• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
If not technically the fastest it isn't worth buying comon you know this.
It is silly imo. For starters the 4870 was the fastest when it came out and beat the GTX 8800 for only £200.

In my opinion it is only with pascal which AMD fell behind. Before that they were doing fine. Being 5-10% behind is nothing if price for performance is much better imo.

They probably won’t have the fastest card for a long time, but as long as they can offer better price for performance they will always be an option for me. They could not manage that with Vega, let’s hope they can with Navi. If they fail to do that, we can expect to pay Titan V prices going forward for the best.

Permabanned
Few weeks back you wrote that you will never buy AMD card ever............
Do you want me to link your post?
Well I know I wont cause AMD cant deliver anyway :D I got better hopes for Intel at this stage haha.
I could write what I think about AMD's Gpu department but not in mood for another week long ban.

Soldato
Well I know I wont cause AMD cant deliver anyway :D I got better hopes for Intel at this stage haha.
I could write what I think about AMD's Gpu department but not in mood for another week long ban.

Intel GPU is NOT a gaming GPU but a pure computing card. People should stop having fantasies about it.
It doesn't have the patents for what is needed.

Soldato
Intel GPU is NOT a gaming GPU but a pure computing card. People should stop having fantasies about it.
It doesn't have the patents for what is needed.

Its that a crystal ball or have Intel made a confirmation one way or another? They have Pure compute cards already. Plus they have the resrouces to build 1 or more archituvires like say Nvidia, release a "gaming" with some compute GPU and new more compute focused gpu.

All we really know atm is its planned for 2020 and is code named Arctic Sound
we had a teaser video from the Intel graphics twitter while at SIGGRAPH this you
and Raja is probably;

"In this position, Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments."

In short I'm sure they are doing products that focus on both.

Soldato
In short I'm sure they are doing products that focus on both.
Maybe, but I'd have thought they'd have knocked out better onboard graphics by now. The 9900K is total pwned :p by the 2400G when it comes to 1080P gaming using onboard graphics. Intel have also had a go at GPU's in the past but pulled the plug, although there's much more money to be made now. I think we'd be in dream world to think Intel want to bring competitive pricing to gaming GPU's. Maybe initially to gain market share but if(unlikely) they knocked out a better product than NV, it would be priced higher too IMO

Last edited:
Soldato
It is silly imo. For starters the 4870 was the fastest when it came out and beat the GTX 8800 for only £200.

In my opinion it is only with pascal which AMD fell behind. Before that they were doing fine. Being 5-10% behind is nothing if price for performance is much better imo.

They probably won’t have the fastest card for a long time, but as long as they can offer better price for performance they will always be an option for me. They could not manage that with Vega, let’s hope they can with Navi. If they fail to do that, we can expect to pay Titan V prices going forward for the best.

yer it makes little sence a desktop part above a i5 or even a i5 has a igpu, its a Massive chunk of die space the igpu (looks like 25% or so on a 9900k) they would have been better off removing it to keep it at 8700K pricing, would have helped with the 14nm woes abit. Heck I'm surprised they not tried a mutli die same package approach if they really wanted to keep the IGPU ie the cpu on one die and the gpu the other.

AMD was smart to use have larger 4core die with a good iGPU than hall around dead weight on there 6 and 8 core models.

Permabanned
Played a few hours of Rise of the tombraider last night with my new 1080ti.

Looked amazing :cool:

I started playing the Rise of the Tomb Raider's dlc's I haven't touched yet last week, Running 3440x1440 Freesync with Vega, It looked and ran great, I remember when it released it was not Fiji friendly but now with double the HBM it's a different story, I haven't finished Shadow yet, I'm not sure why but I haven't been enjoying it like I did the other 2, The story hasn't drawn me in this time.

Soldato
I'm not saying I disagree with the new Nvidia cards being overpriced, but I'm wondering who decides what is overpriced and what's an acceptable price?
Is the £600 1080Ti reasonably priced? I'm sure it would've have been that long ago (probably pre-Vega) that people were complaining about 1080Ti price/performance.
Is ~£400-450 acceptable? Is this just the red team trying to make Vega relevant? ("Best affordable card"). Surely there are people that see £450 as too much for a GPU when you can get 4K consoles for less?
So what, £300? £250? £200?

What is reasonable and who decides it (and why do they get to)?

Soldato
...I'm wondering who decides what is overpriced and what's an acceptable price

I think a lot of it, certainly from opinions on these forums, is price-performance ratio of the product itself and the price increase over the previous generation. There is acceptance that introduction of new technologies increase costs because of R&D investment, and recouping manufacturing costs from substantially bigger dies, but if a chunky price increase isn't reflected in performance and capabilities then it's "overpriced".

So using the RTX cards as an example: yes, R&D from the RTX technologies and producing the physically bigger needs to be recouped, so price will increase, but these new features are a:) not even implemented in games yet and b:) are woefully underpowered in what little demonstration we've seen. So there is a premium to pay for something you can't even use. Then, the part of the card that you can use isn't significantly faster than the previous generation. But the price has increased by, what, 50% over the previous generation? The disparity between what you get and how much it costs makes it "overpriced".

Same goes for RX Vega: HBM made no discernible difference to gaming performance but there was a big price premium because it existed, plus they performed worse than the price-equivalent Nvidia card. Too hot, too hungry, too slow made vega "overpriced".

V F

V F

Soldato
What does my nut in about hardware in general for the most part when people get a new cpu and\or gpu it's like they also took a blood oath to defend it to the death on forums. I honestly could not give 2 balls of roasted snow what is in my system as long as it gives me the performance i want and the price i want to pay. I don't get the cheerleading for a piece of hardware at all. :confused:

You should know by now. Microsoft vs Apple, Windows vs OS X, Microsoft vs Sony, Xbox vs Playstation, AMD vs Intel, AMD vs NVIDIA, Corel vs Photoshop, Left vs Right, Blue vs Red.

Soldato
If you all had some sort of self control and didn't pay these extortionate prices Nvidia would have to adjust to us instead of us adjusting to them.

But you don't.

And Nvidia knows that you do not and knows that you will pay the prices. They would be leaving money on the table by selling cheaper. Brand loyalty is very real among us fleshbags. It's like Apple, people will happily pay 30% extra for the "brand" - whatever that means.

Back
Top Bottom