Pint of dog please

Permabanned
I hear people order this every now and then, what is it?

Also, A pint of stout plz kthx.

Stouts guinness/murpheys etc isnt it? why not just ask for that?

Man of Honour
Certainly not this

cat_in_glass.jpg

Soldato
Bottle of // Pint of (Dog) refers iirc to Newcastle Brown.

From reading the back of the bottles when I've been in rubbish clubs/pub apparently, the name Dog came from when men used to use the excuse of taking the dog for a walk to slip in a quick pint at the local :)

Soldato
iBot said:
I hear people order this every now and then, what is it?

Also, A pint of stout plz kthx.

Stouts guinness/murpheys etc isnt it? why not just ask for that?

Stout goes beyond Guinness, Murpheys and the like. Its the name applied to dark beers. If I go into a pub and ask for a pint of stout I know its a safe bet if I am in a commercial pub that I'll end up with either Guinness or Murpheys or whatever major brand they've got on tap. Some of my locals do some very nice stouts made by a local breweries, which routinely change. If I ask for a pint of stout they'll poor me whatever is currently on tap. Saves me having to remember a dozen different names for different brands of stout.

Soldato
Gilly said:
Aye, Vader has it, Newcy Broon.

Woof (pardon the pun)... 'Gut Rot' in a Bottle!... I used to live off the stuff!... well when I was a Ste-aw-dent... Just about a pint for about the same as a bottle of fizzy toilet water mascarrading as Beer (well Larger!)...

Used to make my College friends suffer the next day in Micro-Electronics (P-A-R-P!!!) :D

Man of Honour
Dog is the slang name for Newcastle Brown Ale, hence it bites.

Other names it goes by re ..

Broon, Newky Broon, Fightin' Wataa, Holy Wataa, Chateau Gallowgate / Chateau Toon.

It's a nice drink but I can't drink it all night. Funny enough, it isn't as nice now as it was when I first started drinking it in the early nineties and my dad used to say it was a far better deink when he was young. It's sadly no longer brewed in Newcastle as the brewery, right next to St James's Park, was shut down and production switched to the Federation Brewery in Gateshead, next to the Metro Centre.

It is mostly sold in 550ml bottles but sometimes you see Bud size bottles although it is rare. It does exist on draught, but I don't enjoy it that way.

Back
Top Bottom