php self to include full url

Associate
I am trying to include my full url on my site. example /index.php?page=demo

On my local server this bit of code worked fine.

$active = "$_SERVER[REQUEST_URI]";

however on my live server it returns blank, i think maybe due to the fact that its a windows server ?

php self works, but only returns index.php and not the full ?page=demo url

$active = ($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']);

does anyone know how i can work around this?

Thanks

Soldato
The $_SERVER superglobal is populated by the webserver so the contents can differ between different set-ups. I recommend creating a little script on the live server with the following:

Code:
<?php print_r($_SERVER); ?>

You'll want to hit that script through your web browser as opposed to executing on the CLI. View the source or wrap the above in <pre> elements to get the output in a readable format.

Needless to say, this is a good example of why it's helpful to have your development and live environments matching up as much as possible.

Soldato
I can't remember what it is now, but windows PHP has a different superglobal for request_uri.

But as above, developing on windows for a linux live environment is not something that's clever. I spent weeks relatively recently debugging a windows PHP website for deployment on an Amazon, CentOS based server. There's loads of weird idiosyncratic differences.

Associate
As sniffy says, take a look at what's in the $_SERVER variable.

If you want a pretty output of everything, make yourself a PHPInfo file - call it info.php and stick in it
<?php phpinfo(); ?>
It'll tell you every setting available in PHP and what they're set to, and you can match up the data.

From my code snippets I keep in Evernote, this should help you do things cross-platform:
PHP:
if(!isset($_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']) && strtoupper(substr(PHP_OS, 0, 3) == 'WIN') {
    $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] = $_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'];
    if($_SERVER['QUERY_STRING']) {
        $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'] .= '?' . $_SERVER['QUERY_STRING'];
    }
}

Back
Top Bottom