PlayStation 4 Pro in-bound

Soldato
Wonder if someone can give me the short and sweet on this.

Is there any benefit upgrading to the Pro if you're staying on 1080p for the time being? Alternatively I could look at grabbing a cheap Phillips 40' 4K but I hate laying out heaps extra (in form of a new 4K HDR TV) for a console I've barely touched since completing Uncharted 4.

For future games and games that have been patched: At 1080 things will look nicer: longer draw distance, higher density of graphics. You will also benefit from smoother game play, with less dips and more constant FPS.

Soldato
Is the pro meant to be the Scorpio equivalent then?

kind of I guess (excluding the UHD drive of course) and Sony also appear to be a little stingy on storage also in comparison

Given the PS4 was (theoretically) more powerful already than the original XBOne, the Pro and Scorpio are probably meant to match up until at the very least Sony do a complete refresh (not sure if Scorpio is meant to be the intermediate upgrade or the new gen itself)

Associate
Is the pro meant to be the Scorpio equivalent then?

Not equivalent but competing for the same customers who are looking replacement for their PS4/Xbox One. When Scorpio finally some day becomes available gamers have to choose between the two power consoles. I'm thinking it will be easy decision at least for those who are playing with PC too: only the PS as a platform still offering true exlusives, Xbox exlusives will be widely available for PC.

For sure Scorpio will be more powerfull no doubt about it. Pro just having one year head start + possibly its first price drop and a massive library of "4k" games.

Soldato
Wonder if someone can give me the short and sweet on this.

Is there any benefit upgrading to the Pro if you're staying on 1080p for the time being? Alternatively I could look at grabbing a cheap Phillips 40' 4K but I hate laying out heaps extra (in form of a new 4K HDR TV) for a console I've barely touched since completing Uncharted 4.

At this point, it's hard to tell. Developers can seemingly do whatever they want so it could be you get a significantly improved experience over the base PS4, or it could be very little difference.

Wait and see, I certainly wouldn't be pre-ordering one just for 1080p without seeing what the developers are going to do with it first.

Soldato
Currently have the PS VR on pre order from amazon but am now wondering if i'd be better off just getting a PS pro or possibly even just waiting for the xbox scorpio..

i have a feeling VR might not be that impressive on the vanilla ps4 and after the initial buzz of trying it for the first time, it may just gather dust. For £350 i could wait for the ps pro...or even get a second 27" monitor...

decisions decisions :(

Soldato
Not equivalent but competing for the same customers who are looking replacement for their PS4/Xbox One. When Scorpio finally some day becomes available gamers have to choose between the two power consoles. I'm thinking it will be easy decision at least for those who are playing with PC too: only the PS as a platform still offering true exlusives, Xbox exlusives will be widely available for PC.

For sure Scorpio will be more powerfull no doubt about it. Pro just having one year head start + possibly its first price drop and a massive library of "4k" games.

But i just dont get why no 4k drive? Ive not watched the stream, does it actually say that? I realise if they are releasing a 4k stand alone player it might make some sense but its still stupid, thats one of the reasons HD-DVD died imo.

Soldato
But i just dont get why no 4k drive? Ive not watched the stream, does it actually say that? I realise if they are releasing a 4k stand alone player it might make some sense but its still stupid, thats one of the reasons HD-DVD died imo.

Its a feature they see not many people are or will use. If anyone wants 4K then they will stream it not buy physical media.

To keep prices low then remove the possible most expensive hardware.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...o-our-approach-isnt-reactive-this-time-around

As I said before, people will moan about no UHD drive now but will get over it in 12 months time and still buy the console anyway for the one reason........TO PLAY GAMES.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently have the PS VR on pre order from amazon but am now wondering if i'd be better off just getting a PS pro or possibly even just waiting for the xbox scorpio..

i have a feeling VR might not be that impressive on the vanilla ps4 and after the initial buzz of trying it for the first time, it may just gather dust. For £350 i could wait for the ps pro...or even get a second 27" monitor...

decisions decisions :(

That's my hunch too and suspect VR was the main driving force behind the Pro. Framerate is king with VR and I see no way of the PS4 running two images up to 120hz with any decent level of details. There may well be some simple games that are fun, but I suspect the real experience will be on the Pro. VR is the single big selling point of the Pro imo - especially as there's no UHD drive! And sure, if you have a 4k hdr panel there's that incentive too, but tbh even with such a panel i'd rather be playing games at 1080p @ 60 fps than faux, upscaled 4k @ 30 fps.

It's probably wise to wait and see what happens re. VR performance and what developers tend to do with the Pro. Don't get the monitor tho - you know you're going to want one of thew two :)

Its a feature they see not many people are or will use. If anyone wants 4K then they will stream it not buy physical media.

To keep prices low then remove the possible most expensive hardware.

It does exclude a whole section of the av enthusiast market though. The exact same section that spends money on things like 4k HDR ready panels. I would have pre-ordered a Pro if it came with 4k blu-ray for the same reason I pre-ordered a PS3 for blu-ray. There are forums all over the place echoing the same thing. Whether Sony will save money in the long run is hard to say, but my feelings are this is a big mistake.

Last edited:
Soldato
It does exclude a whole section of the av enthusiast market though. The exact same section that spends money on things like 4k HDR ready panels. I would have pre-ordered a Pro if it came with 4k blu-ray for the same reason I pre-ordered a PS3 for blu-ray. There are forums all over the place echoing the same thing. Whether Sony will save money in the long run is hard to say, but my feelings are this is a big mistake.

But the av enthusiast market isn't their target audience. Their attitude is "if you want 4K disc playback then go out buy one of our 4K players as we make them too....just not here."

I'm sure the av enthusiast market would buy a proper dedicated 4K player, not a games console. Not even the Xbox One S has the full features of 4K playback compared to a dedicated 4K player. Such as Dolby Atom, its missing for a reason and that's because of hardware limitations but MS don't want to admit it due to bad PR. So they are figuring out a way through some form of sound emulation by software. Exactly the same way all of a sudden the original PS4 can do HDR through a software update.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The AV enthusiasts who buy the console for a UHD drive are unlikely to be spending money in the PSN store on games, films, TV. That's where Sony wants you to be. They won't make much money off someone who just plays UHD discs.

Caporegime
Cant wait for the day that consoles get rid of the disk drive, it would free up a metric ton of space, who cares about dem luddites with no internet, they dont give Sony what they want anymore (using their services).

Soldato
I'm just surprised they didn't show off the PSVR alongside the Pro. I suppose they didn't want to **** off the core PS4 users and risk them not buying PSVR.

Caporegime
I know the console V PC debate is as old as time itself, but out of a purely enthusiast interest, I wonder how the PS Pro matches up against today's graphics cards now. Do you think it matches my 970, surpasses it or still not as powerful?

Soldato
I read it's like to be on par with a 970. But I don't even know what that means. Just repeating what a read. And that Scorpio might equal 1070.

I don't understand why people are getting so hung up over the UHD drive. We stream or download pretty much everything. I thought we were shifting from physical media. Isn't that the point?

Soldato
Physical media still sells very, very well. People might stream a lot of Netflix or whatever but they're still buying new releases on discs.

I was hoping to prove you wrong, but did some quick Googling and wow, the DVD market is massive. :o

Still don't get it. We once had a huge DVD collection (accumulated over many years between two of us) and hardly ever watched them. We rarely watch the same movie twice unless it's something special. Eventually got rid due to all the space they took up.

Back
Top Bottom