petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
media caused this. it is no less than an attack on the uk.
media should be fined to cover the damage they caused and banned from doing it again.
and the bbc should lose their fee money, otherwise it's just fining ourselves, cut them off.

The ultra wealthy causing the masses to panic is a great distraction for the politicians.

Soldato
Yeah....that's not how it works. Agency rates rise and fall of course, but if a full time employer raises wages by 20% this year to make up for years of stagnant growth, do you really think workers will accept a 20% cut next year??

Depends how bothered they are when the owners of the business say "This business is no longer profitable and the market won't support the prices we now need to charge, if we don't cut our wage bill by 20% we'll be going into administration"

Soldato
Most of our drivers at work are staying put, but they've had a decent pay rise. They keep asking me to get my medical and do it again but naah, Scania's post (and rpmmatt) is spot on.
The chickens are coming home to roost, the industry and country should have been paying professional drivers better and not treating them like **** for years.

Soldato
It's a shame you can't exploit foreign workers anymore isn't it.

Yeah, like to that's going to stop... exploitation of workers is going to increase but I wouldn't expect you to see this. At least you'll be earning more though, congratulations!

Soldato
Absolutely hit the nail on the head, I’ve been driving HGV’s since 1996 yet get paid the same rate as someone passing their test tomorrow…

WkJOSl9.jpg

62.5 hours after a further 3:45 deducted for my breaks, note my overtime rate is exactly the same as my day rate, I start most days @ 4am which means I’m up at 3am…

What part of the above is an attractive proposition to anyone wanting to enter the industry?

We've just upped our Class 1 rate to £14.72, I still feel thats low and we are struggling with recruitment around the country.

Associate
Depends how bothered they are when the owners of the business say "This business is no longer profitable and the market won't support the prices we now need to charge, if we don't cut our wage bill by 20% we'll be going into administration"

Happens all the time. You get different coloured polo shirts and a new livery on the truck. The stuff still needs moving , the jobs don't disappear.

OcUK Staff
Absolutely hit the nail on the head, I’ve been driving HGV’s since 1996 yet get paid the same rate as someone passing their test tomorrow…

WkJOSl9.jpg

62.5 hours after a further 3:45 deducted for my breaks, note my overtime rate is exactly the same as my day rate, I start most days @ 4am which means I’m up at 3am…

What part of the above is an attractive proposition to anyone wanting to enter the industry?

So 20 years of service and loyalty to your employer and not a single pay rise, no wonder the experienced truckers are walking out and I don't blame you. Employers and manufacturers I feel should be at least showing respect to the employees who have put in the time and been loyal, should be some kind of yearly payrise or an extra days holiday awarded each year, just something as a thank you for sticking with us and remaining loyal and been a great employee.

If employers don't reward the good staff, the end result is they go elsewhere or they quit.

Went the pet shop at lunch time to grab some food for the fish and all the petrol stations on the route were rammed with some overflowing out on the roads and traffic chaos, thankfully managed to avoid it all apart from an Audi more or less crashing into me as they decided to use turn right only lane to go straight ahead.

Soldato
On the way back from work I noticed the morons are out panic buying petrol now. Queing out on to the roundabout. Probably with a few jerry cans even though there is no actual shortage and they are causing it themselves :/

Last edited:
Associate
I hope there is still some 99 left on my way home from work after 10 tonight.

Got 1/4 of a tank, in a rotary that gets you about 10 miles :cry:.

Man of Honour
Boris is a muppet telling people not to panic. As soon as he did that it was obvious everyone was going to run for the pumps.

My mini and Evoque are almost empty and I expect my local petrol stations are wiped out by now. So we'll have to be careful how much we use them. Luckily my Corrado and motorbike are already full. While not exactly famly transport they might come in handy.

Soldato
So 20 years of service and loyalty to your employer and not a single pay rise, no wonder the experienced truckers are walking out and I don't blame you. Employers and manufacturers I feel should be at least showing respect to the employees who have put in the time and been loyal, should be some kind of yearly payrise or an extra days holiday awarded each year, just something as a thank you for sticking with us and remaining loyal and been a great employee.

If employers don't reward the good staff, the end result is they go elsewhere or they quit.

Went the pet shop at lunch time to grab some food for the fish and all the petrol stations on the route were rammed with some overflowing out on the roads and traffic chaos, thankfully managed to avoid it all apart from an Audi more or less crashing into me as they decided to use turn right only lane to go straight ahead.

Nevermind the papers are reporting that Boris is "tired of bad headlines" so has decided to lift the restrictions on EU and foreign drivers so expect those to start pouring in. So yet another short term quick fix for a long term problem.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do enlighten me dear galaxy brain.

We're going to get told off for going wildly off topic but I'll say that I have no issue with people wanting to earn fair wages. Citing brexit as being a positive thing because HGV drivers get a pay raise is missing the point by some way. Have you seen how much brexit has cost the country so far?

Anyway, I'll say no more in the topic as the mods will get a boner over it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
@Scania £550 a month ? thats a disgrace !
you get more in a supermarket !
Per week. It would be rather illegal to pay somebody that amount for the 62.5 hours worked every week for a month :p

Agree though, poor pay given the length of service. I can see why there is such a shortage.

Associate
We've just upped our Class 1 rate to £14.72, I still feel thats low and we are struggling with recruitment around the country.

What area? Our place (red and yellow) is just over £18 an hour but we asking for £22. We are in the Midlands. There is still huge regional variations.

@Scania £550 a month ? thats a disgrace !
you get more in a supermarket !

Agreed.

Back
Top Bottom