PlusNet Hub 2 Replacements?

Soldato
Hello

I've moved house to a larger property and had to change internet provider. I went from YouFibres router which was a massive router (think my works laptop has a smaller footprint) to a PlusNet Hub 2 which looks like a traditional ISP provided router.
I have FTTP with an OpenReach ONT box in the front corner of the house. My office is in the opposite back corner of the house and whilst internet works it's not great and even printing to my wireless printer seemed to take an age (also in my office).
There's 0 chance the mrs will let me start routing network cables anywhere so looking to replace the router. The one that youfibre provided used to be at the front of the house and could get an alright connection at the bottom of the garden so i'm going with the plusnet router is a bit rubbish in comparison.

I had a look online to see what i could replace it with and i am a tadge confused, so it seems i don't need a router as such and could just get something like a pair of TP Link Deco X50's, one plugged into the ONT box and then connect that to the second one half way between the ONT box and my office to boost the signal and in-tern connection. I could potentially just add to this if i need it extending to the patio outside for example.
What confuses me a little is why there's the option of getting something like the Archer AX1800 which is a more traditional style router which also allows for mesh, what would i get from buying one of these and a deco x50 instead of just two deco x50's?

Last question is around the connecting of devices... so i have painstakingly cobnnected all the TVs, ipads laptops etc to the current plusnet router, can i change the SSID of the main replacement device to the same with the same password and all the connected devices will just connect fine? I've not uniquely connected anything with specific IP addresses or anything.

**Edit** Just a thought i do have the old style TV aerial wall ports in every single room in the house, could i just put a MoCa 2.5 adapter in one of them and a mesh device of that?

Thanks
Ben

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom