Please help

Associate
My son built his PC almost a year ago. His machine suffered from random blue screen and reboot issues and his research led him to replace the motherboard and psu which has not resolved the problem. He is using Windows 10 and a friend suggested that this might be a problem due to the number of cores the cpu has. Hes run countless tests for memory disk etc and not found a cause. So his latest quest has been to swap the cpu and now all he has is a motherboard light, the machine is properly dead. I'm feeling quite sorry for the lad after he saved so hard for the machine as PC world won't repair a pc that won't switch on - get that!?
Can someone please let me know if there's a way forward for the poor lad!

His machine build list is here

** Do Not link to competitors please **

Many thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Has he got the use of his old CPU and if he has did he try it?

Also, if he hasn't tried this - reset the CMOS and run a skeleton set up:
  • CPU/HS
  • 1 stick of memory (swap sticks if necessary)
  • gfx (try a different gfx if he has one)
See if he can get the system to post.

EDIT:

(Suggestions if it gets to run but for now not relevant - but would be useful to know if he ran any of these tests before he swapped the CPU and the result he got)

Was the original CPU/GPU clocked? if it was did he remove clock?

Did he run memtest for a few hours - he has four sticks and it wouldn't be the rarest thing in the world if one of the sticks or slots was faulty or required a tweak in the BIOS.

Did he try running just 16Gb/8Gb for while - to see if things stabilized even if memtest passed.

WHat were his temps like before? - ( if he gets to boot use Core temp and MSI afterburner and see what your idle and load temps are.)

Last edited:
Soldato
See revised post above - if you read my original post it would't have been relevant as I misread your post.

Associate
OP
Thanks v much for the reply. He says he has done these things but not a skeleton test so I'll post back in a day or so when he's back and tried that. Fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom