Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams

v0n

v0n

Soldato
Reported this censorship issue two days after forum software was changed from vB. That and similar issues with surnames - like the actress from Leftovers/Fargo. They asked me to stop telling them how to moderate the forum. :D

Soldato
Censoring the name of one of the finest and most influential sci-fi writers ever? I thought this forum was supposed to be all about respect. After all, isn't that the line they keep trotting out?

You used to be able to say "****" before the forum changed over. Dunno why they added it to the banned list

Probably for the same reason as turd (log you deposit in the bog) was added. :rolleyes:

Soldato
the press release gives the pedigree of all the production staff too - looks good
interesting it is being shared with Amazon Prime .. was that who the very forgettable android series was shared with too
but this , in comparison, has real actors :)

Man of Honour
Reported this censorship issue two days after forum software was changed from vB. That and similar issues with surnames - like the actress from Leftovers/Fargo. They asked me to stop telling them how to moderate the forum. :D

A false statement. The post was deleted and you were ask to post in FCD. Which you didn't do.

Man of Honour
You used to be able to say "****" before the forum changed over. Dunno why they added it to the banned list

I'm not aware of words specifically being chosen for the ban list as part of the move to the new software. I'd guess that there was some kind of default list with XenForo that was imported perhaps.

Feel free to post in FCD about it if you feel a word shouldn't be on the list. If it's the word I assume it is (actually hard to be sure, lolz) then I agree it shouldn't be filtered.

v0n

v0n

Soldato
A false statement. The post was deleted and you were ask to post in FCD. Which you didn't do.

FrenchTart buddy, not a false statement, everything I say is always 100% true story, every single time. :( Starring out of innocent words started happening at the same moment that made all user names containing competitor company names in the middle to be starred out. When I reported it in bugs thread you guys deleted my original post, mistaking it for FC discussion about moderation (perhaps my fault, maybe I made the post in funny tone or something, I just remember a list of bugs and being disheartened that I would have to type them all again). It wasn't FCD, - because how does software settings censoring Philip K's surname relate to a forum for complaints about "members of OcUK posting in a style which is deemed unacceptable", right? So I posted simplified report about the Philip K. issue again in the correct thread for bugs - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30657815 then forumite Malevolence quoted the same post for posterity https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30747905 and asked for the bug to be fixed again. We then stopped, because it looked like whoever was fixing those abandoned the thread. If FCD is for bugs, then description has to be made slightly clearer as it reads like a forum to rat out other posters for behaviour?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Here's your deleted post:

the so called "profanity" filters - you guys are taking this whole "we are toddler friendly IKEA Family forum" grandeur way too far:

**** - short for Robert, rhymes with Rick - as in **** Cheney, **** Tracy, Philip K. **** - don't be ridiculous, just stop roberting around.
**** - the word for a lump of substance that rhymes with curd - is not a swear word in any dictionary - what is this - Westboro Babtist sunday school?

Also - doesn't look like anything is being fixed for weeks - Thread title on top of this page is still in GIGANTIC font (the bigger screen you have, the bigger this thing becomes), "Share this page" below this window is still in unrelated to anything fontage, prefixed with 50 lines of padding and suffixed by a random word Tweet and G+1 icon underneath while oddly sharing by facebook is stuffed next to thread number?, talking about thread number - font is still bigger than anything on post page, BB Code Editor still doesn't have proper css, the same urine yellow theme appears in search window and few other places.

I didn't delete it but I can see why the tone of the post meant that the moderator made the decision to remove it. It's as much a rant as a report.

However, one bug I am aware of is that sometimes members don't receive reasons for deletions when we remove posts (this is being investigated) so perhaps that is part of what happened?

The FCD forum is primarily aimed to be a forum where members that have been suspended can ask further questions about why they have been suspended. The "rat out" functionality I suppose would be the RTM area though I'd not describe it as that. Either way, FCD is often used by members to raise technical issues they've found or simply to check up on whether or not they've understood the rules correctly. It also has been used to suggest changes to the rules (including the swear filter) which have often been acted upon. We would never pretend that everything about the rules or the forum is perfect and we're usually happy to discuss these further in the right forum - even if we don't always agree.

edit: Please do post in FCD. You don't need to copy-paste all this info in. I'll link to it once you've created the post. That will enable us to have a full and frank discussion about this :)

Back
Top Bottom