Photoshop - wallcovering onto room

Associate
I have searched - to no avail and after some advice

I would like to superimpose a flat picture of a wallcovering onto a picture of a room

I can get the perspective/scale correct on a blank wall with no objects in the way by creating a grid on the wall and using transform on the wallcovering which is in a separate layer

Now if the picture of the room has objects in front of the wall e.g. sofas, tables etc what is the best method of putting the wallcovering on the wall ?

Soldato
Personally I'd just cut out the sofa, table etc from the perspective adjusted image....
there are loads of ways to go about this in photoshop but I'd duplicate and hide the original layer 'just in case' you screw up

Soldato
Stick the wall covering on a layer over the picture of the room.

Tranform the wall covering layer to match the wall perspective etc.

Create a copy of the adjusted layer (just in case) and make it so it's not visible.

Create a mask on the original adjusted layer, then simply 'paint' out the areas of the walll covering where the sofa etc are. As you are using a mask if you accidentally 'paint' something out that you want, simply 'paint' it back in by swapping from white to black (or vise versa depening on settings) and painting again.

This method is better than just deleting as you can adjust as much as you want without losing anything.

Associate
OP
Well mission accomplished - thank you

"As you are using a mask if you accidentally 'paint' something out that you want, simply 'paint' it back in by swapping from white to black"

that was incredibly useful

Back
Top Bottom