1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plastic makes me a sad panda

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lil old me, May 28, 2010.

1. HAz

Capodecina

Glad u ain't my mate

2. Parsley

Wise Guy

Soya milk also tastes really... odd. I'm not sure how people can't tell the difference really.

3. ^TANK^

PermaBanned

Your Mamma is so ugly, she went to the bathroom and scared the **** out of the toilet.

4. G-MAN2004

Caporegime

:D

5. Antar Bolaeisk

Sgarrista

Wrong country ;)

6. RDM

Capodecina

I do wonder why the government just hasn't simply banned non recyclable packaging. Have a bit of a consultation, work out four or five packaging materials that covers everyones needs and can be recycled and job done.

I did find the OPs switch to Quorn quite amusing though considering it's history and how it is made and his railing against the evil chemical companies. :)

7. Daegan

Wise Guy

Last year or two I've started to shop a lot more locally, using the local greengrocers, using the local butchers etc. It's cheaper, tastier, travelled less miles and we have more say over how it's produced and packaged. No ecomentalist blogs required to tell me that's a good thing.

8. Lil old me

Mobster

I wasnt going to bother to reply to this since you feel that swearing is a helpful way to argue, but I will rise to the bait. If you actually read what I post you'd see I never said people shouldnt be allowed to wear fur. You brought up the fact that plastic alternatives are clearly as bad, if not worse, given my OP.

In my opinion fur does look awful, but that comment as intended as tongue in cheek anyway, though clearly if people didnt buy fur then there would be no need to find a replacement for it? Its good that you are buying from what sounds like a sustainable source, however I'm not sure its really you (or your wife) the likes of ALF are targetting. The fashion industry, which is massive compared to your single usage, almost certainly does waste life just for fur. While for me its not a massive issue, as it seldom applies to me, and most of my ecology is an attempt to change my personal usage I see the problem with mass farming for fur and hope you could too, without me telling you how to live!

You seem to have it in your head that I'm a massive hippie nutter, going by your comments in your original post. No i dont wear hemp (well, not yet :p), Im just a normal 22 yr old guy, I get drunk, I go out, I have friends, I dont live in a cave and I even have a car! The point im trying to make here is how much plastic we really waste. The plastic bag which took maybe a few hours to make, which most people use once, but which exists afterwards for maybe a few thousand years. That bag is just unnecessary. The pollution it made is, unnecessary. The life it might destroy, an unnecessary loss. These blogs arent really about the plastic coat, or about the computer Im typing on, with plastic keys. They are about the throwaway items which really do not need to exist.

If you do decide to post again, I think it would be better if you thought about it before you typed.

Every little helps. I'm just one person, I cant stop tescos selling meat (nor would I try!) but for me to only buy meat for dinner in a week, rather than potentially breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well thats at least 50% of my meat purchasing down. If everyone did it, then it would show in the sales figures and supply would adjust to it. Im just one person but its a start.Also it is much cheaper and I find myself eating much healthier alternatives instead.

EXACTLY! Finally someone gets the point! The whole idea of this post was not a rant about vegetarianism. Im not one. Nor was it really a rant about plastics we use for things we use for a long time ie computers. It is about getting people to think, do i really need this straw? I drink most of my drinks fine without it, and ill only throw it away in 5 minutes. No, I wont have a straw thank you. If everyone did that?! Well the Pacific Rubbish Patch might just be that bit smaller.

I wasnt actually aware of this but thank you for the info. I have been drinking Alpro soya and according to my little bit of reading they are one of the "better" producers. Never buying from ex-rainforest land etc. Might look up alternative milks next time I do a shop though. The trick is getting one the gf likes as she hates dairy but now loves soya!

This is great :) although it isnt always an option for everyone.My gfs village has 3 butchers and 2 green grocers, good old Suffolk, so its really a no brainer! On the other hand Harpenden, where my parents live, doesnt have any greengrocers and only 1 butcher (who they and I do use when he has the stock in). You probably dont need any ecomentalist blogs, no. But I try not to preach to the converted. :) Especially when im mental apparently.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

I can remember as a child plastic not being there to suddenly taking over the world and thinking everytime I saw it how tacky it was.
    I've probably got a wrong timeline but households didn't have plastic things in them and suddenly Tupperware hit the market and then every house was full of it.
    Then came electronic items that had always been made of wood or metal coming in plastic housing eg televisions, stereo systems and once again it used to disgust me in those early days.
    Of course I'm used to it now.

10. Wicksta

PermaBanned

This is what I was thinking - the charging of plastic bags seemed to last about a week. Now Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda round here give them away for free again. I find them extremely handy for bin liners or nappy disposal so I always grab loads.

11. Daegan

Wise Guy

The Genius of Design covered a lot of this last night, charting the use of plastics in industrial design, including Tupperware. It's a pretty good watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00slplb/The_Genius_of_Design_Better_Living_Through_Chemistry/

12. HAz

Capodecina

How does one milk a grain of rice?

13. Cosimo

Man of Honour

Then she buried the plastic in the garden. ;)

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  14. Freefaller

Man of Honour

It's good you're doing that. It gives me less guilt for buying twice as much meat and milk and using more plastic ;)

15. Freefaller

Man of Honour

Agreed - rice milk's actually lovely, especially the coconut flavoured one. But from a nutrition/bodybuilding point of view too it's pretty good as well.

16. RadoX

Wise Guy

they allready exsisted in some kind of form, you cant create mass. argument invalid. also why are you eating less meat, its good for you and tastes nice and were not making anything "die out" so to speak. i had kangaroo the other day and it was very nice like a odd taste on the outside but the inside was tender and like fillet steak. stop being a moron theres no such thing as global warming and if you sleep with a girl your not going to get hiv as the media would protray.

17. Lil old me

Mobster

They did already exist, but in the form of oil, underground, locked away, "buried" as it were, having done so for millions of years. Making that oil into plastics created pollution, it unlocked the poisons within the oil and allowed them to enter the food chain, water supply or air. To use an analogy, tobacco grows. The plant the leaves come from wasnt made by man, it existed in some form. However due to process and alteration, that leaf is made into a cigarette. The cigarette is smoked and the harm it does is felt by the individual. How can you possibly say just because something exists it can do no harm? EVERYTHING already exists, doesnt mean it cant be harmful now because of changes we make to it.

Meat is good for you, i agree. I havent stopped eating it, I never said I had. However producing meat does massively affect animal welfare. It does produce something like a FIFTH of all Co2 emissions. It does lead to deforestation, overfarming does damage the soil and the way livestock are bred does lead to the proliferation of disease and weakening of animal immune systems, making things like Avian and swine flu much more easily spreadable and, arguably allows them to exist in the first place.

Humans are not meant to eat meat every day, we don't need it and biologically we are not actually built to consume as much of it as we do. I havecut my consumption because I dont believe I need to eat as much of it as I was. Is there any need to have a beef stir fry when a vegetable one tastes just as good and is better for you?

No idea where your comments about HIV came from, but i suppose they're meant to cast me in the guise of a hippie again, or a crazy keyboard warrior who never talks to people or has relationships. When you're done with the stereotypes and personal attacks feel free to post back and maybe we can have an intelligent discussion.

18. King85

Wise Guy

Do you not think how heavily processed those quorn substitutes must be in order to taste like chicken or ham? When in fact you could just eat fresh unprocessed chicken or ham.

19. Psymonkee

Capodecina

BS!

Quorn has no texture and simply falls apart in your mouth, especially after being used for a curry :/

Oh well - for every cow you don't eat I shall eat 3! :D

20. RadoX

Wise Guy

hahah indeed im now x4ing my meat consumption currently have a whole rack of cow ribs in the oven XD