Pirelli Angel ST or GT?

Soldato
I need to get some tyres for winter and have decided on the Pirelli Angels (can't really be trusting my Supercorsas in mid winter!).

Does anyone know the difference between the GT and ST tyres? Some say the GT is designed for heavier bikes / pillion riding etc. but others say the GT is just the longer lasting better tyre?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Ah, that clears that up, thank you :)

My Supercorsas have done 3k so far and are still pretty good. A tiny bit squared off from a long run on the motorway, but nothing too bad. Hopefully the Angels will do even better.

Sensibly I'll keep the Supercorsas for next year if they're still good by the time I replace for winter. Not sure how I feel about sticking old, partially squared off tyres back on, but then I'm also not sure how I feel about getting rid of perfectly good tyres :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah they're basically an update, better cold/wet weather grip and durability. I think they make a version for big heavy bikes, the standard GT is just for normal bikes.

I'll get a pic of my rear tyre for you, it is going slightly square, but only very slightly, I do 200 miles a week commuting on 95% straight roads so it's going to happen regardless.

Cheers. Would be good to see how they wear & also what they look like once they've done a few miles :)

Soldato
OP
Nice, thanks :). They look good, nice & meaty! Would like quite nice on the Speed I think. They look like they scrub in nicely.

Where do you live?

Its supposedly summer here in the UK ;)

Hah yeah, supposedly. It is almost August though, and I can feel the weather getting colder already, plus I hate rushing stuff, so would rather have the tyres in the garage ready, then I can book fitting in advance and also need to order the front lift bar thingies for my abba stand so I can get both wheels of at the same time.

Soldato
OP
That did cross my mind actually but kind of disregarded it as I thought it'd be really expensive. I will have a look into that though cos then as you say, it's a few min job to change over. Would actually work really well considering the disk and sprocket aren't on the wheel, so it just slides off.

Be a bit more of a pain for the front though.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Got mine on at last. Taken them out for 2 blasts today, they're so good in the corners!

Well worth it. Feel really nice and manoeuvrable at slow speeds as well, but that's probably more cos my old original tyres were starting to square off :p

o_1a25g65h7kdq25260o1r5f1mhvf.jpg

They're more scrubbed in now. Pic above had never been ridden :)

Soldato
OP
Ah, that sucks :(. Only had one pair from them as Oponeo always seem to be a bit cheaper. I never had to deal with returns or their customer service fortunately.

Soldato
OP
OcUK certainly didn't use to! But I will avoid TyreLeader if possible from now on, I haven't read much good about them anywhere! Doesn't help that the stuff comes from Europe (when dealing with returns), but then so does Oponeo stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was never impressed with Road Pilots. I had 4s on my Hornet which let go a couple of times. Granted it was on a roundabout both times, but I have never had any other tyres let go on me like that.

Maybe it was just my Hornet, or a bad roundabout as I've heard a lot of good about the Road Pilots. I also liked the look of the Angels and loved my Supercorsas so wanted to stick with Pirelli as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeh the old PR2s that were on my Hornet when I got it had spilts and cuts all over, not particularly good condition and they were only about a year old!

Not a massive fan of PR's either, they always felt 'on the edge' and twitchy when i used them.

so as usual i'll be running the winter on my conti sport attacks, atleast untill they're worn down, then im going to try the angel GT's.

You won't regret it. Loving mine so far. They're becoming nicely scrubbed in now and no issues at all. They look awesome and promote leaning, I already have no chicken strips on these :D

Soldato
OP
They get my vote every time. I'm on my second set and I wouldn't choose anything else. You do pay for them though!

I can't compare them to the GT's though as I haven't tried them, I am tempted but I'm also part of the 'if it aint broke' brigade.

EDIT: On openeo, why are there more than one of each tyre listed with two different prices, yet no difference between the products? Is this a trap for the less thrifty of us?

Couple of potential reasons:
1. they sell the Angels made for particular bikes (Ducati I think?) so just make sure you don't get that one. Don't know what the difference is.
2. slow delivery. The cheaper option tends to be a longer lead time, whereas you can pay more if you need it within a couple of days.

Nothing dodgy :)

Edit: also make sure you choose GT, not ST.

Just get the standard ones without any extra letters and stuff, this is what I got:
Pirelli ANGEL GT 190/55ZR17 (75 W) Rear TL M/C
Price per pc. incl.VAT: 108 £ Quantity: 1 Total price (with VAT): 108 £
http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/pirelli-angel-gt-190-55zr17-75-w-rear-tl-m-c#98160596

Pirelli ANGEL GT 120/70ZR17 (58 W) Front TL M/C
Price per pc. incl.VAT: 82 £ Quantity: 1 Total price (with VAT): 82 £
http://www.oponeo.co.uk/moto-tyre-details/pirelli-angel-gt-120-70zr17-58-w-front-tl-m-c#100759346

Just looked, there's an A version (no idea) and a D (Ducati), so don't get those. Just get standard TL M/C

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom