Playing media from external drive on 360

Associate
Hi guys. Ive just had my external drive delivered so I can watch films through my xbox from the drive. Ive plugged it into the xbox and installed the drivers from the console and shifted a movie over onto the drive. Now when I plug it into the console I can't seem to find how to access the drive to play the file. Is it still possible to do this?

Many thanks.

Edit* Ive now found the system video player. However the file can't be supported. Do I have to change the video to a different format before my xbox can read it?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Awesome thanks. Ive had a bit play round and found, like you say, it will play some files and not others. I'll download that programme now and get to work changing all the unplayable files. Cheers mate,

Associate
OP
Converted a file and its worked fine but its not the same quality as the original file, and thats visible whilst watching it through the xbox. Maybe I need to play with the settings on xmedia.

Associate
OP
Another heads up is that Xbox 360 doesnt like soft coded subtitles either. So either they have to be hardcoded(which I'm yet to find a decent way of doing this) or not there atall.

Pain in the butt

Just spotted the above, Under the video tab, if you scroll to the very bottom there should be a copy video check box, this will stop the program altering the video atall, so the quality should be the same as the original source.

Ok, subtitles generally speaking arn't a problem, as they are mostly films for the kids.
Ive just had quick look under the video tab and can't spot the check box for copy video. Under the video tab there are the following... General, Deblocking, B-Frame, Partition Macroblock, Rate Control, Motion estimation, Quantizers, Extra, Slicing and Bluray. Should I be in one of those sub sections? Apologies for the lack of knowledge, im fairly cack when it comes to computers these days.

Back
Top Bottom