to allow for whats called overspeeding i.e. the momentum of the vehicle causing a speed increase downhill for example.

Soldato
It's not because of the government though...they haven't bought all the fuel. It's the panic buying spazzers who have caused this, egged on by the media. If everyone just got on with their lives as normal there'd be very few problems.
I agree the people who went crazy with jerry cans etc etc but the government are also the ones spreading this ONLY 100 stations closed nonsense...in London its more like all stations are out of petrol. Look at this map it does not lie! Talked to a few fellow motorists this morning on the futile hunt for fuel many are simply working class people who need it for their job!
Motorway Fuel Closures - Motorway Services, Fuel Shortage | service station info (motorwayservicesonline.co.uk)

Back
Top Bottom