phone app

Soldato
Hi all,

I've an idea for a phone app, I know some web dev and python but no Java, Objective-C or C# experience (that last one is changing soon).

Basically, I want an app that checks the GPS location of the phone then it needs to compare that location to one in a database.

Would this be possible purely with a web based app?

I could try using Kivy with Python but from my understanding it doesn't natively support higher function use such as GPS.

Any advice on what is and isn't possible and what I need to be looking at? :D

Thanks in advance :)

Soldato
Sorry I can't answer about web apps (I suspect not though). However if at the base level all you want to do is check gps location against a database it's incredibly simple natively.

There's simple guides for both platforms.

All you'd need is a real basic knowledge of php and sql for backend and the gps check/json post could be achieved in less than 40 lines in both Java and obj-c.

Edit: having said that a quick google suggests it's relatively easy to do in html5;

http://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_geolocation.asp

Last edited:
Associate
The HTML5 geolocation is a good suggestion, but don't forget some mobile browsers probably won't support it. If you know some web languages such as JavaScript then you could use something like Cordova or PhoneGap. These tie into the Android/IOS SDK using JavaScript.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom