*PlayStation 3 Discussions*

Soldato
Does the super slim have major overheating issues then? Or just noisy?

I don't think it's any worse than the slim or full fat versions but due to the age of them now the thermal paste will have turned to dust. As I had it in bits it seemed an ideal opportunity to keep it as cool as possible which also makes it as quiet as it could be. The only time I hear the fan now is the quick blip it does at startup.

Soldato
I’ve just picked up a 60gb Fat with a CPU delid, liquid metal re paste on the gfx chip also and all the thermal pads replaced. It’s also got some software to allow control of the fan.

Hoping this gives me reasonable service for playing all my PS1,2&3 games, plus it’s less hassle than having 2 or 3 consoles hooked up.

Soldato
Some of these consoles could be up to 16 years old. They just need a little TLC/servicing as they would've been hammered by kids when they were new.

Soldato
I’ve just picked up a 60gb Fat with a CPU delid, liquid metal re paste on the gfx chip also and all the thermal pads replaced. It’s also got some software to allow control of the fan.

Hoping this gives me reasonable service for playing all my PS1,2&3 games, plus it’s less hassle than having 2 or 3 consoles hooked up.
Nice, where did you get that?

V F

V F

Soldato
I have no real attachment to that era really. Yes there were a lot of good releases but generally games around that time were a grey/brown sludgy mess with questionable framerate issues. Think my collection is basically fighters, racers and the ninja gaidens.
I have an OG PS3 (with all the chips and slots) but too afraid to turn it on nowadays in case it explodes into a fireball.
Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots (2008) was one of them.

Aiming on the DS3 was awful in that game.

Does the super slim have major overheating issues then? Or just noisy?
Mine is certainly still quiet from 2012. No modifications. To think how magical the PS3 was back in 2006/7/8/9.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been playing the Ratchet & Clank HD Collection (starting with the first game) on my PS3 lately. I never played any of the PS2-era R&C games but I have played most of the main ones since; having played the PS4 remake of the first game, it's neat seeing the original. Looking forward to playing the other two and I've also bought R&C Nexus which I missed back in the day.

My DS4 is working pretty well with the PS3 too, although it's a real shame they never got vibration working with it.

Soldato
Finally set up my new (refurbed) Fat PS3 and I’m delighted to see that PS1 games look so much better than they do through either my PS1 or PS2, both via my OSSC.

I spent a lot of time tweaking my OSSC settings and money buying decent cables but the overall image quality has always been a bit, meh. Should have bought a Fat PS3 years ago.

I’m now copying my PS1/2/3 games to the hard drive (using multi-man) but it takes sooo long!

Soldato
Ps3 slim sits nicely above out Sky box. Just fired up Virtua fighter 2 and played some ranked mode, people still online online.
Well worth the £3.69 or something I paid for it on Playstation store.

FYI, you can still buy games but you’ll need PS store wallet credits which you can buy on Amazon.

Pics of my Ps3, games collection and VF2. I’ve mainly played VF2 and Wipeout 2097 but do have move controllers, an eye camera and some move games im still to even try.

eaRh08L.jpg

iHEF49E.jpg

Jc8ur1n.jpg

Associate
I'll always have a special loathing for the PS3 - I bought GTA V for the PS3 on day of release only for me to suffer the dreaded yellow light of death as it was installing. Didn't stop me buying a PS 4 or 5 though :D

Associate
PS3 is one of the weirdest consoles I've ever owned, played plenty of games over the years on the fat and slim line ones and traded them all in during the time it was popular but have very few enjoyable memories from it all. Think it was at the time of COD and FIFA being the main things anyone played.

Still have a working one with Skate 2 (genuinely a good game), Rayman Origins, GRID (best way to play it), ICO and Prince of Persia Trilogy but that's it. Curious what is considered a must play and a classic on this?

GT6 doesn't count, too much RnG to get the classic cars to finish the game :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom