PHYSX released today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suspended
ok, so the physx processor was released today, just a shame there's no games for it yet... looks like it could be good, ghost recon: aw looks good. anyones thoughts?

Associate
price?. its $250 dollars to add it to a pre built system. so are we looking at £100-150 retail?

EDIT: according to the official site... [size=+1]£170 :D
[/size]

Last edited:
Associate
This might be really obvious but, the Physx processor will remove the overhead of calculating smoke etc and also shrapnel but the GPU is still going to need to process all that extra information and render it.

Isn't this just going to move the bottleneck back to the graphics card?

Also all the cards announced are currently PCI and not PCIe...

Last edited:
Associate
oxygene said:
this will take all the overhead off processor and graphics for any physics. this is as big as adding standalone graphics cards from onboard ones.

I was always under the impression that the CPU calculated the physics and movement and the GPU rendered the scene. From what I have seen of the demos the PPU will allow more objects to be present on the screen as the CPU does not have to worry about them, my question is won't the GPU load increase because there is actually more to render and shade with each scene because the PPU can handle more objects...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom