Pimax 8k is live

Associate
You mean Norm right, from Tested?

I'm going to wait and see and not bite to take part in the kickstarter, it sounds like a lot of hype but marginal actual improvement so far.

Permabanned
Problem with these is the number of pixels vs the number of 970 owners. It's hard enough to get 60 FPS minimum at 1440p with a 1080Ti within some of the modern games. These are going for 90FPS at twice the resolution which they call 5k, or at their version of 8k, 2 x 3840 x 2160.

200 FOV does sound good, if only we had the hardware to drive it.

Associate
Do you really have to run at the native resolution of the panel though? I think they'd just render at current resolutions (maybe slightly wider to accommodate the increased FOV) and let the panel upscale the image.

Associate
Well, they do upscale. From the tested video: Norm and Jeremy got their demo's from a laptop, Jeremy mentioned he'd like to have tried it on his own desktop to see what actual performance could be as he had the impression it wasn't 90 fps) plus they do some stuff to alternate frames or something. The FOV is something that apparently has to be supported by games, as right now it's just mostly stretching things towards the peripheral vision. Also, there's still a SDE, though it's far less than the Rift's.

Also, thought of my own: at a true 200 FOV games would have to render a lot more than they do right now, and that could really hurt performance in itself.

Permabanned
Upscaling is a work around for an existing problem though.

Some good info on the FOV from Reddit which I had a gut feeling on but was too lazy to do the research for myself - https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/714ej4/tested_pimax_8k_vr_headset_impressions/

Anything over 180° (and up to that, with massive increasing inefficiency) means you can no longer render a rectilinear viewport. You need to start rendering multiple actual views per eye with their own viewports (not just shifted frustums like with Lens Matched Shading). This is the sort of thing where you start having to customise the game engine to get it to do what you need rather than shifting around the existing view.

Also, that documentation is just for the application-side API to talk to SteamVR. For the drivers to talk to SteamVR there is a different API.

However, there does not appear to be a way to pass multiple projection matrices per eye available, so OpenvR would have to be 'hacked' to add the functions needed (like with the Kinect body tracking demo where 3 points on the skeleton were turned into virtual Vive trackers because OpenVR has no way to pass a skeleton post). One way would possible to present the HMD as two HMS that happen to be in the same physical location but with different optical geometries. A huge pain to keep things synced up though.

In order for things to be done 'properly', like any extension to OpenVR it requires you to wait for Valve to implement what you want then update SteamVR to support that extension.

Soldato
I backed the 8K basic pack. I am not remotely interested in roomscale or touch controllers, tried them with my Rift and was unimpressed. Flight sims are my main interest for VR and current headsets with atrocious IQ are useless for anything other than sight seeing IMHO.

Last edited:
Soldato
great to see 4k per eye coming to consumer devices, think I will wait to see what else comes out as I'm not sure about support of this one specifically at this point, but if nothing else is announced by my birthday and this is available then yeah, might bite

Associate
The software for the pimax 4k is shocking, customer support is non existent and the amount users that had to pay through the nose to get it via customs is through the roof as you can only (as far as I know) buy it from a handful of iffy looking websites or on eBay.

I had a go of my friends pimax 4k, beutiful screen has to be said, build quality felt cheap compared to my Rift and as yet there's no motion controllers. He using it purely for films, racing and Elite Dangerous.

Like I said, beutiful screen. But beware there's plenty of hoops to jump through.

Permabanned
I had a go of my friends pimax 4k, beutiful screen has to be said, build quality felt cheap compared to my Rift and as yet there's no motion controllers. He using it purely for films, racing and Elite Dangerous.

Are these games displaying warped scenes? 200 FOV should be out of range of what the current sofware can do.

What FPS is he getting, 90 or 45 alternate eye?

Associate
I believe the fov on the 4k is 110 and it's capable of 60hz. On a 1080 with settings set to medium I played Project cars 2 without frame dips and it was rock steady. I'm afraid I can't go into too much detail as I just don't know the full specs of either the VR headset or the PC I was playing on. I don't have PC2 to compare it with to see how it runs and looks on the Rift sadly

Associate
I've gone for the 8k on kickstarter, and I've got a 1080ti pc build planned. I'm a bit concerned that even a 1080ti won't be up to the job of pushing all those pixels though. I'm not fussed about roomscale, so this is my only concern outside of the actual logistics.

Soldato
I've gone for the 8k on kickstarter, and I've got a 1080ti pc build planned. I'm a bit concerned that even a 1080ti won't be up to the job of pushing all those pixels though. I'm not fussed about roomscale, so this is my only concern outside of the actual logistics.

the 8k (without the X) only accepts a dual 1440p image (what they are calling 5k), it will mean toning down some settings compared to gaming on a 1440p monitor but it will be doable, they are saying even a 1080 (no-ti) will be able to cope

I've just found out they they are doing 8k loaner sets if you pledge for the 8K-X so went with that one

full steamVR support plus the modules they have planned has convinced me to bite

Permabanned
they are saying even a 1080 (no-ti) will be able to cope

Cope with what though? Watching a movie? Playing Crysis? 90Hz or 45Hz, this is a huge difference which I realised using a 1080Ti and both super samping at 2 and turning up the pixel density within Dead Effect 2 VR (‎2160 x 1200 x 2 super sampling x 2 pixel density = 8640 x 4800).

I really like how the Pimax HMDs are looking so far but some claims are just silly.

Associate
The fact that the only game they have used during demo's is Fruit Ninja on a GTX1060 lap top and it struggled at times, gives me cause for concern.

Associate
the 8k (without the X) only accepts a dual 1440p image (what they are calling 5k), it will mean toning down some settings compared to gaming on a 1440p monitor but it will be doable, they are saying even a 1080 (no-ti) will be able to cope

I've just found out they they are doing 8k loaner sets if you pledge for the 8K-X so went with that one

full steamVR support plus the modules they have planned has convinced me to bite

I'm remaining positive about this. I'm not sure there's much point comparing VR tech with the visual experience of a single 1440p monitor though. In my Rift I lock my FPS to 45 and still only manage low/med settings in Project Cars with a 980Ti. If the 8k (which isn't 8k) achieves respectable (or close to) HD visuals with a single 1080Ti at a stable FPS, and I can see further into the distance with reduced blur, then I will be one happy bunny...my pledge is the same as I paid for my Rift and I'm fairly happy with that purchase. The fact I need to build a new PC to get close to the performance requirements is just icing on the cake :) like I needed an excuse.

Back
Top Bottom