PhysX enabled SLi & Crossfire systems available from OcUK

Soldato
A couple of my mates are thinking of buying these ultima extreme xfire systems.

I was wondering myself, why OcUK use the Coolermaster Wavemaster case ? I know it's a classy case, but are these extreme systems adequately cooled by 2x80mm front fans and 1x80mm rear fan ?

Soldato
Flanno said:
A couple of my mates are thinking of buying these ultima extreme xfire systems.

I was wondering myself, why OcUK use the Coolermaster Wavemaster case ? I know it's a classy case, but are these extreme systems adequately cooled by 2x80mm front fans and 1x80mm rear fan ?
i have a wavemaster my self, and i have no i dea how they clocked a fx60 in it, without give it a arctic silencer and better fans, but mine is stable witha 4000+ and a X850XT PE in it. then again i havent actually tried cracking it up to like 2.7 or anything.

Soldato
Anyone else noticed that there is only 2 RAID 0 drives there and no backup drive? Basically only 150Gb (noted they are Raptors) of storage space.

Spending 3K on that system and no backup drive.

Soldato
Which is why Raid 0 is pants.

WTF is the point in connecting two HDs togethor to make one when it doesn't even increase speed, and don't tell me it does because I've read many articles stating that it quite simply DOESN'T. I'd be quite happy with the Raptors separate; in fact I'd ring OCUK and tell them to keep them seperate.

Caporegime
It doesnt increase speed in games but it doubles the speed of file transfers. Though since it is a gaming system as you said its pointless for the target customer.

Soldato
However there are many reviews of Raid0 on the web which say the increase in speed for desktop users is hardly twice and is sometimes not noticeable even transferring files, unless you go by synthetic benchmarks. Raid0 is still software raid on most motherboards, and there is some cpu overhead because of this, since you are not talking about using a dedicated Raid card with onboard memory.

I had a Raid0 config myself with 74gig raptors and to be honest I did not notice much of an improvement, and the added risk is just not worth it, since if something goes wrong on one drive, then both are lost. Raid0+1 of course is a different story, but then you need more drives.

Personally I would rather a couple of 320gig or 400gig WD 7200 drives.

Soldato
Energize said:
It doesnt increase speed in games but it doubles the speed of file transfers. Though since it is a gaming system as you said its pointless for the target customer.

The irony there is that in video editing you can't afford to lose any files; therefore the risk greatly outweighs the advantage of having increased speed.

Caporegime
The only time I can think of where raid0 would be usefull is where you need fast write times. Since raid 1 can give the same transfer speeds for reading.

Soldato
The only time I have seen Raid0 on a desktop PC give a significant benefit is writing a large no. of small files to a database. That can almost saturate the SATA150 bus provided you have something decent like raptors. Other then that I think having Raid0 on a work PC is too risky, and is just another form of e-willy waving.

Back
Top Bottom