Pocket Watches

Associate
I would really love a functional old pocket watch... I have many pocket watches I've collected over the years, I mostly collect old pocket watches from the 1800s and early 1900s none of them work. Some still tick tho. The problem with old pocket watches is that they don't work and even if they do work they wont work right and this is because all old pocket watches require servicing by a watch maker, which involves the watch being dismantled and cleaned and reassembled and oiled and this is a big job and costs hundreds to thousands, this is why the majority of old pocket watches hold little to no value no matter how old they are. Unless they are made from a precious metal or are of certain brand names such as Rolex then some have value but most generic old pocket watches don't have any.

They are nice pieces of history and nice to look at. I did attempt to see if I could repair a pocket watch, I bought the watch makers tools and an ultra sonic cleaner, I had practiced on a couple of old scrap pocket watches to begin with but it was a harder and tricky than I thought. I'm no good at it so I gave up before I ruin any watches further. Best just to leave them alone and appreciate them as they are.

I have thought about making some of my own old pocket watches from old pocket watch parts and then using a modern movement or even finding a small enough simple digital watch piece to fit inside one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Get one dated after the creation of the ETA 6497 / 6498.

They are still made today, have clones, apparently easy to work on and service ( for a mechanical movement )

Should be able to find working ones I would have thought.

Associate
OP
If you managed to fix or obtain a working one, you'd have to start wearing a waistcoat though. Have you got the figure to pull that look off?
I've got quite a few waistcoats in Victorian style I've only wore one for a week when I was dating a goth lady back in 2015. I don't have the confidence to wear them in public, maybe when I'm really old I'll start dressing as a Victorian gent. I've got the figure for it, they still fit me perfectly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You will also require a monocle... and a walking cane... and a smoking pipe... and a whacking great 'tache.... Just go full-on Hipster, really.

Are there no modern pocket watches that would be good enough?
Some of these, perhaps:

I've seen those ones before. I'm not keen on modern stuff in general. The old antique pocket watches are so much nicer even if doesn't work / missing hands... if its nice and chunky then I'm sure I could find a basic digital watch component to stick on the dial.

With an original antique pocket watch you have the history, the patina, build quality, the overall appearance of the watch is much nicer, nice bow and crown plus a nice ceramic dial. Modern pocket watches don't come close.

Last edited:
Soldato
i wear a vest for work, always fancied a watch too. quite a few if you search but none really look my fancy.
would far prefer the shoulder knife holster Doc had in Tombstone but i don't think the bosses would approve :D

Associate
OP
Maybe a Hanhart? I think they still use the original manufacturing processes.
Nah its got to be old. You can get old fully restored pocket watches from watch makers for less but I don't wanna spend a huge amount. I'm going to make or modify one. I've got plenty of parts, its just a matter of finding watch piece small enough and flat to fit onto the dial face of an old pocket watch. I did try a modern watch movement in one but the original dials are thicker than the modern dials so the post never lines up when fitting the hands.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have one somewhere, It was bought as a 40th birthday present by my folks. I insisted on a wind-up model rather than a battery one. Reason is I wore it for black tie functions, I used to attend a fair amount of those but they stopped after COVID.

Back
Top Bottom