Porcelain vs Sandstone

Permabanned
Anyone have porcelain patio tiles, wife is worried they are slippery but they (imo) look nicer than sandstone. Been quoted to build a new patio, do load of rubbish clearing and sort the borders and get artificial grass. Just deciding on tiles.

Soldato
Porcelain patio tiles are non slip, stain resistant, dont fade like concrete slabs and will keep their apperance much longer than any other outside slab.
Deffo worth it over sandstone imo.
Marshalls Arrento are one of the most cost effective tiles, about £45 m2 just to buy

Soldato
Go porcelain.

Sandstone will never clean up as good as new.

Porcelain requires no maintenance, is hard, is more stain resistant and IMO looks better.

We have had porcelain laid along with artificial grass and are glad we went with porcelain. It's not at all slippery.

0_IMG_20201216_100009.jpg

kai

kai

Soldato
Agree, i have Sandstone. In hindsight, i just wish i had gone porcelain and paid the extra. The maintenance of keeping sandstone clean is a headache. I am little OCD with them but we went to a friends house last week and they just had porcelain laid. The difference and overall finish is far superior.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah thanks for the replies, from what I have read so far they are not slippery but then the wife talked to friends partner, a "so called" landscape gardener and he started wanging on about them being slippery and expensive(this bit is true). So thought would ask the experts on all topics. :p

The only thing really to decide then is if we want to pay the extra, its 2 quite large areas about 80m2, about 4.5-5k worth of Porcelain tiles. Probably 1.5-2k less for Sandstone.

Soldato
Got a natural stone patio and it cleans up good as new. Just cleaned it in the last 2 weeks and its nicely refreshed.

Caporegime
Depends where you are tbh.
In the 3 counties we use Lawsons.
Also check instore at your local Jewsons, Travis Perkins, they sometimes have them on offer (maybe a different brand, but they will have their own porcelain suppliers)

Glasgow Scotland.

So will likely have to be online. Ideally the cheaper the better don't plan on staying here for longer than another 10 years maximum.

Soldato
Glasgow Scotland.

So will likely have to be online. Ideally the cheaper the better don't plan on staying here for longer than another 10 years maximum.

There should be a few building suppliers nearby, when you have a day off, just pop in store and ask at the counter.
edit, here is a travis perkins for you 265 Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow G41 1PT

or jewsons 300 Crownpoint Rd, Glasgow G40 2UJ
https://www.jewson.co.uk/landscaping/driveways-paving/garden-paving?q=:relevance:thickness:20+mm

Last edited:
Caporegime
There should be a few building suppliers nearby, when you have a day off, just pop in store and ask at the counter.
edit, here is a travis perkins for you 265 Pollokshaws Rd, Glasgow G41 1PT

or jewsons 300 Crownpoint Rd, Glasgow G40 2UJ
https://www.jewson.co.uk/landscaping/driveways-paving/garden-paving?q=:relevance:thickness:20+mm

Thanks for the help.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/gar...-slab-silver-595x595x20mm-pack-of-64/p/957146

This looks like it will be ideal. I'll pop in to the local on you posted and have a look at all the options though and see what they are like in person.

I'll also need to measure my space out properly and get some drawings made to get quotes from some landscapers.

It's a big job.

Caporegime
Thanks for the help.

https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/gar...-slab-silver-595x595x20mm-pack-of-64/p/957146

This looks like it will be ideal. I'll pop in to the local on you posted and have a look at all the options though and see what they are like in person.

I'll also need to measure my space out properly and get some drawings made to get quotes from some landscapers.

It's a big job.

Aye you'll want to know the square meterage for sure.

I want to do about 30sqm and it's easily £800-1200 on slabs alone depending on what you get.

Soldato
allow 5 x 600x600 slabs per m2
They also will need to be laid on a full mortar bed and a priming slurry HAS to be applied to the bottom of every slab or they wont stick down

Back
Top Bottom