Plantation shutters

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Hi all,

We moved into our new home a few months back, and while the previous owners were kind enough to leave curtains, blinds etc. they are not to our taste and I’m keen to switch a few.

In our old Victorian terrace we used to have some lovely original shutters, which I much prefer to other types of blinds but they wouldn’t suit this place so I’ve been looking at plantation shutters- cafe style.

I suspect they are all much of a muchness but do any of you recommend anywhere in particular? Equally, anywhere you’d avoid?

I’m looking to do about four windows on the ground floor, front, so two bay windows, two standard windows etc. all recessed into the reveal.

Cheers!

You are happy to loose some light permanently as afaik you can't retract them completely ?
exterior continental shutters on full length windows, I've lived with, are great in that respect, but I don't get the trend in the UK.
and, don't like to loose light, so have stuck with inherited curtains in UK, that aren't drawn much anyway, since not overlooked, I think they help with room/music acoustics too.

California shutters and blinds2go. California are "backed" by b&q for whatever that's worth. I've spent 3k with them over the years. Blinds2go was cheaper and just as good.

You'll find most brands have an almost identical configuration website so I imagine they're all white labelled from China.

The biggest cost is how quick you want them.

Edit: for reveal be sure it's a good even surface within tolerance of how much caulk/frame sealant you want to see. I went front of reveal on one of my wonkier openers as that's majorly forgiving.

Also in the reveal you need to not got so big you foul the window handle.

Larger shutters are better if you want to lazy open the window - i.e. squeeze your hand through the gap.

I'd say they aren't really designed to be opened all that much (as in on the hinge).

Last edited:
Got mine from a local company (assuming you mean these type). Apparently they tend to come from one of 2warehouses in China so the main element is the measuring (and finding level will be important!) and fitting.

These were £2k supply and fit so certainly could do it cheaper if you DIY.

Also I much prefer a shadow gap around the window than filling it with caulk which looks a bit naff.

wtrj63k.jpeg

Pre shutters they were nice windows but alas we live on a busy road!

orRITiD.jpeg

Last edited:
We've used Shutterly Fabulous on two occasions now. They've been both excellent quality and fitted very well. I recall the last time I spoke to them they had quite a lead time, but that was a few years back when most things were taking ages.

We've used Shutterly Fabulous on two occasions now. They've been both excellent quality and fitted very well. I recall the last time I spoke to them they had quite a lead time, but that was a few years back when most things were taking ages.
Yeah lead time on mine was 14 or 16 weeks

I have these in my house and hate them. In bedroom they let in all the light even though the previous owner spent 5 figures on the house. In the lounge they just make it darker. I have skipped some rooms and will do others soon to replace with curtains

Tier on tier is what you want. Open the top during the day, keeps the room nice and light. We put them in all of our bedrooms (3), lounge and bathroom in our Victorian terrace for about £4k I believe. So worth it. They make the house look so much nicer and classier from the outside immediately, the curb appeal is massive.

Same everywhere unless you cash up.

I went for Blinds 2go shutters. Good quality, and precisely matched the measurements I provided.

To echo what others have said, you'll likely find they're all from the same suppliers.

They make the house look so much nicer and classier from the outside immediately, the curb appeal is massive.
could get wooden slat blinds like https://www.englishblinds.co.uk/tuscan-oak-wooden-blinds-p
and have something that, agree, would look smarter than curtains from outside when they are closed, but can also be retracted 95%.
probably easier to install, longevity of mechanism and cleaning perhaps cons versus shutters.

This is all fantastic guys. I’m very grateful. Quite a bit to digest so I’ll go through everything in detail later and reply back. Really appreciate everyone’s help !!

We had them fitted in our last place, fitter was ***** and ended up having to do a s75 charge back.

I had a number of companies come out to look at them and finish the job, all said they wouldn't and would simply fit new ones.

Seems many cowboys ordering these in by the carton load from the Chinese factories, fo with a reputable brand/fitter and should be good. We really liked ours at the last place.

Most of our windows are now sorted via blinds2go (not sure if there's any refferal offers). We have a mix of roller and clip into the dbl glazing ones and bar one order (my fault measured wrong) all of them have been spot on

Back
Top Bottom