Plumbed Plinth Heaters - Kitchen

Associate
Hi All,

Due to some alterations that took place before we moved in, we don't currently have enough heat output in our kitchen meaning that at this time of year it is always chilly.

Because of lack of free wall space I have been looking into installing a plumbed plinth heater such as the below:

https://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/smith-s-space-saver-ss5-fan-convector---kitchen-plinth-heater/

Does any one have any experience of their effectiveness and specifically the noise level of the electric fan within them?

Obviously they are not going to be silent, but want to make sure they are not too intrusive.

Thanks

Associate
We have got one in our kitchen due to having a large window and stone floor. I am quite happy with it, heat output is good on the low fan setting, you can still hear the fan - nothing ridiculous. I couldn't have it on the high setting all the time but for a burst of heat it is ok to put up with the fan noise.

At the moment I have got the dishwasher on using the sound meter on my phone it is 55dB, flicking to the low fan speed it is around 65dB and high it is 70dB.

The model here knows when the heating is on or off so the fan works when the heating is on etc.

I would buy another.

Soldato
You won't notice the fan to be honest, also majority of the time they are not plumbed in properly or balanced properly. They need 22mm tails and should have 22mm dedicated run otherwise they will not be effective. Many new builds slap these in with the plastic 10mm circuit!

Associate
OP
You won't notice the fan to be honest, also majority of the time they are not plumbed in properly or balanced properly. They need 22mm tails and should have 22mm dedicated run otherwise they will not be effective. Many new builds slap these in with the plastic 10mm circuit!

This will be going on a 15mm dedicated run that is left over from where a previous radiator seems to have been removed - it comes with 15mm tails so I presume this is ok?

Chris

Man of Honour
This will be going on a 15mm dedicated run that is left over from where a previous radiator seems to have been removed - it comes with 15mm tails so I presume this is ok?

Chris

I've got a Smiths SS7 and the installation documents state that 15mm connections are fine.

The fan noise is noticeable, but not obtrusive.

Associate
OP
I'd imagine it was pretty marginal considering you'd probably only use it for 15mins in the morning.

The plumbing is already in place, so no real hassle to install.

We want something to be on all the time when the heating is running, If not the kitchen becomes a real heat drain for the rest of the house and makes the adjoining rooms noticeably cooler.

I've ordered a Smiths S5 based on the BTU calculations I have done for the room.

Soldato
We've had a Myson plinth heater in our kitchen since it was re-done about 10 years ago and its worked well. As with your case, we were losing a radiator so needed something to replace it. We don't generally notice the fan noise unless we are right by it - certainly not when in the next room. It is run off the pipes that were in place for the radiator.

In hindsight going for underfloor heating would have been better - if more expensive at the time. We are particularly jealous of a friend who has it in her kitchen, but if you're not going that route a plinth heater is pretty good.

Associate
bloodiedathame I'd imagine it was pretty marginal considering you'd probably only use it for 15mins in the morning.

Have the heating on all the time here at the moment - work from home etc.

Permabanned
That's a good price, last time I looked at Myson heaters many years ago they were £500+

I think they are a great idea, so long as you don't have animals or you will get a lot of fur in the air.

Back
Top Bottom