Philip K Dick's Electric Dreams

Soldato
First episode a bit of an anti-climax,
did not find it engaging, the attempt to portray a dystopian environment a la blade-runner/1984/Brazil/gattaca/book-eli poorly executed,
should have filmed it with modern day look (cheaper too), like Black mirror series, say, not a fan of the Sepia film style.

Does multi-organisation funding netflix , +c4 impose constraints (production line ?) on productions, compromising quality. ?

Soldato
2: "Impossible planet" and the verdict was -
acting quality and interaction of characters much better than first (Had not realised Geraldine Chaplin was a child of his)
the whimsical, Red-dwarf/Forbidden-planet view of the internals of the space-ship seemed a bit dated, even if original story was written at the Prime of 50s'ish tv.
It felt strained to drag it out to the full hour; after reading the original story synopsys seems it was close
Felt it shared some dna with Oblivion, although its roots too have themselves been attributed to Mr K.

It does highlight how good, series like the Twighlight-Zone/Outer limits were.

Soldato
I didn't think it was that close, at the end I didn't get the idea that where they had went to was actually earth. Again it was fine but I can't help thinking some of these stories are better in the minds eye than they are on screen.

Soldato
... Iidea that earth will one day be a memory for a few, since after war(50/60's nuclear) & with pollution reduced to 'ashes'.
I thought, in final scenes as they suffocated, she was projecting on him nostalgic view of what earth had been like for forefathers. (other views?)
I thought, in final scenes as they suffocated, she had a nostalgic view of what earth had been like for forefathers, with his, dreamt, participation. (other views?)

Earth was in a similar state in oblivion, lead roles were reversed, a nostalgic view of what it had been like, they did
physically return to live in an Oasis - a Hollywood dummig down. .... tenuous connection ?
How will the Hollywood remake of 2001 turn out ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok 'Real life' - the first decent episode ?
reminded me of Cronenbergs Existenz; after Timothy Spalls morose episode, and another forgettable/already-forgotten episode, this was good.

Soldato
That was by far the best episode, followed by the Timothy Spalls episode (The Commuter) which was ok. But the others are totally forgettable and to be honest not even worth watching.

Last edited:
Soldato
(no comments says it all ?) was there something redemptive later on in this last episode "Human is" - turned off after ten minutes -
seemed like scenes/acting from Blakes 7, then a gratuitous/ridiculuous orgy scene, for the USA/netflix market I guess, that was final straw.
four more episodes next year sometime

I think the prize for the best dystopian drama remains with black mirror (and Utopia)

Attempted portrayal/imagination of the future was a big problem for this series, maybe they were being faithful to the stories,
but the 60's portrayal of the future , from star-trek/invaders/blakes7 ... permeates these, and just seems outdated.
Saying that, I am not sure what the alternative is star-ttek-discovery/oblivion 'esque portrayal, maybe scenery/cgi budget was the problem.

Back
Top Bottom