POE Access Point Recommendation?

Associate
Currently have some of the BT whole home discs - all wired and they work great however we are doing some work on the house and I'd like to have them out of the way either ceiling or high level wall mounted so I'm trying to have a look at getting some POE Access points to make positioning easier without having to add high level sockets.

I'm currently using 3 of the BT discs. Once at the front and back of the house downstairs and one on the landing upstairs.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've seen the Zyxel NWA50AX WiFi 6 Access Point which seems a decent price but I've no idea. Essentially I'm just looking for something that will do the same as what I have now but that I can use POE :)

Soldato
Generally I suggest Ubiquiti as the default option for residential PoE AP’s. The AC-Lite used to be my go-to, and the set-up/management can be as simple or as complicated as you like. Obviously the newer Wi-Fi6 kit is available now, but I haven’t had chance to play with any…. Yet.

Soldato
Does anyone have any recommendations? I've seen the Zyxel NWA50AX WiFi 6 Access Point which seems a decent price but I've no idea. Essentially I'm just looking for something that will do the same as what I have now but that I can use POE :)

I have just swapped the APs I have at home and in the family homes to the NWA50's, admitteddly these are bottom of the NWA WiFi 6 pile but I'm super happy with mine. At my house I swapped out a UniFi UAP-AC-Pro (twice the rrp) for one of these and it's performing easily as well if not slightly better in terms of real throughput and I get a slightly better signal where previously I just about lost it.

Very happy and just as easy as the UniFi stuff to deploy only you don't need the cloud controller to do it.

Associate
OP
I have just swapped the APs I have at home and in the family homes to the NWA50's, admitteddly these are bottom of the NWA WiFi 6 pile but I'm super happy with mine. At my house I swapped out a UniFi UAP-AC-Pro (twice the rrp) for one of these and it's performing easily as well if not slightly better in terms of real throughput and I get a slightly better signal where previously I just about lost it.

Very happy and just as easy as the UniFi stuff to deploy only you don't need the cloud controller to do it.

Great! Think I might grab one then and see what the coverage is like and then add one or 2 more depending on how it gets on :)

Soldato

That might be a little bit disingenuous.

I would expect a newly released 2x2 AX access point to work as well an 8-year old 3x3 AC access point, especially as the 3x3 access point will almost certainly be running 2x2 anyway Due to a lack of 3x3 clients. We recently did some testing and literally everything beat the baseline UAP-AC-Pro. Even the new Mikrotik cAP AC XL beat it (and that’s only 2x2 AC!) And everyone knows how bad Mikrotik’s WLAN offering is.

UBNTs equivalent to the NWA50 is the U6-lite which is still 50% more than the NWA50 but I would be tempted to skip that and go to the U6-Pro which is 4x4 AC and AX.

The very fact that you can still buy a UAP-AC-Pro is precisely why I would still buy UniFi - their kit lasts and is supported for a very long time (usually, there are exceptions). Zyxel are fine, I’m sure. For the sake of spending an little extra bit of money I’d rather have UniFi.

Another option is the U6-Mesh which is a table-top access point from the UniFi range and the U6-InWall is what it sounds like - a wall mounted access point.

Back
Top Bottom