Planning a trip to Australia

Associate
Hi all,

I'm going on a geography field trip with the uni to New Zealand from 29/03/2015 to 08/04/2015 and me and a friend was thinking of visiting Australia before the field trip.

I was just wondering if you had 7-10 days in Australia what things would you want to get up to and what places would you like to visit? Any tips etc for Australia would also be much appreciated.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately due to the timing and money, I can't see us being there any longer, we did initially think about staying in New Zealand after the fieldtrip, but were there for 10 days already and going to 4 different sites so thought whilst were in that part of the world and already spent hundreds of pounds on plane tickets we'd visit somewhere else.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought I might get responses to stay in New Zealand and it was our first train of thought to do just that. I don't think we'd like to just stay in Sydney for a week, and with limited time and money I don't want to waste both travelling the long distances to get anywhere else.

What would people do if they had 7-10 days in New Zealand then :p?

Our field trips itinerary includes going to Kinloch, Glenorchy for a few days to study the River Dart & Rees & Lake Wakatipu, Franz Josef to study the Franz Josef and Fox glaciers and then were going to Mt Cook Village to do fieldwork in Hooker and Tasman valleys. This is all on the south island, so perhaps we should spend the week exploring the north island?

Oh, were meeting at Queenstown before going of to Kinloch, Glenorchy and the uni can take us back here, so could do a few days in Queenstown before possibly going off exploring the north island.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks all.

We've decided to fly into Auckland (considerably cheaper than Queenstown which is a bonus) and spend a week exploring the north island. Not exactly sure on our itinerary for that just yet, hopefully we can get to Hastings, Hawkes Bay though at some point as that's where my auntie and cousin live.

Were then fly into Queenstown a couple of days before were due to meet up with our lecturers and explore around there, then enjoy the 10 days exploring and doing fieldwork in the south island.

Then finally go back to Queenstown to fly back to Auckland to fly back to London.

Again, if anyone has any suggestions for things to do or see in the north island, that would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom