Please Check This Spec Guys

Associate
Right,

I'm building a new PC in a hurry as my old one went pop when I plugged a Cat 5 cable intot the second Ethernet port and it powered down (not a soft dower down)

since then it just keeps restarting about 2 seconds after the PC is turned on. So am guessing the Mobo has gone.

Well, it's good excuse to get a new one as well.

CPU - AMD 64 3000+ (SKt 939) @ 2.9GHz - Already got
Mobo - DFI Lanparty NF4 Sli D
RAM - Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT Twinx (2x1GB)
GFX - Club 3D 7800GT (Not from OcuK)
HDD - 1 74GB Raptor & 1 250GB Caviar
DVD - 2 x NEC ND 4570 DVD RW R9
HSF - Zalman CNPS9500
PSU - Enermax Liberty 500W Sli Modular

Now firstly is this all ok?

And secondly has anyone got amendments to make to for around the same money.

And finally - I'm unsure on the PSU I would like to spend about the same on a PSU but not sure which to get.

Many Thanks People

skinner

Man of Honour
All parts are compatible as far as I can see there, the PSU will be fine, Enermax make good PSUs and I've heard their Liberty modular range are pretty quiet as well.

//edit I don't know how much you are getting the 7800gt for but it is worth considering the 256mb X1800XT on OcUK for ~£235 as it is a great card.

Associate
Motherboard may not be gone. The stock speed for a Venice 3000 is 1.8GHz so 2.9 is a huge overclock, biggest I have seen. Unless you have insane cooling problem may be CPU related.

Associate
OP
Sorry, the CPU isn't fitted yet. It was my old rig that went pop. The Venice is LBBLE which is one of the highest quality steppings.

The Club 3d 7800GT is being bought for £174 + VAT from a local vedor

PSU - Would the Hiper Type R be an ok choice, is a little bit cheaper and higher Wattage as not sure if 500W is going to be enough? Has anyine used them before? Are they SLi compliant? (For future use)

Cheers

Man of Honour
Skinner.Daddy said:
PSU - Would the Hiper Type R be an ok choice, is a little bit cheaper and higher Wattage as not sure if 500W is going to be enough? Has anyine used them before? Are they SLi compliant? (For future use)

Hipers are fairly highly thought off and they do claim to be SLi compliant however they don't have a split 12v line which is better for SLi(they will still work though). They are modular the same as the Enermax but from what I understand the Enermax is a little quieter, 500w is plenty for what you are suggesting although for SLi higher is better in wattage terms.

Associate
I happened to buy an issue of CPC (I'm not sure about advertising rules so only readers of CPC will know what it is), which reviewed over 40 PSU's giving the best verdicts.

They unanimously decided that Seasonic make the best PSU's at both 400-500W and 600W. They are fully SLi ready, and outperform everything else on the market.

They ARE around £100, but if you are adamant about that 7800 (which i would not recommend, the X1800 is a better buy), then it is well worth the money, because it will last and will support any graphics card you put in, with no compromises.

So in conclusion, go for a Seasonic PSU, and buy the X1800 :p ;)

InQ

InQ

Associate
Is the 250Gb HDD the 2500KS model? If so its a good drive, i put one in my sister in laws PC and have just bought a 3200KS for myself. :)

PSU sounds fine but also consider the Tagan 530W modular or Seasonic 500W (little bit more cash but about the best brand, however not modular if thats a factor).

I'd avoid getting Corsair RAM for a DFI board (speaking from experience and what i've read on dfi-street.com) as it can be hard work to get set up and stable.

I'd get either:-

Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000 Extreme Performance Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB) CAS3 (991483) (MY-000-MK)
or
G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) CAS3 Dual Channel Kit (F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ) (MY-008-GS)

The Mushkin is a bit more than the Corsair and the GSkill a bit less.

Or get some tight latency PC3200 stuff and run the A64 on a divider (high RAM speed makes little difference to performance on an A64 your better having tighter timings).

G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200 (2x1GB) CAS2 Dual Channel Kit (F1-3200PHU2-2GBZX) (MY-007-GS)
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Dual Channel Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2 (OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K) (MY-057-OC)

Soldato
InQ said:
I'd avoid getting Corsair RAM for a DFI board (speaking from experience and what i've read on dfi-street.com) as it can be hard work to get set up and stable.

Most of those problems were with the earlier BIOSs... I've used 3 different sets of Corsair RAM in my motherboard and not had a problem with the newer BIOSs...

About the power supply though.. I bought a Liberty for my Ultra D and had to RMA it because it kept rebooting at random. Spoke to the OcUK people and they said it was a known problem with DFI boards. Also spoke to the people at DFI Street and they said the same. Might be worth looking at the Seasonic range instead.

InQ

InQ

Associate
I actually have the DFI Ultra-D and 1Gb Corsair PC3200C2PT, its running rock solid with my Opty 146 but it wasnt 100% stable (in Prime95 at least) until i'd input the suggested timings from the DFI-street forum...just seems to be a little to picky IMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom