Poll: Poll: UK General Election 2017 - Mk II

Who will you vote for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
On the 18th of April Prime Minister Theresa May called a snap general election, which will be held on the 8th of June.

In the first thread there was a poll asking you to indicate how you intend to vote on polling day. Since then much has happened, including the unveiling of party manifestos and the terrible event in Manchester. With this in mind, here is a new thread and a new poll. Use this opportunity to reconsider the options available, take another look at what each party is offering, and again vote according to your intentions on polling day.

Most importantly, once you have made up your mind and voted in the poll, find out where your nearest polling station is at www.WhereDoIVote.co.uk and vote on the 8th of June!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conservatives - Manifesto Page | PDF

Labour - Manifesto Page | PDF

Liberal Democrats - Manifesto Page | PDF

SNP - Manifesto Page | PDF (Not yet released)

Plaid Cymru - Manifesto Page | PDF

UKIP - Manifesto Page| PDF

The Green Party - Manifesto Page | PDF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TL;DR? Then try the quiz at iSideWith.com

It isn't perfect - I think it's most effective if you have at least a little knowledge of party policies - but even if it isn't that accurate for you it can get you thinking about issues you may not have considered previously.

Man of Honour
OP
Corbyn did very well there, and I'm not surprised. Even the questions on his expected weaknesses are getting knocked straight back with confidence. I'm really interested to see if this is repeated when grilled by Paxman, and then the contrast of Theresa May afterwards.

Man of Honour
OP
Jesus, Paxman is just embarrassing. This seemed like a pretty classy programme until he started kicking off. I find his attitude and "technique" quite unprofessional and immature.

Man of Honour
OP
North Korea would say differently. We're spending tens of billions on a replacement so it is relevant. It's the ultimate insurance policy.

I see nuclear weapons as more of a political tool than a military one nowadays. We have generations of people who lived through the cold war and the very real threat of nuclear war. Unfortunately they seem to be a more active portion of the electorate. I believe once they are gone we will find politicians can get away with winding nuclear capability down without facing political suicide.

Man of Honour
OP
Did she really just try to put Labour down with reference to costings in their manifesto?! What a clanger. That chuckle from the crowd says a lot.

:edit: for those not familiar, the expenditure plans in the Conservative manifesto were largely un-costed. To point fingers at the Labour manifesto - that went to the effort of calculating pretty accurate costings - is laughable, hence the laugh from the crowd :p

Man of Honour
OP
That's the thing. A "good deal" or "bad deal" is entirely down to opinion. We're not going to get better than we have now, so any deal will be bad. It's really how bad it needs to be before she will walk away that needs to be being talked about. To be honest I don't care that much about the point, because I don't believe a word she says, the whole "no deal is better than a bad deal" script is just rhetoric and "strong and stable" style posturing.

Man of Honour
OP
It's worth noting that the other poll had over 1700 votes cast, whereas this new one has currently less than a fifth of that. It will be interesting to see what happens to the numbers as more votes come in.

Man of Honour
OP
Yup - and I'm not sure labour had more than 15% in the first day or so of the poll. Weren't the lib dems beating them last time at the very, very outset?

In any case will have to watch that debate.

Yes, you're right. I'm not denying the appearance of the turnaround, just highlighting the situation with the votes as it stands. It does seem like quite the swing, and even if it returns to similar numbers once more votes are in the change in initial response says something.

Man of Honour
OP
I just read this on The Guardian's website https://www.theguardian.com/politic...emy-corbyn-tells-paxman-in-election-interview

He hinted that he would not be prepared to press the nuclear button when he said that he would, if needed, “write the appropriate letters to our commanders who are obviously very loyal, responsible naval officers,” adding: “As prime minister, I would do all I can to bring about a nuclear-free world. I am horrified at the very idea of a nuclear attack.”

Am I the only one that didn't see it that way last night? From what I saw and heard, his statement about writing "the appropriate letters to commanders" was saying the opposite, and that in fact he would be prepared to do it.

Man of Honour
OP
Are you surprised the media is twisting what he's said to suit their narrative?

Not at all, but I am surprised to see a typically left leaning newspaper falling on that side of the fence, when they could easily have fallen the other without appearing massively biased. It reads like a report in a Tory owned paper.

Man of Honour
OP
Corbyn and Abbott running the country is a sobering thought. 47 of his own MPs went against his 3 line whip. They don't respect or listen to him and he'd be a disaster if he won.

I do agree with your views on Dianne Abbot, however Jeremy Corbyn has actually won a vote for the leadership of his party. He has been won two leadership votes in as many years. The same can't be said for Theresa May. The fact is, she only came to power because she snaked her way through the Brexit turmoil, while all the other far superior candidates else tied themselves in knots. She didn't win the right to lead her party in the same way Jeremy Corbyn did.

Man of Honour
OP
I was really impressed by all but Nuttall and Rudd. They had a total nightmare.

However the biggest disgrace, by a million, billion miles, was the Prime Minister, the leader of our country, having the cheek of not turning up to a pivotal debate on the election she selfishly instigated. She is either so cowardly and incapable of live debate that she is incompetent, or she just can't be bothered. Either way, she isn't fit for government, and I think anyone voting for a party led by her needs to have a long hard think about their values.

Man of Honour
OP
The man is as tough as nails, don't confuse that with being down to earth and approachable. He has survived two of the toughest internal challenges (coups) to leadership faced by a politician in UK politics and come out with even greater party member support.

People seem to forget this. Strength can only be measured through the ability to endure challenges, and Jeremy Corbyn has certainly endured challenges in a way Theresa May hasn't. If any of the polls are anything to go by, then it's looking very much like she's actually failing the test that is this election.

Man of Honour
OP
Talk about what the "Garden Tax" might be is academic. All the manifesto says is that it is something they will consider as part of a review of council tax. Nothing else. Harping on about how it's going to affect x% of the population is utter nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom