Picture quality bad on MCE

Associate
hi,

i'm having problems with the picture quality on my media center. i have a hauppauge PVR-500 dual analog tuner, and connected into that is my sky box via the vcr output scart (this goes to a scart to composite & s-video converter) at the moment i can get a picture on the composite, but it isnt very good and the audio is very "tinny". when i try using the s-video, i get a screeky black and white picture. does anyone have any tips on how to get a decent picture, as my new 32" lcd tv is due to arrive this week.

thanks

Sky has a very poor picture through composite and s-video and their doesnt seem to be a way around it. Even when using a direct connection, the only solution I can think of is sky hds component connection, though youd have to have a card with component in.

the component cables (RGB - only does video via that cable afaik?) can do higher resolutions such as 480p, 720p, 1080p etc. the composite and s-video cant do any highe resolutions than the tv can produce.
i think im waffling :o
hopefully someone agrees with some of the above ^^

sja360 said:
the component cables (RGB - only does video via that cable afaik?) can do higher resolutions such as 480p, 720p, 1080p etc. the composite and s-video cant do any highe resolutions than the tv can produce.
i think im waffling :o
hopefully someone agrees with some of the above ^^

Thats correct.

Though If the picture is better with the new hd boxes through mce it wont be because of the connection it will be because they have improved the actual output of the box because s-video should look a hell of a lot better than the signal the pc gets from the sky box but it looks crap because the sky boxes have crap outputs.

Energize said:
Thats correct.

Though If the picture is better with the new hd boxes through mce it wont be because of the connection it will be because they have improved the actual output of the box because s-video should look a hell of a lot better than the signal the pc gets from the sky box but it looks crap because the sky boxes have crap outputs.
you mean the source e.g. the satelite feed that sky gives out is crap?

Back
Top Bottom