Pi4 - Plex Media Server - Buffering issues on 4K

Soldato
So I am trying to setup a Plex Media Server to stream a single 4K stream to an Xbox One S

I originally was using Raspbian but I was having issues with one movie that I had that would bigger ever few minutes or so.

I discoverd that the H.265 hardware decoder in the Pi won't work unless using Libreelec.

I have now moved over to this and I am having the exact same issue.

I have a number of 4K, HDR10 files that stream Direct Play to the Xbox with no issue at all.
The file I am having issue with is also showing as Direct Play being true. This is why I am stumped. CPU usage doesn't go over 30% on the Pi and other HDR10 content plays without issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Soldato
OP
Moved over to Jellyfin and not added any 4K media that is over 25mbps and everything is OK so far.

Not sure why it wouldn't be able to handle 40mbps 4K direct play? Using an external HDD on the USB3 connection. Happens with both ethernet and wifi

Soldato
OP
They are mostly MP4

Another question I have is I was experiencing some stutter with low bitrate 1080p stuff on Jellyfin.

I'm thinking it may be the swap file being full? How would I check something like this?

Soldato
OP
@Avalon - You're right.
I'm going to take the time to compare a movie that doesn't work and one that does.

I'll use Handbrake to convert to the same codecs that is used by the working movie and see if that makes a difference.

Soldato
OP
So far I have worked out the 4K does not play nice at all with Jellyfin

Plex direct plays 4K HEVC on Xbox One from Pi.
HDR file is a no go though, but I don't have a HDR TV so that's fine.

Soldato
OP
Xbox is the main one to use as there is one in the living room and one in the bedroom so that's what I'll be using to stream to as I don't want to drop any more cash.

The same 4K HEVC plays nice with my Pixel 3 in the Plex App

Back
Top Bottom