Please help me to pick a bike?

Soldato
Hello!

Recently passed my test, currently riding my Dad's Kawasaki KLE 500 which is covering the commutes quite nicely. It suffers on the motorway due mainly to a tiny screen.

I have a budget of anything up to £4k, and as I completed my training on a CBF600, I'm not adverse to a slight forward lean but do also quite enjoy the upright nature of an adventure bike. The seat on the CBF gave me a dead arse, but the riding position was fine.

My dad's Triumph Sprint 955i feels quite squished for me at 5'11" with a 32" inside leg, and I've sat on a Triumph Tiger which was very comfy, but at the top end of my budget.

Base requirements:

- Not too squished or led on the tank
- Some protection from motorway winds. Doesn't have to be a 6ft-high screen, just more comfortable at around 75 - 80mph.
- Fairly comfy seat
- Bit of poke to it. 47bhp feels distinctly non-pokey.

Bikes currently looked at:

- Tiger 800
- CBR650F
- SV650
- GSX650F

All help's appreciated!

Cheers,

K

Soldato
Street triple would be a great first bike, I had one and loved it, they are excellent bikes.

Can pick them up for <4K and you’ll love it.

Soldato
OP
I do love street triples, but how does it deal with motorways? Looking at 20 minutes of motorway each way at around 75 - 80mph.

Soldato
Sorry did mean to say I had no problems doing 100+ down the motorway, you’ll always feel it more with a naked but honestly it wasn’t a problem. :)

Soldato
I do love street triples, but how does it deal with motorways? Looking at 20 minutes of motorway each way at around 75 - 80mph.
Is this for a year round commute? If it's just in summer then a naked bike will be fine but if you're commuting though winter you'll want a decent fairing and screen.

Also, how many miles a week on the commute?

Soldato

I friend of mine picked one up from Birmingham and rode it down to Southampton on motorways. He did say it was a bit windy but was happy that he had done it.

If you are looking at a CBR get a 600 not a 650. The 650's are down on power and just seem a lot softer than the 600's

Nothing bad to say about an SV650 either. I did find I wanted a bit more power after a while though

Man of Honour

A little bit vibey through the bars after 2-3 hours at 130kph but other than that no problems at all.

I think the 2015+ models have a taller 6th gear to help with that but it's never been an issue for me other than sometimes wanting cruise control.

Wind is never ever a problem if you're a man unless it's cold. The wind chill can be very painful on a naked bike.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I commute 20 mins on an SV650 at motorway speeds. Wind isn’t really a problem at the speeds you’re talking unless you hit some open ground and it’s particularly gusty. 100mph+ though and it’s like someone pushing your head backwards :p

Street triples look a great bike but they’re also one of the most-stolen bikes, so you need to consider that imo.

Caporegime
Street triples look a great bike but they’re also one of the most-stolen bikes, so you need to consider that imo.

This is a good point too. Another thing to consider is that it'll be ridden all year round. Snow, salt, rain, etc all take a toll so you'll want something that's very cheap to repair with an abundance of parts availability and tons of dealer knowledge, and no bike fits this bill better than the SV650. Pretty much the Ford Focus of the bike world, everyone's had one / got one / ridden one / worked on one.

Man of Honour
This is a good point too. Another thing to consider is that it'll be ridden all year round. Snow, salt, rain, etc all take a toll so you'll want something that's very cheap to repair with an abundance of parts availability and tons of dealer knowledge, and no bike fits this bill better than the SV650. Pretty much the Ford Focus of the bike world, everyone's had one / got one / ridden one / worked on one.

The SV650 starts rotting at the mere mention of the word salt.

Soldato
I think it would be well worth taking a VFR800 Crossrunner out. Budget won't get you a bang up to date one but the previous 11-14 model.

As an all year commuter its got the protection but at least it's got some character and fun-ability. I ride a new model frequently and the V4 VTEC lump is very enjoyable.

Man of Honour
Any bike treated with love and attention (and ACF50) won't rust, but the SV650 only makes a great winter hack because it's cheap rather than because of its reputation at standing up to the elements.

Soldato
The old model vfr800 crossrunner was terrible as far as I know, steer well clear!!

The new one is a good bike though.

Nothing wrong with a VFR800F, pre VTEC 5th gen, mine does the commute and loads more with no issues. yeah it's a heavy girl when moving it about by hand, but once you're moving its not noticeable at all, it's very well balanced.

If you're commuting year round there's certain things that should be on your tick list:

Good headlights
Wind protection and/or a decent screen
ABS or linked brakes
A light clutch, easy to filter characteristics
Good fuel range if you're doing 150 mile or more a week

There's a few 'adventure' style bikes, I'd go for a transalp 700 if you've got 4k, my budget was £2k which is why I got a VFR, but if I'd had £4k it would have been a transalp in my garage.

They're only 50bhp but they have a nice punchy, torqey engine, ABS, loads of wind protection, good headlights, 50-60mpg, cheap to insure, adventure style so good riding position, top box, cheap tyres, and you'll get a 2011/2012 model for under £4k. Just get a decent exhaust as they sound terrible with the stock one.

And it's a Honda so it won't break down or disintegrate in the salt!!! :D
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/263338602081

Back
Top Bottom