Philips Fidelio X1 V X2

Caporegime
It's similar to when they revise something.

The X1 is basically version 1 the X2 is basically version 2 of the same headphone.

Every headphone is different, even different versions of the same headphone. Is it better is based on your own personal preferences.

e.g. if your a Billionaire buying a brand new M3 would probably be better than buying one thats 3 months old and £5K cheaper. If you earn £80K a year then it's probably better that you go for the 3 months old one and save £5K.

Another great example which contradicts the above would be the HD600 vs HD650. The HD650 is more expensive and it's a highe rmodel number. So you would think it's better. To 50% of people it will be to the other 50% the HD600 will be better. The HD650 is basically a modified HD600, some people may not like the mod and therefore better off saving £100 or whatever it is and buying the HD600.

Associate
I'm currently debating the same thing, Just built my first gaming PC and am loving it, I'm currently using just some JBL on ear headphones and can't hear nearly as much as some of my friends in games like rainbow 6. I also need to get a decent monitor as someone just gave me one for free and its a square and it has hundreds of dead pixels, love to know what you chose out of X1 or X2 or if you went with something completely different, I dont have loads of money ATM and like i said am looking at getting a monitor at some point as well but if X2's are that much better i will get them. My birthday is coming up so i could get the monitor then as am thinking i might get 1440p. Would love to know which you chose and what you thought of them.

Thanks

Associate
AKG K712 is a better all round option than the Fidelio's.

I have owned all of them.
From what i have read after seeing your reply i have gathered that the AKG's are great for spacial awareness (As are the X2's just not as good) But the X2's are much better for music. I do quite want them to be all around and be good for music as well. There is a pair of X2's on ebay for £150 or best offer, would 120 be a good deal for them? I'm not sure whether i will buy them now or save the money and put it towards a 1440p monitor and then get the headset later but at least then i know what i want

Soldato
From what i have read after seeing your reply i have gathered that the AKG's are great for spacial awareness (As are the X2's just not as good) But the X2's are much better for music. I do quite want them to be all around and be good for music as well. There is a pair of X2's on ebay for £150 or best offer, would 120 be a good deal for them? I'm not sure whether i will buy them now or save the money and put it towards a 1440p monitor and then get the headset later but at least then i know what i want

They are not better for music and definitely not better for gaming. Bass is too tubby in my opinion and the detail retrieval nowhere near as good as the AKG's. To be honest I have owned them twice and after selling the first set I ended up wanting to try them again just to be sure. Sold them soon after. That is not to say they are bad though.

The AKG's are there or thereabouts in price (about £180) and it is where I would spend my money for an all round headphone for gaming and music.

Plus if you want to get the X2's you really want the X2HR which fixed some of the issues of the X2. :)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I had both, the X1 stock cable was the main issue with the X1, high resistance cable hindered the sound quality a bit. Swapping the cable made it much better.

I rate the AKG K7XX much better for sound quality though, musically and for multimedia/gaming. The X1/X2 are much more comfortable though, still the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn. Only now do the HD650s with memory foam earpads get close, but still not exactly the same for comfort.

Soldato
One massive plus of the Fidelio over K712 is they do not need amping. I put up with it because I find the K712 the most comfortable headphones to date.

Associate
I bought Fidelio X2HR a few months ago after coming from Sennheiser HD555s which I had for 8 years. I briefly had the HiFiMan HE400i which sounded amazing but they were faulty and didn't go as loud as I would have liked unamped and also I was a bit worried about the build quality. Sent them back and got the Fidelio and I have to say I really love them. Great positional audio, have no problems 'wallhacking' in R6 and CS, and they also sound great for music too and have really nice bass (although the HE400i definitely had better bass and probably a little better sound overall). I haven't heard the K712 but have heard only good things about them. But like people have said above, Fidelios get loud enough unamped, even sound great in my phone, and also they are the comfiest headphones I have ever worn by FAR.

Back
Top Bottom