Playing around with making the Soundblaster G6 portable (with mobile phone)

Soldato
First things first: I failed LOL.

I was looking at the prices of portable amplifiers for my KZ ZS10 Pro IEM's, and tried an experiment with my G6. I ordered an OTG USB to USB C adapter, that also has an additional USB C port for power. ('USB C OTG Adapter with Power, 2 in 1 USB C to USB 3.0 OTG with 60W PD Charging Adapter')

I tried plugging it in directly to my Android phone (Motorola 2023 5G Stylus (manufacturer version, not the lame carrier version), and it semi worked. It basically got recognized as a Soundblaster G6 by the phone, and the volume control on the G6 worked fine, but that only changed the phone volume as such (NOT amplified). It played audio intermittently (it would work, but unplug and try again, and then it wouldn't etc.

I tried adding a power brick or battery to the adapter, and at that point all it did was charge the phone and no longer recognize the device lol. Which was weird.

I'm still interested in experimenting with the setup for giggles though. Curious if I can get a line out signal or TOSLINK from my phone.

EDIT: And yes, I know I know... I'm already eyeing up the Qudelix-5K USB/Bluetooth DAC for $109.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom