Platypus' Beginners Guide to Running

hux

hux

Soldato
Can't say I'm looking forward to the weekend, got this 64 mile ultra happening.
I'm lucky in that I'm fitter, faster and got far better gear than what I had for my last one.
Just need to go like hell for the first few hours, before this horrible heat kicks in as it's a 12.05am start thank god.

Soldato
Can't say I'm looking forward to the weekend, got this 64 mile ultra happening.
I'm lucky in that I'm fitter, faster and got far better gear than what I had for my last one.
Just need to go like hell for the first few hours, before this horrible heat kicks in as it's a 12.05am start thank god.

You’ll be done by lunchtime at your pace!

Reactions: hux

hux

hux

Soldato
You’ll be done by lunchtime at your pace!
Fingers crossed, even with my friends there
I'll purely focus on what I can do, where normally I'd worry about keeping with them.
I'm definitely faster, so should be very interesting for sure.
Can't wait to give this new gear a go, I'll be using speedgoat 4 this time, going all out for comfort with this kind of distance.
Just need my Sahara hat to arrive.

Last edited:
Associate
Fingers crossed, even with my friends there
I'll purely focus on what I can do, where normally I'd worry about keeping with them.
I'm definitely faster, so should be very interesting for sure.
Can't wait to give this new gear a go, I'll be using speedgoat 4 this time, going all out for comfort with this kind of distance.
Just need my Sahara hat to arrive.
How are you finding the width of the Speadgoats in the forefoot, hux? I thought I had small slim feet, but you can see my little toe pushing through the side of the shoe, causing a blister. Apart from that, they're nice and squidgy.
Good luck on the ultra, I thought I had it bad having a half marathon this Sunday!

I've only done one ultra (flat 60k) myself, just starting to get my mandatory kit sorted, after not being able to enter the 42k Terrex-X race in the Peaks, due to a fairly hefty mandatory kit requirement. Was probably for the best, I hit the wall massively in the last few kilometers of the 28k race!

hux

hux

Soldato
How are you finding the width of the Speadgoats in the forefoot, hux? I thought I had small slim feet, but you can see my little toe pushing through the side of the shoe, causing a blister. Apart from that, they're nice and squidgy.
Good luck on the ultra, I thought I had it bad having a half marathon this Sunday!

I've only done one ultra (flat 60k) myself, just starting to get my mandatory kit sorted, after not being able to enter the 42k Terrex-X race in the Peaks, due to a fairly hefty mandatory kit requirement. Was probably for the best, I hit the wall massively in the last few kilometers of the 28k race!
I find them about right, I do get away with the Takumi Sen 8 and those are very narrow.
Yeah should be an interesting night run, I'll have to put my foot down early on, so the cutoff doesn't catch me when it's hot.

What's the kit requirement, mudcrew are very good you can call it the bare minimum really, just sensible bits like foil blanket and mobile phone.
As they're a professional bunch, so you get treated like an adult.

Purple Gecko can be over the top, like phone plus charger, money, decent first aid.
I'd guess that's more down to their insurance.

Soldato
I guess it depends on risk.
Anything i've done in the Lake District needs full waterproofs even in summer, because you never know how the weather might change high up and if you get lost/stuck you could get into real danger, whereas the 50 i've got in the Peak District is minimal because it's all on little paths without much elevation.

Soldato
When and where is the Peak District one? Should we come and cheer you on? :D

30th July and please dont!

(I'm only doing the 50 version :))

Associate
I find them about right, I do get away with the Takumi Sen 8 and those are very narrow.
Yeah should be an interesting night run, I'll have to put my foot down early on, so the cutoff doesn't catch me when it's hot.

What's the kit requirement, mudcrew are very good you can call it the bare minimum really, just sensible bits like foil blanket and mobile phone.
As they're a professional bunch, so you get treated like an adult.

Purple Gecko can be over the top, like phone plus charger, money, decent first aid.
I'd guess that's more down to their insurance.
This was the kit requirement for the 42k and 53k races in the Peaks a few weeks ago, I think all the races started at 08:30:
jAYCI1y.png
I clearly didn't read that very well, I have only just noticed the part in brackets for the head torch! Looking back at it now, it doesn't seem too extreme?

Had an email today, if the midday temp forecast gets higher than 30℃, the half entries will do the 10k.

Reactions: hux

hux

hux

Soldato
May contain nuts.

Yeah and most of those will be on the trail :D

Might ask and see what's up for nibbles, it'll probably be similar.
I crave watermelon like crazy, when a couple months back I tried it on a run.
Love the stuff, but oddly only when running. Guess it's what my body craves, can't stick eating chocolate and such, only eat dirty when it's near the end and I can afford to let go.

Soldato
Yeah, i think that's pretty standard. It's the taped pants which always annoy me as i never have any intention of carrying them. Same with a map/compass. I couldn't use them if i wanted to!

Just loaded the GPX for the Peak District run. It's only ~5000ft of elevation according to Garmin. That's basically flat! :D

hux

hux

Soldato
This was the kit requirement for the 42k and 53k races in the Peaks a few weeks ago, I think all the races started at 08:30:
jAYCI1y.png
I clearly didn't read that very well, I have only just noticed the part in brackets for the head torch! Looking back at it now, it doesn't seem too extreme?

Had an email today, if the midday temp forecast gets higher than 30℃, the half entries will do the 10k.

No actually it is fairly standard fare, bit ott but nothing extreme. You learn quickly how to stretch those rules :D
I actually had to buy another headtorch for this one, wanted something lighter and more professional with a constant output and options to have bigger batteries.
Went with the Silva trail speed 5r, and I love it medium at 6 hours is plenty enough for summer use, but got a spare battery just in case
I'm guessing on the kit list you got caught out with the taped waterproofs and headtorch?

Last edited:
Associate
No actually it is fairly standard fare, bit ott but nothing extreme. You learn quickly how to stretch those rules :D
I actually had to buy another headtorch for this one, wanted something lighter and more professional with a constant output and options to have bigger batteries.
Went with the Silva trail speed 5r, and I love it medium at 6 hours is plenty enough for summer use, but got a spare battery just in case
I'm guessing on the kit list you got caught out with the taped waterproofs and headtorch?
The taped waterproofs got me, I don't even have any waterproof running gear! I do have a headtorch, but it's an oldish Petzl Reactik. I'm not sure on it's longevity, plus I only have the one battery. I'll get it all eventually. Then the fun of figuring out how to pack it all in to my vest begins!

I think I need to get an event entered, to push me to get it sorted, and maybe actually get some proper training done!

hux

hux

Soldato
The taped waterproofs got me, I don't even have any waterproof running gear! I do have a headtorch, but it's an oldish Petzl Reactik. I'm not sure on it's longevity, plus I only have the one battery. I'll get it all eventually. Then the fun of figuring out how to pack it all in to my vest begins!

I think I need to get an event entered, to push me to get it sorted, and maybe actually get some proper training done!
There's a nitecore ut27 that's very good for the money, that's worth a look.
The vest as you'd expect, is a very personal thing.
Took me a good long while to find one I really liked, and to kit it out so it worked without fuss.

You'll figure it out, it'll just take time.

Associate
Why is hand sanitizer mandatory ?
I guess that's just left over from the Height of Covid. I suppose it's easier to leave it in (and not enforce it) just in case.
There's a nitecore ut27 that's very good for the money, that's worth a look.
The vest as you'd expect, is a very personal thing.
Took me a good long while to find one I really liked, and to kit it out so it worked without fuss.

You'll figure it out, it'll just take time.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
I have a couple of vests already. Did you usual noob thing of going cheap on Amazon. It got me by doing on my local runs, but isn't great. The front pockets for the flasks are way too shallow. Now have the UD 5.0 which is better, but still have 'flappy teets'! The Salomon vests look like they have nice deep pockets, will probably try them in the future.
Yes, I suppose there is going to be some wastage (like above), with finding what works for me.

Back
Top Bottom