PHP vs ASP.NET - Which to learn

Soldato
After doing HTML, CSS, and JS, I'm looking at expanding my horizons a bit to be able to create myself websites from scratch, I'm torn between these 2.

I've been reading online and lots of people recommend both, as far as I can gather PHP is cheaper & easier to learn with zero knowledge, ASP.NET is potentially better for bigger websites, potentially better job prospects, standardised by Microsoft and I know some C# developers who could help me out if needed (But may not need it!).

What would people recommend here, based on no prior programming knowledge aside from HTML, CSS, JS.

Cheers.

Soldato
Job-wise, I have seen more openings for C# developers recently, although maybe that's just because I'm in that world. Seems to be more availability with C# though.

Previously you would need a Windows server to run an ASP.NET website. However, the very latest stuff (.NET Core) can be run on Linux & OSX and can also be developed on both those platforms, so in terms of cost to get in to it, it's now very similar to PHP. Core is still young though, so PHP is probably still the better choice if you want open source-ness, support & free, but .NET Core will catch up and maybe even take over.

I would recommend .NET myself, especially not with .NET Core out & the open source movement.

Associate
Asp Net core is a really nice redesign of Asp. It's my favourite out of all the similar web backends I've tried and worked with (php, Python/Django being the others).

It's young yes but I think exciting times are ahead for .NET in many areas such as web and mobile so it's a worthy investment.

Soldato
I would recommend PHP, because I think it's easier to learn, plus there are more script examples out there, and more help available in general. It's quick with few hurdles to overcome. Plus WordPress runs on it. So, PHP first.

Then, if you get into programming, learn ASP.net if you feel you want/need to.

Job wise there are plenty of opportunities for both.

Back
Top Bottom