petrol stations price discussion (was ‘chaos’)

Soldato
Pembroke refinery is taking 10 mscd of gas, there is no shortage on production but my Tesco's is rammed...

I suppose they can stockpile the petrol with that live time of toilet roll...

******* retards

Caporegime
So 20 years of service and loyalty to your employer and not a single pay rise, no wonder the experienced truckers are walking out and I don't blame you. Employers and manufacturers I feel should be at least showing respect to the employees who have put in the time and been loyal, should be some kind of yearly payrise or an extra days holiday awarded each year, just something as a thank you for sticking with us and remaining loyal and been a great employee.

If employers don't reward the good staff, the end result is they go elsewhere or they quit.

Went the pet shop at lunch time to grab some food for the fish and all the petrol stations on the route were rammed with some overflowing out on the roads and traffic chaos, thankfully managed to avoid it all apart from an Audi more or less crashing into me as they decided to use turn right only lane to go straight ahead.
In fairness to my current mob, I’ve been there since 2017 and in that time my pay has gone from £10.25 p/hr to £12 although the last rise was only a few months back, as I said in an earlier post, I was earning £9.75 p/hr in 2007, the wages have practically stood still for well over a decade.

Higher rates are being banded about but it’s often better the devil you know, a few local ones are offering higher rates but no guarantee of the rate being maintained i.e. once the shortage is eased they intend to drop the rates again….

Ultimately, I’ve been driving HGV’s for 23 years now yet am on the same hourly rate as a supermarket shelf stacker. Crazy given I drive a very efficient killing machine, the only way I make a decent wage is by doing 60+ hours every week.

Much as I enjoy the driving part of the job, as soon as my financial circumstances allow I’ll be leaving the industry which is a shame , unfortunately I’m far from alone in this thinking…

Last edited:
Soldato
Happens all the time. You get different coloured polo shirts and a new livery on the truck. The stuff still needs moving , the jobs don't disappear.
I'm sure you can add 2 & 2 when it comes to seeing how folding the company and everyone having to don a different colour polo shirt could tie in with having to dish out 'pay cuts'.

If the 20% raise isn't sustainable, it'll eventually go, one way or another.

Soldato
In fairness to my current mob, I’ve been there since 2017 and in that time my pay has gone from £10.25 p/hr to £12 although the last rise was only a few months back, as I said in an earlier post, I was earning £9.75 p/hr in 2007, the wages have practically stood still for well over a decade.

£12/hr is shocking for the responsibility of driving HGVs, posties now get more than that!

Associate
I'm sure you can add 2 & 2 when it comes to seeing how folding the company and everyone having to don a different colour polo shirt could tie in with having to dish out 'pay cuts'.

If the 20% raise isn't sustainable, it'll eventually go, one way or another.

However they can't rely on cheap EU labour to get bums on seats at any hourly rate. They are going to have no choice but to pass the cost on to the client.

Our client is in the hospitality industry, so they are getting squeezed from both ends employment wise.

They have no choice but to raise pay and increase prices.

We are all going to have pay more. I wouldn't be surprised if inflation was above 10% this year, but what's the alternative? Flood the labour market again to surpress the wages of the already low paid?

Caporegime

Higher rates are being banded about but it’s often better the devil you know, a few local ones are offering higher rates but no guarantee of the rate being maintained i.e. once the shortage is eased they intend to drop the rates again….

Ultimately, I’ve been driving HGV’s for 23 years now yet am on the same hourly rate as a supermarket shelf stacker. Crazy given I drive a very efficient killing machine, the only way I make a decent wage is by doing 60+ hours every week.

Much as I enjoy the driving part of the job, as soon as my financial circumstances allow I’ll be leaving the industry which is a shame , unfortunately I’m far from alone in this thinking…
Makes you wonder, if they can suddenly turn round and offer everyone a pay rise then they could have done so before but chose not to.

I hear it any time there’s an accident involving a truck. Suddenly they’re professionals who should be better than the average driver but they’re in no way paid as such. Judging by the posts above hauliers have been taking advantage of Eastern European labour and driving down wages. Now they don’t have that option they’re suddenly having to compete for drivers.

Caporegime
Makes you wonder, if they can suddenly turn round and offer everyone a pay rise then they could have done so before but chose not to.

I hear it any time there’s an accident involving a truck. Suddenly they’re professionals who should be better than the average driver but they’re in no way paid as such. Judging by the posts above hauliers have been taking advantage of Eastern European labour and driving down wages. Now they don’t have that option they’re suddenly having to compete for drivers.

Thats what I said, brexit has exposed our reliance upon foreigners deflating wages.

Soldato
We are all going to have pay more. I wouldn't be surprised if inflation was above 10% this year, but what's the alternative?

And this is the crux of it isn't it?

We're not in a sustainable position and one of two positions will win out - the low cost environment will stay and people will eventually have to 'settle' for cheap wages once it's an employers market again or everything will become higher cost to accommodate massive wages and everyone's cost of living will go up.

There's not a realistic middle ground where loads of people get a massive wage bump and nothing else changes.

I suppose your outlook depends on how much faith you put in the idea the wages were lower because of immigrants or whether it's simply the short term quick removal of lots of them all at once causing a temporary spike that will eventually settle down again.

Associate
We are hated if we drive during the day, we are hated if we deliver at night.

I certainly wouldn't choose this industry if I was starting out my working life now.

To be fair, trucks are always pretty good to follow, consistent speeds whatever the road. It's the old farts casually driving straight roads at 30mph is my issue.

Any reasonable person respects these essential jobs. I'd not blame or judge you lot if you all suddenly sacked off the job.

On the A46 there were several signs around an area saying "not more HGVs". Rich folk with their country cottages...

Soldato
I have about a quarter of a tank left but I don't have to drive much so should be ok to wait for all the idiots to fill up and then the garages to be refilled and then I'll top up.

Associate
. I wonder how many of the panic buying people are also brexiters!
I also wonder how many were filling up because reasons, but throwing the selfish word around during CV times. A country of hypocrites we all are :D

£12/hr is shocking for the responsibility of driving HGVs, posties now get more than that!

And yet there's a shortage of them. £18ph Sunday 8hr day on agency. Reality is, working conditions for many jobs are poor, pay doesn't have to be a contender when someone is happy in their job.

Soldato
The fuel stations need to start having more dynamic pricing. If demand surges beyond supply, they should jack up the price. If people want to panic buy and stockpile fuel, the let them pay £2 a litre for it.

Back
Top Bottom