Philips BDM4350UC and bad experience with Overclockers

Associate
Called O/C today to get information about the Philips BDM4350UC. Initially spoke to someone in C/S about the burn in issue which seems to be quite common all over the internet but the CS guy didn't know and told me to speak to Philips about it which I can understand.

Philips told me that it doesn't suffer from burn-in but the perceived burn-in is just ghosting!! Don't know if that is accurate or not! Additionally they told me the monitor comes with a standard 3 years warranty which usually means BACK TO BASE...

So then I saw on the O/C site that the page says 5 years warranty ON SITE (supposedly and contrary to what Philips said). Queried this with C/S who had no clue so told me to speak to support and put me through. I spoke to the support person who had no clue whatsoever and said to speak to C/S. I explained that I had been put through by C/S and as I was talking, he put the phone down!! RUDE :eek: !!

So here I am wanting to buy two monitors and these people don't want to know and care about my custom ! What am I to do??? Maybe try another retailer ?? :D

Associate
OP
I looked on there before posting ***No Personal Attacks*** .
1) I'm relaying pertinent important information regarding a MONITOR!
2) There isn't a relevant forum there as those forums are for actual queries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Assuming you still haven't ordered the Philips monitors, I would strongly advice you to stay far away from Philips. Their "support" forums are riddled with TV owners who have bad experience with their product and customer support. I'm one of them. They release their products half-baked, full of bugs, and then their firmware "upgrades" only make the sets even worse. The latest (and apparently the last) released firmware for my HDTV left the units to crash/reboot on a daily basis. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to not upgrade to it, as the changelog didn't state any relevant fixes in my case.

But now I can't let the TV access the internet, otherwise it might auto-update without consent. And SmartTV without the internet is quite useless. Then again, their user interface is so slow and clumsy that it's not actually that much of a loss, as I didn't really use it that much earlier, either. But I'm also left with the earlier bugs, naturally (color banding, huge input lag, primarily). All in all, many users have been waiting for fixes for ages. Which Philips apparently couldn't care less of.

So, if Philips' general support attitude is anything to go by, you'll be better off with going with some other manufacturer's products.

Oh, I should also mention that at least the customer support person I spoke with clearly didn't understand any of the technical aspects I talked about. So there's a big chance that the Philips contact person probably doesn't even understand what burn-in or ghosting is, let alone the difference between them.

From what I briefly searched around the net, the affected BDM4350UC units are probably suffering from "image persistence/retention". Which is indeed closer to burn-in than ghosting.

/rant end

Soldato
Assuming you still haven't ordered the Philips monitors, I would strongly advice you to stay far away from Philips. Their "support" forums are riddled with TV owners who have bad experience with their product and customer support. I'm one of them. They release their products half-baked, full of bugs, and then their firmware "upgrades" only make the sets even worse. The latest (and apparently the last) released firmware for my HDTV left the units to crash/reboot on a daily basis. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to not upgrade to it, as the changelog didn't state any relevant fixes in my case.

But now I can't let the TV access the internet, otherwise it might auto-update without consent. And SmartTV without the internet is quite useless. Then again, their user interface is so slow and clumsy that it's not actually that much of a loss, as I didn't really use it that much earlier, either. But I'm also left with the earlier bugs, naturally (color banding, huge input lag, primarily). All in all, many users have been waiting for fixes for ages. Which Philips apparently couldn't care less of.

So, if Philips' general support attitude is anything to go by, you'll be better off with going with some other manufacturer's products.

Oh, I should also mention that at least the customer support person I spoke with clearly didn't understand any of the technical aspects I talked about. So there's a big chance that the Philips contact person probably doesn't even understand what burn-in or ghosting is, let alone the difference between them.

From what I briefly searched around the net, the affected BDM4350UC units are probably suffering from "image persistence/retention". Which is indeed closer to burn-in than ghosting.

/rant end
I use one. It's fine.

Back
Top Bottom