Associate
Motherboard – ROG Strix X99 Gaming
Boot device – Samsung 256gb 950 Pro M.2
Storage SSD – Samsung 2TB 860 Evo
RAM – 32gb TridentZ 3200Mhz
VGA – Asus Strix 2080ti
CPU - 6900k
PSU – EVGA Supernova 1000 P2

Honestly I'm stumped, PC has worked without any issues for a couple of years now. I left it up and running and updating games in Steam whilst I had a shower, only to find the PC has shut itself down upon my return. Went to power up and it now only boots for a split second before turning itself back off. I’m immediately thinking hardware issues, so I begin the laborious process of eliminating each component.

• I jumped the 24 pin power adaptor and the PSU powers on without fail, fully running my fans and water pump.
  • I removed all my RAM and tried booting with each stick individually, the chances of all the sticks being bad are minimal.
  • Not being able to change any other hardware because of my water cooling setup, I reset the CMOS and replaced it with a brand new battery. Interestingly enough the system burst to life but shows a boot failure screen (not my picture but this is the same error https://linustechtips.com/main/uplo...1559.JPG.77e46d97366fef41964ed0febebea968.JPG), I don’t have a RAID set up on my system. I pressed F1 and entered the BIOS, the PC at this point seems entirely stable and doesn’t shut itself down, thus eliminating any fears I may have had regarding any broken hardware. I then proceeded to restore default BIOS settings and the PC the rebooted upon save and exit. As soon as the PC reboots it then goes back to the original problem of firing up for just a split second before powering off, despite working perfectly stable in the BIOS screen.
  • I repeat the process, but this time once I get into the BIOS I use Asus EZ Flash to install the latest BIOS version, which just happens to be the same one I have been running for 6 months at least. The PC restarts itself as part of the process and immediately goes back to the original issue.
  • I then use the BIOS Flashback utility and jump back to a previous version of my BIOS, this works without issue and once again I can boot my hardware to the same boot error screen and prompts me to enter the BIOS. As you can guess now I’m lost for ideas but I once again try to restore default settings, make sure the time and date are updated from 01/01/2000 and press save and exit. Once again I am not back to the original issue.
I really don’t think this is a hardware issue but I am now lost as to what to try next, any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

**edit So out of frustration I just spammed the power button... failed to work 20 times.... pressed it randomly once and it's now booted to desktop just fine, it's been running in this state for well over an hour without issue... I'm reluctant to turn it off now until I can identify the issue xD

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom