• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

please just stop it, stop buying

Caporegime
Yeah I don't think you can use that argument yourself.

A 1070 vs 1080ti is like what? 40% performance increase? For like 80% more cost? You could have easily purchased a 1070 instead of a 1080ti.

There's plenty of sticks to beat the 2080ti with, but I don't think anyone that purchased above a 1060/1070 level card has a right to use the price/performance stick.

I just did...

Soldato
Yeah I don't think you can use that argument yourself.

A 1070 vs 1080ti is like what? 40% performance increase? For like 80% more cost? You could have easily purchased a 1070 instead of a 1080ti.

There's plenty of sticks to beat the 2080ti with, but I don't think anyone that purchased above a 1060/1070 level card has a right to use the price/performance stick.

No the gtx1080ti is more like 60% faster than a gtx1070 so no where near as bad. It is nearer 40% at 1080p but that is peasant resolution :D

Associate
You’ve missed the point.

1080ti replaced with 2080 ti
1080 replaced with 2080
1070 replaced with 2070

Old gen to new gen...not gen within gen...

I'm not missing the point at all. Sure, the 2080ti is terrible specifically because it's a newer gen card on a smaller process size so should offer more performance for the same price. Now that IS a stick you can beat the 2080ti with, and I am in complete agreement with you. Beat the 2080ti specifically, but not the person that purchased it.

The reality of the situation is that the 2080ti DOES cost more to buy. And, just as you did with the 1080ti vs a lesser card, if they wanted the extra performance then they had to pay the premium to obtain it. That's just the reality of the situation. Just like how a 1080ti doesn't cost 80% more to produce than a 1070, but you paid that anyway because the 1080ti is the level of performance you want.. so did the person that paid for a 2080ti.

Caporegime
I'm not missing the point at all. Sure, the 2080ti is terrible specifically because it's a newer gen card on a smaller process size so should offer more performance for the same price. Now that IS a stick you can beat the 2080ti with, and I am in complete agreement with you. Beat the 2080ti specifically, but not the person that purchased it.

The reality of the situation is that the 2080ti DOES cost more to buy. And, just as you did with the 1080ti vs a lesser card, if they wanted the extra performance then they had to pay the premium to obtain it. That's just the reality of the situation. Just like how a 1080ti doesn't cost 80% more to produce than a 1070, but you paid that anyway because the 1080ti is the level of performance you want.. so did the person that paid for a 2080ti.

People bought the 2080ti and 2080 for the features set.

Why buy the 2080 instead of the 1080ti? For the feature set as they are both the same in terms of performance and yet the 2080 is £200 more.

What don’t you get ?

Associate

Why buy the 2080 instead of the 1080ti? For the feature set as they are both the same in terms of performance and yet the 2080 is £200 more.

What don’t you get ?

I'm not talking about a 2080 and nor was you.

The quote I specifically replied to you on was you deriding someone's decision to pay a premium for performance, when you yourself have done the exact same.

What don't YOU get?

Soldato

What don’t you get ?
Because it's old tech and not worth the money considering you're now locked into the Pascal generation tech. There's no right or wrong here really, some need to get over themselves a bit (both sides to be honest) that they are completely right and must do what I have done :). As far as I see it, the 1080 Ti is now £679 and a 2080 is £749+. The 1080 Ti at that price is simply not worth it, IMO (lets not forget it's just everyones opinions here),.

It's still early days for RT and DLSS. What if a new game everyone wants is suddenly released with a 25-40% uplift with DLSS? I'm not saying it will definitely happen but with a Pascal gen card, you have zero chance of seeing any improvements in the new tech because it simply doesn't have it.
If DLSS works as NV are suggesting it will, even the 2070 could be on par with the 1080 Ti in some games :).

I don't get why the arguing over "I'm right", over a fair lowsy £100 or even less when it comes to the 2080. Heck, an old Ti owner could even lose that in extra depreciation if they suddenly decide to jump to the 20 series - who knows?
if NV release a Titan T 25% faster than the Ti and £2k, so be it too.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not talking about a 2080 and nor was you.

The quote I specifically replied to you on was you deriding someone's decision to pay a premium for performance, when you yourself have done the exact same.

What don't YOU get?

I wished them luck.

I paid £599 for 2080 levels of performance some paid £579...RT doesn’t interest me at current pricing.

As said 35% more performance over a 2080ti at launch was not worth £700 more to me...so I asked Gibbo to drop the price of the 1080ti for a short window so I could buy a 1080ti.

What point were you making again ? :p

Caporegime
Because it's old tech and not worth the money considering you're now locked into the Pascal generation tech. There's no right or wrong here really, some need to get over themselves a bit (both sides to be honest) that they are completely right and must do what I have done :). As far as I see it, the 1080 Ti is now £679 and a 2080 is £749+. The 1080 Ti at that price is simply not worth it, IMO (lets not forget it's just everyones opinions here),.

It's still early days for RT and DLSS. What if a new game everyone wants is suddenly released with a 25-40% uplift with DLSS? I'm not saying it will definitely happen but with a Pascal gen card, you have zero chance of seeing any improvements in the new tech because it simply doesn't have it.
If DLSS works as NV are suggesting it will, even the 2070 could be on par with the 1080 Ti in some games :).

I don't get why the arguing over "I'm right", over a fair lowsy £100 or even less when it comes to the 2080. Heck, an old Ti owner could even lose that in extra depreciation - who knows?

The 1080ti At £679 was not worth it...at £579 it was...and buy the time games work at decent FPS with RT I’ll be on a 3080 series gpu...I’m not locked into pascal...I can sell my card whenever I wish...and I will when a new gen offers decent gains for the cost

2080 series doesn’t. So I didn’t buy into it...I’m not saying I’m right or anyone is wrong...it is what it is the facts speak for themselves. BF5 data is in with RT and the 2080ti doesn’t cut it . FACT

Soldato
The 1080ti At £679 was not worth it...at £579 it was...and buy the time games work at decent FPS with RT I’ll be on a 3080 series gpu...I’m not locked into pascal...I can sell my card whenever I wish...and I will when a new gen offers decent gains for the cost

2080 series doesn’t. So I didn’t buy into it...I’m not saying I’m right or anyone is wrong...it is what it is the facts speak for themselves. BF5 data is in with RT and the 2080ti doesn’t cut it . FACT
Fact, but nobody really seems to care too much who have bought one. But at least 20 series owners actually get to experience it :). You see, people buy for different reasons. Maybe DLSS will come along in BF5 and give a 25-40%. Sure, even then it's still not going to be up there in performance but some want to experience it. Each to their own.
Lets also not forget that BF5 DX12 performance seems to be generally rubbish anyway. Is that a 20 series fault or a bad DX12 implementation also not helping?
20 series owners now get to play a part in the new tech developing. That matters to some too. Maybe we'll see RT improve, even in BF5. Maybe DLSS will give a nice uplift (that;s not in there yet).
Each to their own!
:)

Caporegime
Fact, but nobody really seems to care too much who have bought one. But at least 20 series owners actually get to experience it :). You see, people buy for different reasons. Maybe DLSS will come along in BF5 and give a 25-40%. Sure, even then it's still not going to be up there in performance but some want to experience it. Each to their own.
Lets also not forget that BF5 DX12 performance seems to be generally rubbish anyway. Is that a 20 series fault or a bad implementation also not helping?
20 series owners now get to play a part in the new tech developing. That matters to some too. Maybe we'll see RT improve, even in BF5. Maybe DLSS will give a nice uplift (that;s not in there yet).
Each to their own!

People generally buy gfx cards to push their chosen resolutions at close to monitor refresh rate.

Has anyone bought a 2070 to actually run RT in games at 18fps ?

I highly doubt that this is experiencing RT in all its perceived glory :p

Soldato
People generally buy gfx cards to push their chosen resolutions at close to monitor refresh rate.

Has anyone bought a 2070 to actually run RT in games at 18fps ?

I highly doubt that this is experiencing RT in all its perceived glory :p
Agree there, But why does it matter? It's an entry level RT card, still yet to be fully proven. What if DLSS puts the 2070 ahead of the 1080 Ti in some games soon? So the 2070 may make sense in other ways. It's a big "if" of course. Sure the RT aspect of the 2070 is never going to be very good :).Thing is though, it's still very early days yet for the 20 series and RT/DLSS. We all know the 30 series is going to be much better at it - that's always the case with new tech (takes a few gens), but NV had to get it out there now and many want to try it now.

Caporegime
Agree there, But why does it matter? It's an entry level RT card, still yet to be fully proven. What if DLSS puts the 2070 ahead of the 1080 Ti in some games soon? So the 2070 may make sense in other ways. It's a big "if" of course. Sure the RT aspect of the 2070 is never going to be very good :).Thing is though, it's still very early days yet for the 20 series and RT/DLSS. We all know the 30 series is going to be much better at it tho - that's always the case with new tech (takes a few gens), but NV had to get it out there now

I have no issue with NV wanting to get RT out now...I have issue with the cost of all the 20 series cards...

That’s my beef. I would have bought a 2080 series card if it was priced right...but no NV just took the ****
The 2070 series is a card costing £480 it’s not entry level pricing. Regardless of RT.

This matters...2070 £480 18fps with RT enabled...it’s not on.

£100 more and my dead tech trapped in pascal card weighing me down as I’m missing out on a stutterfest destroys it.

Soldato
Lol. It’s like you don’t want see what he is saying and would rather have the last word or something.
Or maybe he doesn't see what I'm saying and he wants to have the last word. Or maybe you do?

As far as I can tell he's saying that the 2080Ti is more expensive than, well, pretty much everything, which it is. The point I was making that he was arguing with was that you often pay extra for being an early adopter. My example was that the 290/290X had the TrueAudio chip in it, but when released the games weren't. If you waited until after the games were released you could get those graphics cards for less. I think he disagreed with this, but I'm sure the 290/290X decreased in price over their lifespan. I believe he was also saying that AMD made no attempt to cover the R&D and manufacture cost of the TrueAudio chip when selling it on and that if they hadn't put that in the card they would still have charge the exact same price. I said we can't know that this is true.

I wasn't arguing the fact that the 2080Ti is expensive and that in the future it and future RT cards will likely be cheaper than the 2080Ti is now. I was pointing out that this isn't the first time jumping on a bandwagon right at the start has been more expensive than waiting. I used the 290 as an example. I bought a 290 at launch for around £330. I latter bought a 290X for £206. The 290X also supports TrueAudio but I bought it for less and by this time all 3 or 4 games were released.

I'm not sure what I apparently got wrong?

EDIT: Would it have saved us arguing if I'd used HBM as an example instead of TrueAudio?

Last edited:
Associate

What don’t you get ?

Didn't realise you had surveyed every 2080 Ti and 2080 owner. You certainly didn't ask me.

I have no issue with NV wanting to get RT out now...I have issue with the cost of all the 20 series cards...

That’s my beef. I would have bought a 2080 series card if it was priced right...but no NV just took the ****
The 2070 series is a card costing £480 it’s not entry level pricing. Regardless of RT.

This matters...2070 £480 18fps with RT enabled...it’s not on.

£100 more and my dead tech trapped in pascal card weighing me down as I’m missing out on a stutterfest destroys it.

You had options. You bought a good card for a price you were happy with. Other people have the option of paying more for an even faster card with feature optionality in future. I don't get why you care so much.

Associate
Enlighten me

I upgraded from a 1080 to a 2080 Ti as I was struggling to drive my 1440p Ultrawide 120Hz monitor in AAA games such as Forza Horizon 4. I upgraded for better raster performance (which is significantly better), any future DLSS or RTX will be an added bonus.

Yes the cost is high - but that is a personal decision of affordability, and in general, even now, PC gaming is one of the cheaper hobbies.

There are many reasons to buy the fastest consumer graphics card available. Value for money is not one of those reason.

Back
Top Bottom