• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
Don't have a landline phone so my mobile is essential day to day.

I don't have spare phones lying about either... Well i might have a 6230 or something like that in a drawer somewhere but that's barely classed as a phone nowadays.

Not standard for Amazon or Logitech, they'd have sent a new one already.

Well surprise surprise, ended up having to go to Apple lakeside to get any action taken.

Flat out refused to replace the phone despite having proof that upon release these were swapped out with brand new in box examples due to this being a manufacturing error.

Offered to replace the screen, which I frustratingly had to accept, left me waiting 2 hours and then upon collection they informed me that the screen did not pass calibration and they'd swapped my phone out for a new (i.e. refurb) one.

Since then i've noticed that the frame has a couple of tiny marks on, but I cannot be going all the way there and back again so I'll have to keep this one.

Typical shoddy service from Apple. Really starting to consider other brands nowadays.

Soldato
Well surprise surprise, ended up having to go to Apple lakeside to get any action taken.

Flat out refused to replace the phone despite having proof that upon release these were swapped out with brand new in box examples due to this being a manufacturing error.

Offered to replace the screen, which I frustratingly had to accept, left me waiting 2 hours and then upon collection they informed me that the screen did not pass calibration and they'd swapped my phone out for a new (i.e. refurb) one.

Since then i've noticed that the frame has a couple of tiny marks on, but I cannot be going all the way there and back again so I'll have to keep this one.

Typical shoddy service from Apple. Really starting to consider other brands nowadays.
lol

Good luck getting much better customer service than that from a different mobile phone manufacturer.

Permabanned
Experience of person who switched from iPhone to new Google Pixel 2 XL, from Medium:

"Many friends mentioned being “locked into the Apple ecosystem”. For me, switching was as easy as or easier than switching from one iPhone to the other. The phone comes with a dongle you can plug into your iPhone."

Lots of other comments about the Pixel 2 XL features. Overall conclusion: very positive.

Anyone else here thinking of switching?

https://blog.usejournal.com/iphone7-to-pixel2-xl-8c63d5ab07f1

Soldato
Experience of person who switched from iPhone to new Google Pixel 2 XL, from Medium:

"Many friends mentioned being “locked into the Apple ecosystem”. For me, switching was as easy as or easier than switching from one iPhone to the other. The phone comes with a dongle you can plug into your iPhone."

Lots of other comments about the Pixel 2 XL features. Overall conclusion: very positive.

Anyone else here thinking of switching?

https://blog.usejournal.com/iphone7-to-pixel2-xl-8c63d5ab07f1
The Android ecosystem is still years behind Apple’s. All Google Wear watches are crappy, the ones that support NFC payments have fixed straps.

Android tablets are years behind the iPad Pros.

Android devices don’t support routing messages or calls to all/other devices.

There’s tons of other reasons why most people who own multiple Apple devices won’t switch easily.

Reading the article the guy literally had the iPhone and no other devices and most of his services were Google’s. Of course he had no problem switching.

Associate
Pixels were the only Android device I said I was interested in last year, and the Pixel 2 devices didn't make me want to switch at all.

Maybe Google will knock it out the park with the Pixel 3 this year and convince me.

But for now after switching to iOS in 2016, Ill probably remain here for another 1 year or two at least.

Soldato
The Android ecosystem is still years behind Apple’s. All Google Wear watches are crappy, the ones that support NFC payments have fixed straps.

Android tablets are years behind the iPad Pros.

Android devices don’t support routing messages or calls to all/other devices.

There’s tons of other reasons why most people who own multiple Apple devices won’t switch easily.

Reading the article the guy literally had the iPhone and no other devices and most of his services were Google’s. Of course he had no problem switching.

And that's what it comes down to. The way my iPhone X, iPad Pro, Watch S3 and AirPods all work together is magic. I love that when I'm using my iPad I can receive calls or reply to messages without having to go into another room and get my phone or take it off of charge.

Soldato
I can’t remember which versions they were (all bought at launch) but:

Faulty mute switch (after 30mins in store managed to force a replacement as “goodwill”)

Dust in screen x3 (developed over time which was a design fault of the iPhone 6/6S) I think they replaced two and then the last time they said it had to be a screen repair so had to wait a couple of hours while they did it.

Faulty speaker, “pretend new” (i.e. refurbished) phone swapped out in store.

Marks in bezel (new from box). New phone through Apple online shipped as an advanced replacement.

Battery health failed x2 (new phone for first one, battery replaced on another)

That’s 9 over the past 10 years off the top of my head. Got all the Genius Bar forms at home still.

You have all these problems yet continue to use an iPhone?
I'm not bashing Apple at all as I have had a 3G, 3GS and 4 - All of them have been good for me and never developed a fault

Associate
Just picked up an Iphone X yesterday which was an upgrade to My 6s plus. The guy that served my in store was a little terse and didn't offer any assistance with set up or anything, I don't know if that's normal since I've only ordered online before.

I found the swiping quite natural, the only slight annoyance on that front being the delay it takes to switch apps compared to a quick double tap on the home button.

Face id is a little hit and miss at the moment and is only letting me in about 70% of the time. I'll give it a few days to learn but might have to reset it.

The screen looks great. Colours look so much better than the old phone. Aspect is a little odd in unoptimised apps but I understand why they went for this ratio (a 16:9 screen with no borders would look quite blocky). In unoptimised apps the display area is the same as my GFs pixel 1 except the picture is better.

Haven't tested the camera much but initial impressions are that it's a lot better than my old phone. Everything feels a lot snappier too.

My main bugbear is the massive gap under the keyboard, I feel this could have been a lot smaller. There should really be an option for third party keyboards to shrink this.

Also the phone is really slippery! I used to rest my old one on the arm of my chair but this one just slides off. I can see this getting smashed at some point.

Associate
Just picked up an Iphone X yesterday which was an upgrade to My 6s plus. The guy that served my in store was a little terse and didn't offer any assistance with set up or anything, I don't know if that's normal since I've only ordered online before.

I found the swiping quite natural, the only slight annoyance on that front being the delay it takes to switch apps compared to a quick double tap on the home button.

Face id is a little hit and miss at the moment and is only letting me in about 70% of the time. I'll give it a few days to learn but might have to reset it.

The screen looks great. Colours look so much better than the old phone. Aspect is a little odd in unoptimised apps but I understand why they went for this ratio (a 16:9 screen with no borders would look quite blocky). In unoptimised apps the display area is the same as my GFs pixel 1 except the picture is better.

Haven't tested the camera much but initial impressions are that it's a lot better than my old phone. Everything feels a lot snappier too.

My main bugbear is the massive gap under the keyboard, I feel this could have been a lot smaller. There should really be an option for third party keyboards to shrink this.

Also the phone is really slippery! I used to rest my old one on the arm of my chair but this one just slides off. I can see this getting smashed at some point.
You can swipe the bar at the bottom of the screen for quicker app switch. For me it's way quicker as I only use 2-3 apps at the time.

The gap under the keyboard annoys me as well but doubt they'll change it as it's supposed to be easier to use because of this gap :/

Soldato
Having had the phone not too long since release, I would say that

• It is not worth its RRP
  • It feels somewhat like an experimental device for a better version
  • There is often glitchiness (like for some reason the notches will have some weird placement of icons in apps)

Associate
Seen quite a few out and about, but holding on for Septembers.

Had a play with one today, really like it.

But like you said I dont think its worth the RRP in my limited use.

Hows battery life? My 7s is poor and its starting to annoy me

Caporegime
Yeah same for me. Phone is a joy to use. So fast and battery last forever. Face ID works great especially how it overrides autopassword input on web forms.

Permabanned
My favourite phone ever. Had it since day of release and it just runs perfect. Lookign forward to 11.3 as thats the release when iOS is typically running well.

Soldato
Anyone have the same issue as me? When I upload a picture to imgur on safari on my phone, it won’t let me copy the BB code? I click copy and it highlights as if it’s copied but when I paste it, either nothing happens or it pastes the last text I copied.

Associate
Man I'm still so tempted, I keep seeing them out and I just saw one for sale used in great condition for about £750. I've been watching a few videos and I wanna bite.

But I have a 7, don't think its big jump plus Im trying to hold out for Septembers release.

Glad to see you all enjoying your iPhone X's though!

Battery life of my 7 is leaving a lot to be desired right now...Well tbh it has from day one.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man I'm still so tempted, I keep seeing them out and I just saw one for sale used in great condition for about £750. I've been watching a few videos and I wanna bite.

But I have a 7, don't think its big jump plus Im trying to hold out for Septembers release.

Glad to see you all enjoying your iPhone X's though!

Battery life of my 7 is leaving a lot to be desired right now...Well tbh it has from day one.

I moved from an iPhone 8 Plus and thought that was a good upgrade, battery is excellent, best battery I've ever had in a phone.

Back
Top Bottom