• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lisa Su literally just confirmed they are aiming for high-end with upcoming products. Whether that's 2019 or 2020 we don't know, but they are looking to take the crown again.

Hopefully this time they also target mindshare instead of just stats. Nvidia have the collective mindshare currently so sticking a product out that's superior just gets them all confused and they still buy Nvidia. Though the 2xxx debacle is certainly causing a ruckus :D
+1 would love to see that.

Would be nice to have an all AMD system around 2020/21. By then we will hopefully have 4K MicroLED Freesync 2 144Hz monitors with proper HDR. Until then I will be sticking with my G-Sync screen which I am very happy with currently.

Caporegime
There is already Vega 64, and the non reference (and LC) cards are truly great performers beating the GTX1080/2070. Let alone if you spend 5 minutes and cut power consumption (there are settings in the Vega 64 discussion).

As @Boomstick777 (the traitor :p ) said, is kinda pointless going for £1300 market.
Last I looked, the 1080 was winning most of the bench results.

Mind you, you did trade a 1080Ti in for a Vega 64, as the 1080Ti was "boring". You would rather overclock the Vega 64 to try and eek out every drop of performance to make it more fun getting playable frame rates rather than just firing up the game and getting playable frame rates :D Hard to take someone serious when they do and say things like that.

Soldato
As we'll soon be seeing on PCwith DLSS! :p

Three of the heavily promoted RTX & DLSS games :

FFXV for PC was cancelled.
Tomb Raider is out not 2 months, everyone who bought it has finished it, no date for DLSS or RTX.
BF5 , current subscribers to Origin got to play the game yesterday, doesn't support DLSS or RTX. DX11 performance is way better than DX12 which is needed for DXR. Unknown date when DXR support will come.

Soldato
Last I looked, the 1080 was winning most of the bench results.

Mind you, you did trade a 1080Ti in for a Vega 64, as the 1080Ti was "boring". You would rather overclock the Vega 64 to try and eek out every drop of performance to make it more fun getting playable frame rates rather than just firing up the game and getting playable frame rates :D Hard to take someone serious when they do and say things like that.

a) Show me benchmarks were the reference or Strix card is not used, and the Vega 64 is losing to 1080. FYi LC/Nitro/Red Devil are of same performance.
I bet the only games you will find are couple of gameworks games :D

b) Have you seen the forum we are in? It is not stockclockers mate. Seems many have downgraded to that, like yourself but not everyone in here :p

Caporegime
a) Show me benchmarks were the reference or Strix card is not used, and the Vega 64 is losing to 1080. FYi LC/Nitro/Red Devil are of same performance.
I bet the only games you will find are couple of gameworks games :D

b) Have you seen the forum we are in? It is not stockclockers mate. Seems many have downgraded to that, like yourself but not everyone in here :p
Sigh, I have pulled you up before about stating that the V64 is better than the 1080 and showed you a comparison where it showed this to be false, so here is another.
Here you can clearly see that the Vega card clearly isn't better than the 1080 and as I can tell, the 1080 is winning most of them tests.
Ohhh and you like playing forums? I prefer playing games and just playing without messing about with settings. Having to lower volts to make the card run cooler and drain less power is a chore I would rather not undertake to be honest and I certainly wouldn't trade a 1080Ti for a much slower card and then try and justify myself by stating the forum name. I have done my time at overclocking with LN2 etc and getting solid game poerformance without messing about is my relaxing times tasks :D

Man of Honour
I recall buying a Creative Geforce Ti 3500 in 2002 for about £300 iirc.. I can't remember for certain but i'm sure it was around this.. This was the best Nvidia had to offer at the time. Using an inflation calculator, the same card would cost £474 today. The pound experienced an average inflation rate of 2.90% per year during this period.

So it does seem that a lot of these companies are over pricing for their products.. but then again it maybe costs factored outside general inflation costs.. Expansion, R&D, Import/Exports etc or simply because they know that generally, people have more disposable incomes for such luxuries.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sigh, I have pulled you up before about stating that the V64 is better than the 1080 and showed you a comparison where it showed this to be false, so here is another.
Here you can clearly see that the Vega card clearly isn't better than the 1080 and as I can tell, the 1080 is winning most of them tests.
Ohhh and you like playing forums? I prefer playing games and just playing without messing about with settings. Having to lower volts to make the card run cooler and drain less power is a chore I would rather not undertake to be honest and I certainly wouldn't trade a 1080Ti for a much slower card and then try and justify myself by stating the forum name. I have done my time at overclocking with LN2 etc and getting solid game poerformance without messing about is my relaxing times tasks :D

Thats a reference card......

Caporegime
I recall buying a Creative Geforce Ti 3500 in 2002 for about £300 iirc.. I can't remember for certain but i'm sure it was around this.. This was the best Nvidia had to offer at the time. Using an inflation calculator, the same card would cost £474 today. The pound experienced an average inflation rate of 2.90% per year during this period.

So it does seem that a lot of these companies are over pricing for their products.. but then again it maybe over costs that are factored outside generate inflation costs.. Expansion, R&D, Import/Exports etc or simply because they know that generally, people have more disposable incomes for such luxuries.
I remember drawling over the 8800 Ultra but was massively out of my price range at the time, so had to settle with a 8800GT, which in fairness did a stella job (missed the R off StellaR purposefully) :D The 8800 Ultra was well over £700 iirc and that was a long time ago.

Soldato
I remember drawling over the 8800 Ultra but was massively out of my price range at the time, so had to settle with a 8800GT, which in fairness did a stella job (missed the R off StellaR purposefully) :D The 8800 Ultra was well over £700 iirc and that was a long time ago.

But was a silly card. Silly because it was just a volt modded 8800 GTX. Which cost considerably less, even if it didn't look as nice.

TBH after reading several threads about it now I am absolutely convinced that no one who bought a RTX card did so for the RTX. Why? because there isn't any, wasn't any, and from the sound of it won't be any any time soon.

I won't go into the reasons why they bought them, as it's not worth it. Plus I would only be labelled a hater and possibly serve a ban. Any way, afore ye go. I will go back to reading.

Caporegime
But was a silly card. Silly because it was just a volt modded 8800 GTX. Which cost considerably less, even if it didn't look as nice.

TBH after reading several threads about it now I am absolutely convinced that no one who bought a RTX card did so for the RTX. Why? because there isn't any, wasn't any, and from the sound of it won't be any any time soon.

I won't go into the reasons why they bought them, as it's not worth it. Plus I would only be labelled a hater and possibly serve a ban. Any way, afore ye go. I will go back to reading.
I am holding off playing SotTR whilst waiting for RT to drop. I bought my 2080Ti solely on the basis of RT and DLSS and with the thought of ordering a Pimax 5K Plus VR headset.

Soldato
Caporegime
:D hahahah :D

The card is overheating and throttles to the floor with those settings.
If they had cut -50mv on P6 & P7 it should be 5% faster without any other changes.
(if they start OC HBM only, perf will jump).

Have a look here what my findings were with the reference on air.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32219331/
Yep, fire up wattman, cut 50mV from the p6 and p7 state and Uncle Bob is now apart of the family :D Easy peasy to get a less hotter and power hungry card to play games, whilst silly 1080 users just play.

Soldato
Yep, fire up wattman, cut 50mV from the p6 and p7 state and Uncle Bob is now apart of the family :D Easy peasy to get a less hotter and power hungry card to play games, whilst silly 1080 users just play.

Don't forget the GTX1080 used on the benchmark you posted, is the overclocked Palit, and yet they overclocked it even more to 2000Mhz...

