Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

Done my first 'long' run on Saturday. 12 miles in just under 2 hours, never really timed it.

Not bad I think, as its double anything I have ran before. Plus the hills on the run were killers!

Pretty happy for a first go, should be in good steed for Edinburgh Half Marathon. :)

Decided to use some of the off road paths/trails that I have access to just outside my front door today and mixed it with some footpaths/roads to make a 2.2 mile route. Not a tremendous time but quite happy as I had to stop a couple of times to get my bearings and find my way in the middle of woods (never ran it before) coupled with 2 real bar-stewards of a climb (1x120 foot climb over 0.5 km and 1x80 foot climb over 0.4km) on very loose/rough terrain.

I find I much prefer running in woodland areas. I guess it takes away the tedium of road/path running as your mind is also busy so I don't get bored really...

Decided to use some of the off road paths/trails that I have access to just outside my front door today and mixed it with some footpaths/roads to make a 2.2 mile route. Not a tremendous time but quite happy as I had to stop a couple of times to get my bearings and find my way in the middle of woods (never ran it before) coupled with 2 real bar-stewards of a climb (1x120 foot climb over 0.5 km and 1x80 foot climb over 0.4km) on very loose/rough terrain.

I find I much prefer running in woodland areas. I guess it takes away the tedium of road/path running as your mind is also busy so I don't get bored really...

I find this as well, really should go out and do more xcountry.

Went for my second 5km run 10 days after the first after having a cold all week. This time rather than stopping 4 times, I didn't stop once, even ran a hillier route and still felt like I could go on afterwards for a while.

Alcohol has been cut back on and my diet vastly improved. I now even like salad.

What a massive difference 10 days makes. Now to just keep it up and run faster / longer.

I find that, when I break past the 2 mile-ish mark, I seem to get into my rythym and can carry on better than I could for the first 2 miles :o

Did another 2.5 miler with about 1 mile on the road and the rest on proper XC stuff. Keeps the mind busy making sure you dont trip up on roots and sliding on the mud and wet rocks (it runs next to a river)... Had to hose down the old shoes after tho as they were bogging :o

23 miler for me this morning. 3 hours dead. Happy the way things are going at the mo, but not happy I'm going to have to defer this years London Marathon due to friends getting married! Arrrghh. Still, I can keep my fast good for age entry for 2012, so all is not lost.

23 miler for me this morning. 3 hours dead.

That's good going.

I'm back into running again and trying to keep it up, just did 6.24 miles on tarmac in the inclement weather in 1:00:24. Fairly steady pace but could have kept going a long time.

So much of this sport is psychological I feel, if you can keep your thoughts under control it can offer a big advantage.

Well after a massive break from anything sport releated I have decided to start going back to the gym again and get myself fit and lose some of the weight that i have put on over the past couple of years.

So have got myself a pair of the Nike+ Pegasus 27 trainers with some extra insoles to cushion my feet a little more and have to say I can instantly tell the difference between my old trainers and these new ones.

So I managed around 3k for a first run on Saturday. The first 1k was walking at a brisk pace just to see how I was going fitness wise and then 2k was running between 8-12kph. More 8kph with a couple of 30 second bursts of 10 - 12kph.

I didn't want to over do it first time round and feel pretty good today. I have a touch of soreness in the thighs but half expected that to be honest so have had a rest day just to make sure I am ok for tomorrow so that I can try and build up my stamina before embarking on faster times and longer distances. I may scale it back to just 2k for the next couple of sessions until I feel that I am ok and not suffering with the soreness and then steadily build up to the 5k mark.

Using the Nike+ site has given me a lot of insperation and the information here has been very helpful.

I feel more enthused this time round so hopefully i will stick at it this time.

23 miler for me this morning. 3 hours dead. Happy the way things are going at the mo, but not happy I'm going to have to defer this years London Marathon due to friends getting married! Arrrghh. Still, I can keep my fast good for age entry for 2012, so all is not lost.

I have a friends wedding on the Friday before, so inconsiderate... 19 miles for me on Sat, steady at 2 hours 50 but making good progress for London.

just come back from my first run outside (been running in gym for a good 12 months or so) - and was much easier than expected - in fact due to less "bounce/cushioning" from the treadmill and nice fresh air - my pace was quicker than on a running machine

got back - to my surprise run was longer than I expected - I'd been out for 35 mins (thought about 20) - and I'd done 6.7k - not bad at all for me - I felt like I could have been out for much longer but I'd got back home at that point -need a longer loop

Got a Garmin 305 today which is to kick off my outdoor running season.

Hoping to do two runs per week, one short and one longer one at the weekend.

still getting to grips with the watch though, its pretty complicated kit lol

Got a Garmin 305 today which is to kick off my outdoor running season.

Hoping to do two runs per week, one short and one longer one at the weekend.

still getting to grips with the watch though, its pretty complicated kit lol

I bought one on the bay today.

I have the Paris half coming up in about 10 days. I haven't trained as religiously as I planned. I have been doing the distance runs on the weekend but have struggled to get as many training runs in as I had targeted. Oh well.

I've done the distance a few times now so not worried about that just not sure I'll do a decent time (for me, I want to be somewhere between 1.50 and 2).

Back
Top Bottom