• Space Grey 256GB

Votes: 98 18.4%
  • I want one but it's too expensive

Votes: 125 23.5%
  • I'm not interested

Votes: 190 35.7%

• Total voters
Soldato
I think the 8-sized iPhone is a goner given the '9' sort of sits in between the previous LCD sizes (big screen but less phone due to smaller bezels), which will no doubt be gimped compared to the X/X Plus, so that most people will opt for the OLED models (as Apple would prefer). Don't know whether the SE will get any love; typically when Apple don't update a model annually it's usually not a good omen in the long run.

Associate
I think the 8-sized iPhone is a goner given the '9' sort of sits in between the previous LCD sizes (big screen but less phone due to smaller bezels), which will no doubt be gimped compared to the X/X Plus, so that most people will opt for the OLED models (as Apple would prefer). Don't know whether the SE will get any love; typically when Apple don't update a model annually it's usually not a good omen in the long run.
The iPhone Original = 4 = 4s = 5 = 5s = 5c = SE is in my opinion the natural ergonomic form of the device as intended by Ive and for me it’s the only form I’d purchase.
3g > 6 > 7 > 8 > X > 9 are just not true Apple devices in my opinion.

Edit: Syntax

Last edited:
Associate
Unsurprisingly:
iOS 12 beta hints at rumored iPhone X Plus with iPad-like landscape app design
calendar-ios-12-x-plus-phone.gif

u3goQya.jpg
GCR70np.jpg
Shame they won't give this same option to the 5.8" iPhone X...

Soldato
The 4.7 inch form factor is just too small. Analyst are expecting the rumoured cheaper version to be their best seller and with new LCD screen technology almost indistinguishable from OLED.

Soldato
The iPhone Original = 4 = 4s = 5 = 5s = 5c = SE is in my opinion the natural ergonomic form of the device as intended by Ive and for me it’s the only form I’d purchase.
3g > 6 > 7 > 8 > X > 9 are just not true Apple devices in my opinion.

Edit: Syntax
I’m afraid history and the onward march of technology are likely to be against you. Perhaps it’s time to try another manufacturer.

Soldato
The 4.7 inch form factor is just too small. Analyst are expecting the rumoured cheaper version to be their best seller and with new LCD screen technology almost indistinguishable from OLED.
I agree, for me it’s a terrible size both too small and too big all at once.
Still hoping for an SE 2 here.

Soldato
I’m afraid history and the onward march of technology are likely to be against you. Perhaps it’s time to try another manufacturer.

This.

Apple don’t make their phones disposable, it’s the market that does that. They are as much of a statement these days as they are a device for getting things done.

Associate
This.

Apple don’t make their phones disposable, it’s the market that does that. They are as much of a statement these days as they are a device for getting things done.

Apple and others are going to have to start thinking a bit more about sustainability, the form factors of all phones are pretty much set now, if a phone can shoot and edit 4K there’s not much need for massive changes to processor architecture, most of the AR/VR and AI work is already happening in data centres and new features in HTML are a lot slower in adoption than a yearly release cycle.

This summer is going to focus minds on environmental issues (finally), being the first company valued at 1 Trillion dollars is going to draw attention to economic sustainability and a lot of people are fully aware of the social sustainability issues of smart technology and the external costs of all three aspects.

What don't you trust about it exactly?
The name for starters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Apple and others are going to have to start thinking a bit more about sustainability, the form factors of all phones are pretty much set now, if a phone can shoot and edit 4K there’s not much need for massive changes to processor architecture, most of the AR/VR and AI work is already happening in data centres and new features in HTML are a lot slower in adoption than a yearly release cycle.

This summer is going to focus minds on environmental issues (finally), being the first company valued at 1 Trillion dollars is going to draw attention to economic sustainability and a lot of people are fully aware of the social sustainability issues of smart technology and the external costs of all three aspects.

I disagree phones have a long way to go until they are feature complete. Most phones have a melt down if you try and playback 4K hdr or a game. Batteries last just a few hours.

The ultimate very long term aim is to completely take over the tablet, laptop and desktop market with a single ‘compute’ device that you can dock into what ever form factor you need.

The S9 already comes with a dock and ‘pc like experience’, that is the way the market is ultimately going to go.

First will come the integration between devices, on Apple it is already here.

Tablets will then take over from Laptops which again is already happening slowly.

Finally phones will just take over from tablets and desktops.

Call me crazy but if you look back at the last 15 years I don’t think it’s far fetched looking at the next 20.

Associate
I disagree phones have a long way to go until they are feature complete. Most phones have a melt down if you try and playback 4K hdr or a game. Batteries last just a few hours.

The ultimate very long term aim is to completely take over the tablet, laptop and desktop market with a single ‘compute’ device that you can dock into what ever form factor you need.

The S9 already comes with a dock and ‘pc like experience’, that is the way the market is ultimately going to go.

First will come the integration between devices, on Apple it is already here.

Tablets will then take over from Laptops which again is already happening slowly.

Finally phones will just take over from tablets and desktops.

Call me crazy but if you look back at the last 15 years I don’t think it’s far fetched looking at the next 20.
Apple would have integrated all of these devices a long time ago if it was possible or even desirable to do so, I’m not sure if it will be possible to design a smart phone on a smart phone.

The single compute device would constitute storage: a USB stick or SSD for example, this is not where Apple have headed even though it is possible (the cloud will not be trustworthy or reliable enough to meet this purpose for at least a generation).

Soldato
Like who? I don’t trust Android.

Oh no! not that old chestnut again. What is it you don't trust and what is it you are hiding which you consider the authorities are the least bit interested in? If Android, MS, the NSA, MI6, FSB or Chinese intelligence want to look at my data then I say go on knock yourselves out. I can guarantee they would be asleep through boredom in minutes.

I think some people watch to much conspiracy TV.

Soldato
The name.
An early decision in brand/technology creation that has negative connotations.

I think the above is just a spoof post. No one can write off a product simply because they don't like the name (well not unless you're a fruit cake). I can tell you I run both iOS and Android and I would struggle to pick a winner, they are both great phone operating systems. Forget it's Android and call it 'Bill'.

Soldato
Apple would have integrated all of these devices a long time ago if it was possible or even desirable to do so, I’m not sure if it will be possible to design a smart phone on a smart phone.

The single compute device would constitute storage: a USB stick or SSD for example, this is not where Apple have headed even though it is possible (the cloud will not be trustworthy or reliable enough to meet this purpose for at least a generation).

I never said it’s possible now which is why it’s a 20 year prediction/road map. I seem to recall a very famous developer stating 640k of memory is more than anyone needed, look where we are now.

‘Smartphone technology’ isn’t anywhere near powerful enough to take over the desktop yet but in 20 years the game will have changed significantly. But actually for home use that technology (like an iPad Pro) is good enough for almost everyone outside of gaming, enthusiasts and power users. Hardly anyone falls into the latter and consoles dominate gaming.

Having a pocket sized smartphone by day and docking it into a screen for facebook and youtube by night really isn’t that much of a stretch even now. People have already tried it, they just failed. It’s a bit like how people tried the tablet long before Apple but it wasn’t until the iPad came along until the segment took off.

I honestly think Apple will be the only people to make this future work unless something fundamentally changes. Everyone else is just far too fragmented for now. I don’t think Apple has genuinely created something new for a long time, but what they are good at is executing old ideas extremely well.

Associate
I think the above is just a spoof post. No one can write off a product simply because they don't like the name (well not unless you're a fruit cake). I can tell you I run both iOS and Android and I would struggle to pick a winner, they are both great phone operating systems. Forget it's Android and call it 'Bill'.
/
I have, I will and i still think it was absolutely stupid to name the OS Android. But this was 2008 yet why is it still a problem?

I never said it’s possible now which is why it’s a 20 year prediction/road map. I seem to recall a very famous developer stating 640k of memory is more than anyone needed, look where we are now.

‘Smartphone technology’ isn’t anywhere near powerful enough to take over the desktop yet but in 20 years the game will have changed significantly. But actually for home use that technology (like an iPad Pro) is good enough for almost everyone outside of gaming, enthusiasts and power users. Hardly anyone falls into the latter and consoles dominate gaming.

Having a pocket sized smartphone by day and docking it into a screen for facebook and youtube by night really isn’t that much of a stretch even now. People have already tried it, they just failed. It’s a bit like how people tried the tablet long before Apple but it wasn’t until the iPad came along until the segment took off.

I honestly think Apple will be the only people to make this future work unless something fundamentally changes. Everyone else is just far too fragmented for now. I don’t think Apple has genuinely created something new for a long time, but what they are good at is executing old ideas extremely well.
This is all moot, can you design a smart phone on a smart phone? I couldn’t and would not want to, I’d definitely give it a go in an office based desktop situation though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom