• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

PhysX launched today.

Caporegime
ROFL, just imagine its buggered, and you aint gona find out for months, or until something comes along to use it, and all that time its sitting in your PC and you aint a clue its shagged. :D

Well its PCI, be hard for it to be PCI-E as that would kill off SLi/Crossfire. :p

Soldato
sja360 said:
yea i dont believe you'll get the demo disk. but surely you could download it from aegia or something no?

The demo is in the drivers that you get from Ageia

The bad thing is , its **** and anybody can download it and run it in software mode

Soldato
Im hoping and i dont know if its been discussed in this thread already,

Maybe a PCI Express X1 slot version would be better (infact is there anything out there that uses these slots yet :confused: )

If you have 2x Crossfire/Sli using 2x PCI-Express X16 Slots, using the remaining accesable PCI slot for Audio or other.

you will either have to ditch Hardware Audio or Crossfire/Sli

Soldato
LoadsaMoney said:
ROFL, just imagine its buggered, and you aint gona find out for months, or until something comes along to use it, and all that time its sitting in your PC and you aint a clue its shagged. :D

Well its PCI, be hard for it to be PCI-E as that would kill off SLi/Crossfire. :p
There are demos you can download to test the card is working fine.

Soldato
someone ppl seem to think these cards are used to increase FPS in games

but personally i see them as improving the physics of the game instead
same FPS, just with much better physics

Associate
Lanz said:
Nvidia and ATI have the pure corporate grunt to knock this small fry company of the face of the planet, once they sort out their physics solution, even if its only half as good as any standalone hardware solution, PhysX really doesnt stand a chance. Just my opinion mind, but we all know how the IT industry works, this will just get bought out by Nvidia/ATI or just fail.

Just like Creative did to the infinitely better Aureal A3D 2.0 sound card solution.
I still miss that :(

Man of Honour
I can't see it succeeding without something dramatic.

A comparison...I bought a Voodoo card when they first came out. At the time I bought it, it was used by a demo that came with the card and a patched version of Quake. That was it. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if the patched version of Quake was available at the time. The card was probably more expensive in relative terms than these PhysX cards.

I installed it and ran the demo. I gawped at it for a while and phoned a friend. He came round, gawped at it for a while and then drove straight to the shop I bought it from to buy one himself.

That's what PhsyX cards need - the gawp-and-buy factor. I don't see it. Where is the physics equivalent of that patched Quake? Or even a jaw-dropping demo that simply cannot run without a PhysX card?

n3x

n3x

Associate
Cool!

Is there anything u can use to test it?

If u manage to get anything working could you post some results? maybe fps with then without on the novadex demo or somethin? :)

Caporegime
I'm really puzzled as to why you purchased something that you cannot utilise. :confused:

I mean good on you for the information and the pics etc...
But why buy so soon?

Please clarify this for me.Am I missing something here? :)

easyrider said:
I'm really puzzled as to why you purchased something that you cannot utilise. :confused:

I mean good on you for the information and the pics etc...
But why buy so soon?

Please clarify this for me.Am I missing something here? :)

simple really, I just wanted to get it out of the way, I did'unt want to take the chance of them being hard to source when GRAW comes out, I really don't think that they will be any cheaper in mid may when they are officially released so why not get one early, at least now I can chill and wait for the physX supported games to roll in.

KizZ said:
Are there any demos out that you can try?

Not sure really, I did'nt get anything with the card, it was oem tho so that was understandable.

Last edited:
n3x said:

got that installed already, tried out a few demos and things seemed to be the same, perhaps it's not supported.

edit - it not the quietest thing that i've brought, I can hear it over my gtx and it'd certainly not the coolest thing, considering it's not really doing anything at the moment it's very hot to touch, my gtx now idles at 64 b-cos of the added heat :(

Last edited:

n3x

n3x

Associate
lol just what we needed! u cant adjust the fan speed then? does it come with any monitoring software? can u check the temps and rpms and such? maybe overclock it? :p

n3x said:
lol just what we needed! u cant adjust the fan speed then? does it come with any monitoring software? can u check the temps and rpms and such? maybe overclock it? :p

nah does'nt look like you can adjust the fan speed anyhow the amount of heat it's kicking out I don't think i'd want to lower it, got no drivers with it so downloaded the ones off ageia's site, they add a small physX logo on the taskbar that allows you to run a diagnostic on the card, reset it the card and run a very basic demo (3d boxes that you shot a ball at and they tumble).

Soldato
...hmmm really does seem like we're going to be waiting a 'while' before there is any real justification for the purchase of these cards.

I suspect that by the time the justification is there there will be a price drop on the product as well (or it will be superceeded by an integrated Nvidia/ATI product). :p

I guess we'll all be watching the PhysX space lol :D

Back
Top Bottom