Plusnet and FTTP connection settings for router

Soldato
Hi

I will be changing from a FTTC connection to a FTTP one next week when the engineer visits. However, I would prefer to use my Asus AX88U router rather than the HUB 2. I am told that my login username and password will be the same.

These are the FTTC connection settings...

fttc.png

this will be the fttp settings.......

fttp.png

within the WAN section of the Asus router I see no provision at all for any VLAN settings.

In fact, for the Merlin firmware, I think I'm, right in noting the VLAN settings for the LAN are not offered.

But, I'm not sure how to apply those noted VLAN settings for the FTTP connection via the Asus router...?

Thanks

Thanks. Perhaps that is an optional setting in their HUB 2 router..? I still have that sealed and boxed, I would prefer to keep it that way.
I just did not want the engineer to visit to install the FTTP connection with the ONT (?) box for me to not have the appropriate settings as noted for the Plusnet WAN connection.
I would prefer to keep using the Asus router.

The agent I spoke to sent me the settings for the FTTP connection as well as the link.....

That shows the FTTP connection as needing the VLAN settings. As you note, it probably relates to their Hub 2, altho that link title suggests otherwise.

Bottom line is I should be good with the Asus router connected to the ONT box..... Hopefully..!

I just started using my old tp link 4g router with plusnet. All I had to do was put username and password in the pppoe section. I didn't change any other settings. Router is just plugged directly into the ont.

Whilst I have 4g backup the wifi speed has turned to junk, so I'm on the hunt for something that will give me max wifi speeds and poss 2.5g lan for future proofing now.

What connection did you go for..? Mine will be a 500 connection. Good to know that it worked as you noted.

I do wonder on the capability of their HUB 2 router if I had gone for the 900 connection, advertised as their 1000. IIRC the Hub 2 only has 1Gb LAN ports and not, unlike the Virgin box for their cable service, a 2.5GB port.

I went for 900 (openreach so 900/100) and ps5 directly wired to the router achieved that. It also pulled 900 with the tp link router. Wifi to a beryl ax used as a repeater was about 400mbs with the hub2. Sadly the tplink wifi is around 100mbs, so I'm on the hunt for something that can max the connection.

The gui for the hub 2 is awful, which is why I tried my old router, otherwise I probably would have stuck with it.

Thanks. I use the Asus AX 88U as a VPN client and direct traffic through that etc, or not. However, it will be limited in its use as the speeds of the connection increase and the hardware could not cope with that aspect of the connection. It will be fine for the 500 tho, at least I hope so.

I keep thinking again about a SFF box and opensense or PFsense.........hopefully no rush.

A pity about the Hub 2 interface, probably suits many tho.

Back
Top Bottom