Poor toilet flush, any plumbers? Dudley turbo 88

We have a toilet thats poorly flushing.
Lifting the cistern top off its a Dudley Turbo 88 which seems a well liked make.

I hadn't realised it was a dual flush, so we were operating as a normal toilet, but it seems our just push and release technique is a full flash anyway.

I tried flushing with the lid off and only about half the water empties. I allowed it to fill back up and tried the water saving flush, it went to exactly the same point.

Now it seems there are service kits available for these but wondered if any plumbers knew this mechanism and could confirm if this fault is one that requires a service kit to be used.
It seems something is up as its not using much water and the fact the full and part flush are using exactly the same amount looks dubious.

Anyone?

Soldato
OP, in the pictures shown in the post above me are the white dots in the middle of the unit in place on your toilet or are they open holes? These grommets are what control the amount if water in a flush they should all be in place for max water flow. If you are only using half the cistern I expect the top one is missing...

Edit: lol turbo

OP, in the pictures shown in the post above me are the white dots in the middle of the unit in place on your toilet or are they open holes? These grommets are what control the amount if water in a flush they should all be in place for max water flow. If you are only using half the cistern I expect the top one is missing...

They are there and in place

You just made me look closer though!

Just above those "spots" is a circular vent (in the blue plastic) I just tried covering it and guess what... full flush

So my guess is that something inside the blue plastic is "less than optimally working" and its maybe the sort of thing that would be resolved by a service kit

Soldato
You just made me look closer though!

Just above those "spots" is a circular vent (in the blue plastic) I just tried covering it and guess what... full flush

So my guess is that something inside the blue plastic is "less than optimally working" and its maybe the sort of thing that would be resolved by a service kit

Going by the pictures that is also ment to have a bung in it (loos different to the white ones) the simple cheap temporaryish fix is empty the cistern and lob a load of blutac around said vent or something similar ;)

Going by the pictures that is also ment to have a bung in it (loos different to the white ones) the simple cheap temporaryish fix is empty the cistern and lob a load of blutac around said vent or something similar ;)

I think its how it works out if you do the single depress (ie full flush) or hold down for a economy flush.

My guess something inside the blue is worn so its leaking air, you can kind of hear an air sucking noise as the water gets to that point and thats exactly the level where it stops.

When I covered the hole with a finger it drained right to the bottom.

Yes a bodge bluetack fill will suffice for now. :)

Thanks for your help

I've looked and it seems the hole I am blocking is a way to stop the siphon of water.
so once air enters the siphon stops and then the tank refils.

It deffo looks like the internals of the blue bit are worn, the service kit is some new innards for that (looks like a plastic membrane and a spring basically)

Think I will just block the hole for now, seems fine to me and I doubt we would bother hold the handle for a small flush anyways.

Man of Honour
It sounds like the diaphragm is gone, that's the plastic membrane in the service kit.
When you flush, the diaphragm raises inside the valve and lifts water up with it and creates a syphon effect, chucking water in to the pan. When the diaphragm gets weak or worn it can't pull as much water up with it as it should thereby giving you a weaker flush.
Once they're knackered they need replacing, as they don't get better, and it's a simple job to do :)

Soldato
Diaphragm is probably worn or split, they're very cheap, you may have to trim one with scissors to fit, last one I bought cost me 20p, any plumbers merchants or decent DIY place will have them. Simple enough to fit yourself too.

Even found you a video tutorial LOL!

Last edited:
Soldato
That sounds like the loo at Morrisons -Press small button -dribble -press large button - dribble - I got annoyed and slammed my finger on both buttons and it worked a treat -total full flush - Was it made like that or was it broke. ?

Back
Top Bottom