So is fine to spend 5 minutes overclock the GTX1080, but not spend 5 minutes undervolt the Vega 64? (I do not even said anything about overclocking the Vega...). :D

tsk tsk double standards...... :p

Caporegime
Don't forget the GTX1080 used on the benchmark you posted, is the overclocked Palit, and yet they overclocked it even more to 2000Mhz...
Mate, I just grabbed a test, looked at the bench results for most of em and posted it. I didn't even check them all and was just proving a point.

iirc, you had a 1080? So you went from a 1080 that beat a Vega 64 in most games, went to a 1080Ti that comfortably beat the Vega 64 in ALL games and then went to a Vega 64 that needs volt adjustment to be comparable with your original card. That seems madness to me but hey, I am old and just like gaming in my downtime.

Soldato
Mate, I just grabbed a test, looked at the bench results for most of em and posted it. I didn't even check them all and was just proving a point.

iirc, you had a 1080? So you went from a 1080 that beat a Vega 64 in most games, went to a 1080Ti that comfortably beat the Vega 64 in ALL games and then went to a Vega 64 that needs volt adjustment to be comparable with your original card. That seems madness to me but hey, I am old and just like gaming in my downtime.

Yes.
I had the GTX1080 oced at 2190 (spent hours trying to see how the curve works).
Then moved to 1080Ti (post Vega 64 launch) which on air couldn't do more than 2163 and the factory overclock was 2100. And said many times even last few weeks, that anyone who considers a 1080Ti should get it.
(and anyone gets the Aorus ones should upgrade to F3F/F4 bios as it greatly improves the card).

And then moved to Vega 64. True is slower than the Ti and said so numerous times, but not the 1080 though. Not from my experience on the games I am playing. (even Nvidia favoured titles like WOT & WOWarships).

However last 4 months was the most fun I had with a card tweaking the last 16 years. (since 9500np)
And you will see it on my activity. I have posted a single benchmark in here when I had the 1080ti and only couple when I had the 1080.
I wasn't even active assisting people with tweaking and improving their perf because they are boring cards to tweak and overclock. You just crank 2 sliders and off you go.

Though see how many posts on tweaking the Vega I have done and the results we are geting on benchmarks (mid 27000 on graphic, the best 1080 does 25000 if the room is cold....).

Also another two reasons moving to V64 was that I still have freesync monitor and had I bought the LG32GK850G back in March wouldn't have upgraded from the Ti. (wrote this also numerous times).
And lastly, I am playing with TensorFlow since June. The GTX1080Ti is a slow card compared to Vega 64. Especially undervolted and HBM to 1100, is amazing card close to TV100 performance. A card 20 times more expensive.

So is not only "more" FPS.

Associate

Seems like the research level used is similar to the OC level used by Nvidia users ;)

Sorry that's a bit of a low blow, but at the same time I've had similar results to Panos, though with different reasoning for card purchase. I can find one or two games which are so heavily Nvidia biased that the 1080 will win, but the vast majority of games will end up being quicker on my Vega64 than the 1080. The stock results from HWU, GN and many of the other sites are mostly done with stock settings on reference or the incredibly poor Strix cards. HWU in particular doesn't get how to OC his Vega's which is a point of contention, but hey that's the way of things. Most of the online reviews as a result skew the performance in favour of the 1080's as so far only the Overclock.net and OCUK Vega threads seem to have anyone who's really delved into the OC of these cards.

Even GN's softmodded Vega56 experiment has only core modded and 950MHz on HBM when the HBM ends up being a large part of the bottleneck at low frequencies. Flashing to the LC BIOS gets you 1.35v on the HBM instead of 1.25v and as such 1200MHz becomes the ceiling instead of 1100MHz (even then many V56's and V64's couldn't breach their stock HBM clocks, so silicon lottery there...). I think only Heaven benchmarks show the GTX1080 beating the Vega64 on this forum at the moment. Firestrike, Timespy, Superposition are all dominated by Vega64's and even some Vega56's.

Back
Top Bottom