Please help - problem with system

Associate
My computer is quite old and has a radeon 9800pro in it. Now when i fire it up the screen is very dodgy with stripes of green and general junk all over it. It is not the monitor - tested it on another system.

Does the graphics card need replacing. Buying a brand new system soon but need it to tide me over.

What is the problem - any ideas?
Thanks guys

Associate
zilly_boi said:
My computer is quite old and has a radeon 9800pro in it. Now when i fire it up the screen is very dodgy with stripes of green and general junk all over it. It is not the monitor - tested it on another system.

Does the graphics card need replacing. Buying a brand new system soon but need it to tide me over.

What is the problem - any ideas?
Thanks guys

Yep, sounds like Graphics Card is borked! You'll have a buy a new one I'm affraid. Get something like the ATI Radeon 7000 to get you through till new PC. About 17 quid I think?

Soldato
Check the fan, the bearings may have died.
If so, oil them and the fan should work again and last a few weeks until you need to oil it again. Good short term solution if your buying your new system very soon and it is the fan thats failed.

Soldato
Well i've just repaired a system with a dead graphics fan and it would try to boot and then crash. New cooler didn't fix it in this case because the heat buildup had caused the caps to die.
Worth checking the fan as its a very common for them to die.

Associate
Joe42 said:
Well i've just repaired a system with a dead graphics fan and it would try to boot and then crash. New cooler didn't fix it in this case because the heat buildup had caused the caps to die.
Worth checking the fan as its a very common for them to die.

Yeh worth checking, broken fan could have caused this. Just past experience tells me that when you get garbled rubbish and coloured lines on your screen (even if cooling is ok), it's new GPU time.

Soldato
Well its new gpu time even if it is the fan, oiling it only revives it for a short time. Its just easier than buying a new one if you're upgrading very soon.

Associate
OP
Raj said:
Possibility of onboard gfx? i know a few people that over looked this option.

This can be enabled in the Bios yes? Well if i can see through the green mist :D !!
Would it slow down my desktop loads just like running the internet and things?

Soldato
It will eat some ram so yes a little.
Would be easier to find out what board you have and see if it has it, onboard graphics are not exactly common on enthusiast boards.

Back
Top Bottom