Platelets! (blood donation pimpage)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Yay! Just got a letter confirming I can be a platelets donor! However they have some sort of a holdback so it might be some time till I actually donate.

Not sure how many of you know about this, but when you go to give blood, you can also donate platelets. You can only donate blood once every 16 weeks, however you can possibly donate platelets as much as every 2 weeks.

Platelets make you stop bleeding, when you cut yourself, the platelets in your blood (at the wound) brake apart and form a clot, so it's essensial you have enough in your bloodstream. Some people however don't have enough, which is where platelets donation come into play.

You can find more on www.blood.co.uk , or go to your local clinic, you need to be a blood donor to become a platelet donor. What happens is the take a blood sample during your blood donation and test to see if you have enough platelets to donate, if you do you will be sent a mail to confirm this, you fill in your phone number and when it's ok to call you, send it back, and a nurse will call you to let you know when you can donate.

:D

Soldato
Out of curiosity I've got a blood test today can I donate blood then? I hate needles but as I have to have it done I might aswell donate some of that good red stuff!

Soldato
I give whole blood, I'm a sucker for the cards ;)
Just got my Blue card (5th), one day I'll have my Gold....one day.....
Mundu said:
Out of curiosity I've got a blood test today can I donate blood then? I hate needles but as I have to have it done I might aswell donate some of that good red stuff!
It's less than likely that you can, look here for information of when and where you can give.

Soldato
Mundu said:

the needles they use for dontation are a lot bigger than that used for blood samples, so probably not. Also it would have to be a registered blood donation site, where as any qualified nurse, and indeed any one with a vacuum needle (right thing?) pack can draw blood from you.

KaHn

Soldato
OP
Mundu said:

Then don't be scared of needles you big girl :p You need to go to a blood donation site, you can find one from their website, basically you fill in a questionnair, then they take two sampled and the bag of blood.

Associate
Yeah! Going for my 12th whole blood donation on 18th November. I've had to start booking appointments myself because the NBS don't seem to like writing to me anymore :(

They're not getting out of it that easily! ;)

But they won't take platelet donations from me... apparently, my veins aren't good enough :(

Man of Honour
Kyzia said:
Yeah! Going for my 12th whole blood donation on 18th November. I've had to start booking appointments myself because the NBS don't seem to like writing to me anymore :(

They're not getting out of it that easily! ;)

But they won't take platelet donations from me... apparently, my veins aren't good enough :(

Mine are like drainpoops, hence being suitable.

Oh, and next time you go folks, get on the bone marrow register as well.

Associate
My platelets dropped right to the low end for donation so they stopped me.
They've now got some brand new machines that can handle the lower range better, so looks like I'm back on.
Just hope the Sister that ALWAYS misses the vein and has to jab around a little isn't on!

Man of Honour
KaHn said:
the needles they use for dontation are a lot bigger than that used for blood samples

There are slightly bigger, that's all. For everyone except Lostkat there's a pic of one in my arm here to give you an idea. The whole rig looks like this:

p3_aph_trima.jpg

The main thing that stops most people is the time: about 90 minutes for a standard (double) draw, plus fifteen minutes health check plus connection time, and fifteen minutes recovery time. Some clinics now do saturday morning runs for those who can't get the time off work.

M

(333 donations)

Soldato
Meridian said:
WHY DID I CLICK THAT LINK?????? I feel sick now :( My own fault, I know.

On a more positive note, next platelet donation is next Tues :D

The old platelets thread was very informative, but it looks like it's been pruned, and I forgot to archive it. D'oh!!

Man of Honour
Lostkat said:
WHY DID I CLICK THAT LINK?????? I feel sick now :( My own fault, I know.

On a more positive note, next platelet donation is next Tues :D

The old platelets thread was very informative, but it looks like it's been pruned, and I forgot to archive it. D'oh!!

Are you on the bone marrow register LK ?

Soldato
Von Smallhausen said:
Are you on the bone marrow register LK ?
I'm not, no. I did actually mean to ask about it last time I donated, but they were too busy telling me that I need to get my iron up that I didn't want to confuse them. Might ask when I'm there next Tues.

Are you on it? Is anyone here on it? What does it involve? Extra blood samples when you donate I presume.

Man of Honour
Lostkat said:
Are you on it? Is anyone here on it? What does it involve? Extra blood samples when you donate I presume.

I am on it, yes.

All it involves is taking an extra blood sample which is then tested to determine if you are suitable for the register. Ask when you next donate.

I got a letter through the post some time later say I was and also a card to carry, saying I was on the bone marrow register.

If you are required to donate, it is not the most pleasant of experiences and involves a hospital stay, but I have said before when someones life may depend on it there is no question about it for me. Any argument from work would go in one ear and out the other and I would go.

The chances of being used are remote LK, but you never know.

Get it done. :)

Suspended
I've donated a few times, but I could do with doing it a bit more.

What I find odd is the way you're offered anaesthetic - if you're gonna have any needles put into you it might as well be the blood one as you will still be able to use your arm afterwards and you dont really feel it anyway.

I always make sure to take a few fistfulls of custard creams afterwards for my trouble.

Associate
i am very greatfull to you people for doanting the platelets as i needed them my self as im an ITP sufferer

if im not mistaken an average persons platelets should be between 150-400 mine doesnt get above 50 lowest is 2 , so have had some platelets and immunoglobulin to keep my platelets up before i have me spleen out which is whats causing my ITP condition

sorry for whaffeling on i just think people giving blood and platelets are REAL life savers

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom