Plex Vlc Help

Associate
Hi guys.

First off I apologise for my stupidity!! But i truly am clueless.

I have a plex server at home set up with plex pass for remote access. Im going away to my grans and im going to be there a while as she recovers from her operation. She is old school so has basic tv, no internet etc.

So on an evening im wanting to be able to settle down with my ipad and watch some content from my server.

How do I go about doing it please. Coverage cellular wise is good 5G and 4G mostly.

I need an idiots guide. I have no idea about setting up addresses for servers or anything like that. I play games on my pc at home.

Any help advice is greatly appreciated as always

Plex.tv/app

Do it now at home and check it works for you. Login, and get used to the access hoops to jump through to get it working for you.

And that's your best chance via the web. Guessing no App on a smart TV?

You can get a static IP from your internet provider. Does your iPad have a SIM card for internet? If not you will have to use your phone as hotspot. You may be better of getting Netflix for a month, you can download stuff to your iPad for offline viewing. A lot less hassle lol

Eh? I dont believe you need static ip or anything like that.. Just install the app on your ipad, sign in/link to your account and plex will do the rest. I have it installed on loads of devices outside my house and its very simple to get sorted.

Also you do not need plex pass to access remotely.

Good advice to try it before you actually move.

I'd also first go to your server settings and then remote access. Check it says "Fully Accessible Outside your network". Assuming it does then test it on your phone (while NOT connected to WiFi) as advised.

If it doesn't say your server is accessible outside your network then it could be a few things and probably fixable by adjusting a setting on your firewall/router or doing some port forwarding. There's lots of troubleshooting remote access help available online. But it's important you do that testing and trouble shooting before you leave for your Gran's.

Also think about what happens if you have a power cut or the Plex server crashes or something. Will someone still be at home to turn it back on for you?

Since you've bought Plex Pass and assuming you're going to use a mobile device at your Gran's then you have bought yourself the right to the mobile app for free and also you can sync content offline before you leave. You might want to do this with a few items just in case you find yourself in a spot of bother with signal or whatever at your Gran's.

Good advice to try it before you actually move.

I'd also first go to your server settings and then remote access. Check it says "Fully Accessible Outside your network". Assuming it does then test it on your phone (while NOT connected to WiFi) as advised.

If it doesn't say your server is accessible outside your network then it could be a few things and probably fixable by adjusting a setting on your firewall/router or doing some port forwarding. There's lots of troubleshooting remote access help available online. But it's important you do that testing and trouble shooting before you leave for your Gran's.

Also think about what happens if you have a power cut or the Plex server crashes or something. Will someone still be at home to turn it back on for you?

Since you've bought Plex Pass and assuming you're going to use a mobile device at your Gran's then you have bought yourself the right to the mobile app for free and also you can sync content offline before you leave. You might want to do this with a few items just in case you find yourself in a spot of bother with signal or whatever at your Gran's.
Sound advice. Thanks

Port forward the external port on your router to the local port on your server, remember that the uplink on your connection will potentially limit your quality and that means the server may need to transcode, you have PlexPass, so have the option of hardware transcoding with a suitable iGPU/GPU, you don't need PlexPass to transcode, but that means the CPU will be doing the heavy lifting via software transcoding, doing something like H265 to H264 is reasonably heavy, especially if it's 4K for example. Usual best practice is the server should be wired, have a UPS and be set-up to shutdown in the event of a power cut and start back up once power is restored. Test this before leaving.

Back
Top Bottom