Plant based foods / meat free stuff

Soldato
Well as i have got older I have found i can really take or leave meats in home cooked foods. I am not fussed over chicken, not fussed over beef etc. I am not becoming a vegie but i quite like vegetable curry instead of chicken etc. Meat free breakfasts etc.
I have high cholesterol so gave up mince for quorn mince years ago and dont mind the change

Recently we bought some plant based burgers that even bleed red? Beyond meat. We cooked these on a bbq as well as making a normal quarter pounder.

I tell you what they are pretty decent. A tiny bit blander than a juicy burger but not bad at all. Biggest thing is the cost £5.00 for two burgers.

We also tried quorn chicken last week, that wasnt terrible. Quorn sausages are quote tasty if not that nice to look at

Anybody else found themselves going for meat free options? I get the feeling plant based foods are the next big thing in the food industry.

please note, i still love steak, bacon, pigs in blankets, bbq chicken etc. Just find meat free options are pretty palatable.

Soldato
I don't really see the point in meat replacement type products. Same as alcohol free beer for me I guess... if I'm going to have a veggie meal I want to see the vegetables and enjoy it for what it is rather than pretending that it's a sausage.

We're eating a lot more vegetarian food at the moment and it's definitely cheaper, but it's amazing what depth of flavour can be achieved. Vegetarian Indian food is especially good to make at home.

Soldato
As above I don't see the point in alcohol free beer and feel the same about meat replacement, if I want meat I'll eat meat if not I won't, missus does eat veggie sausage but I'm not dropping my Richmonds or Bratwurst for anything.

Soldato
Had the beyond meat burgers, quite enjoyed them. Also, sainsburys do another cheaper brand.

I quite enjoy saitan aswell and had a amazing saitan kebab a few months back.

I understand not wanting to just substitute meat but they are a lot healthier and my girlfriend eats a vegan diet so it’s nice if I want a burger we can have the same dinner.

She’s trying to get me to replace diary milk but none of the replacements are quite right, but almond is the best.

Soldato
My partner is vegan so our food shopping is largely vegan aside from biscuits and occasionally eggs. I buy meat for home once a year when I host a barbecue.

I still eat whatever I want outside of the home, though last year I mostly stopped getting meat at lunchtimes at work. Immediately took me from eating meat several times a week, to 2-3 per month.

I consider vegan food like a special interest - it's fun finding new tasty options and it means I can take my partner there if a place is vegan. So we do like the meat replacements as they're fun and help recreate the best junk food!

I think I'd rather go full dairy free than meat free, I think the odd steak or fish fillet can be good for you.

Oatly Barista is by far the best non dairy milk for tea, coffee and cereal. It’s surprisingly creamy.
Yes! I'm totally used to soya milk in my (dark, strong) tea but oat milk is so rich and tasty! Almond is my least favourite for tea but oat milk seems to have the creamy full fat vibe that goes well in coffee too.

Caporegime
Oatly Barista is by far the best non dairy milk for tea, coffee and cereal. It’s surprisingly creamy. I make porridge with roasted almond milk which adds a nice flavour.

We only use it for frothing when we want cappuccinos (as all the other 'barista' variants of other types don't froth enough), our go-to fake milks are Good Hemp and Koko Unsweetened.

I would never use Oatly for cereal or tea as I find the added oil is too noticable.

Soldato
Slightly different tact as I use a meal replacement mostly based on Pea protein as it's more convenient and saves some money at work. Breakfast is usually always some sort of cereal and so I'm down to maybe one meal day where I might have meat. I won't go out of my way to have meat so if there's a veggie option that appeals I'll have it no qualms.

I've also started to use Almond/Hazelnut alternatives not so much to avoid dairy but because in my meal replacement shake for example it just tastes better and improves the texture. So now I'll consider experimenting with an alternative just to how it tastes. Must have milk in tea though!

Caporegime
I don't really see the point in meat replacement type products. Same as alcohol free beer for me I guess... if I'm going to have a veggie meal I want to see the vegetables and enjoy it for what it is rather than pretending that it's a sausage.

We're eating a lot more vegetarian food at the moment and it's definitely cheaper, but it's amazing what depth of flavour can be achieved. Vegetarian Indian food is especially good to make at home.

You likely aren't the target customer though. These fake meat alternatives are for vegetarians and vegans who never eat meat, so something like a veggie burger that is like beef burger is appealing. This is particular true for new vegies and vegans who are only beginning to expand their culinary repertoire. And it is just a replacement for the quick fix meals; just as someone might quickly fry a sausge as a uqick fix meal in a busy lifestyle, a vegan alternative has its place.

Then there is the other argument about reducing environmental impact, which is where the meat alternative products really excel. From a purely health perspective, a proper homemade vegie meal will always come out better but a meat alternative will provide the same environmental impact reductions. or many new vegetarians and vegans, the environmental impact is much more important than health reasons. The same goes for animal welfare.

Soldato
You likely aren't the target customer though. These fake meat alternatives are for vegetarians and vegans who never eat meat, so something like a veggie burger that is like beef burger is appealing. This is particular true for new vegies and vegans who are only beginning to expand their culinary repertoire. And it is just a replacement for the quick fix meals; just as someone might quickly fry a sausge as a uqick fix meal in a busy lifestyle, a vegan alternative has its place.

Then there is the other argument about reducing environmental impact, which is where the meat alternative products really excel. From a purely health perspective, a proper homemade vegie meal will always come out better but a meat alternative will provide the same environmental impact reductions. or many new vegetarians and vegans, the environmental impact is much more important than health reasons. The same goes for animal welfare.

Apart from palm oil plantations killing all the orangutans and the environmental issue of shipping soy around the world, sure.

I think there are many environmental issues that we should consider when choosing what we eat. I think that eating locally produced food - including dairy and meat is superior for environmental reasons. Health wise we should be balancing diet with more vegetarian options.

I am not the meat replacement industry’s target customer at all.

Back
Top Bottom